With a drug store on almost every corner in the U.S., getting prescriptions filled is the easiest it has ever been, but when you’re sick, it can be exhausting and inconvenient.
Instacart has built its reputation on providing convenience for its customers, giving them back hundreds of hours previously spent grocery shopping. But does Instacart deliver prescriptions along with your tea, soup, and Kleenex? Keep reading to find out!
Does Instacart Deliver Prescriptions In 2022?
Instacart delivers prescriptions on behalf of three grocery and drug store chains: mega-retailer Costco, pharmacy Rite Aid, and mid-Atlantic grocer Wegmans. Customers may have their prescriptions delivered for a smaller fee in conjunction with a grocery order that meets a minimum total or if they are Instacart Express members in 2022.
We have a lot to cover here, including how Instacart’s prescription delivery works (it’s not what you might be thinking), how much it costs, how fast you can expect it on your doorstep, and much more. Here is all you need to know!
How Does Instacart Prescription Delivery Work?
No matter which pharmacy you receive your prescription drugs through, there is one thing in common: You aren’t actually ordering your Rx with Instacart.
No, instead you submit your prescription through your retailer – be that Costco, Rite Aid, or Wegmans – and you will be given the option to receive delivery via Instacart.
Bear in mind, though, that not all locations for these stores participate with Instacart delivery for prescriptions, so if you’re not sure, it’s best to call/stop in and ask first.
Step-by-step, the process of placing a prescription delivery order goes like this:
- Submit your prescription to the pharmacy of a participating Costco, Rite Aid or Wegmans. You can do this online, have the doctor call it in, or bring the physical prescription slip in, it works no matter the method (for Costco and Wegmans). For Rite Aid, you will have to physically present the prescription.
- Wait to receive a text notification that your prescription has been filled and is ready for pick-up or delivery. For a participating pharmacy, you will receive a link in the text that will take you to Instacart if you’d like to set up a delivery.
- If you do not already have an Instacart account, you will have to sign up for one (it’s free). If you’re already a member, make sure you’re signed in. You can use Instacart either via their app or online at their website. First thing, the site will prompt you for your address.
- Is that all you want from the retailer? If not, you can add other items to your cart before checking out!
- When you’re all set, head to check-out. This is where you pick your delivery time, enter delivery instructions, and set a tip for the shopper. You’ll see how much your order costs total, as well. I’ll break down all the delivery fees under the next subheading, but it can be as cheap as $4 and as much as $15.
- Hit Place order and you’re just about done!
You should continue monitoring your phone for notifications about any extra shopping being done, as well as delivery notifications when it’s on its way.
There is one very important thing you should know about Instacart prescription delivery: you must be 18, and you must be able to show a valid ID at the time of delivery.
This means you need to make sure you schedule the delivery for when you will be home.
If the shopper arrives at your home and you’re not there, the prescription goes back to the store with them.
How Much Is Instacart Prescription Delivery?
Instacart prescription delivery is not cheap. It’s definitely a luxury/convenience and is priced accordingly.
So let’s get into it.
The delivery fees differ based on a variety of factors; first and foremost, are you an Instacart Express member?
Instacart Express is the company’s membership-based program that gives customers unlimited free delivery on groceries and reduced service fees.
Express members get free prescription delivery with a grocery add-on!
And that’s the second condition – are you adding on $35-worth of groceries?
If you add on groceries, it’s a lot cheaper, so you might want to consider getting your shopping done in conjunction with the prescription delivery.
So, here are what the fees look like:
- With Instacart Express + $35 in groceries: Free prescription delivery
- With Instacart Express and no groceries: $14.99 priority delivery, $12.99 same-day, $10.99 next-day
- Without Instacart Express + $35 in groceries: $4 delivery fee (all time slots)
- Without Instacart Express and no groceries: $14.99 priority delivery, $12.99 same-day, $10.99 next-day
There are also service fees – a small percentage of your order total – as well as a tip for your shopper/driver.
How Fast Is Instacart Prescription Delivery?
With Instacart delivery, you can get your prescription in as fast as one to two hours – but it’ll cost you.
You can also schedule your delivery for later in the day; how late depends on the store’s own hours.
And you can even schedule your delivery for the following day if you know you aren’t going to be home the day before.
What Prescriptions Can’t Instacart Deliver?
Instacart can’t deliver every single type of prescription out there, unfortunately.
One big “no” for the service is prescriptions that require refrigeration.
If you got sick as a child and had to take amoxicillin, you may remember your parent pulling that out of the fridge. That’d be a no-go for Instacart delivery.
The other major category involves opioids.
Considering the issues surrounding opioid addiction in the U.S., and the lengths people will go to obtain them, it’s no surprise that Instacart chooses not to put its shoppers in potential danger.
Does Instacart Deliver Prescriptions From CVS?
Instacart does not deliver prescriptions for CVS. The retailer does, however, offer its own prescription delivery.
Does Instacart Pick up Prescriptions From Walgreens?
Instacart does not pick up and deliver prescriptions from Walgreens. Walgreens has its own delivery service, as well as its own robust pick-up service.
Instacart delivers prescriptions on a limited basis, partnering with Costco, Rite Aid, and Wegmans to bring your Rx to your front door.
Instacart Express members pay the least for the convenience, while delivery fees can range up to $15 per prescription delivery in some instances.