PayPal operates in almost every country around the world, but there are still some countries and regions where PayPal is not available
So, if you live or operate a business in Ukraine, you may be wondering when you will be able to use PayPal’s full functions? I did some research, and here is what I found!
Does PayPal Work in Ukraine In 2023?
PayPal does currently work in Ukraine, but its functions are very limited in 2023. As of now, you cannot receive or withdraw payments through PayPal, you can only buy items or send payments. Unfortunately, PayPal has rejected an expansion into Ukraine, and it’s unknown if that will change in the future.
If you currently live in Ukraine and are wondering how to create a PayPal account, and how to use the limited functions that PayPal offers, then keep reading for more information!
When Will PayPal Be Available in Ukraine?
Currently, PayPal is operating in Ukraine, but its functions are very limited.
As of 2023, PayPal customers in Ukraine can buy items and send payments, but cannot receive any payments.
Recently, there was a meeting between Ukraine’s National Bank (NBU) and PayPal representatives to discuss the expansion of PayPal functions in Ukraine.
Sadly, the discussion ended with PayPal rejecting the expansion into Ukraine.
Some of Ukraine’s citizens believe PayPal rejected the expansion because of Ukraine’s economy and legislation.
However, no one has the real answer to why PayPal rejected the expansion into Ukraine.
Unfortunately, at this time, there is no plan to expand PayPal’s functions in Ukraine.
After PayPal rejected the expansion, no one knows if or when the next meeting to discuss another expansion of PayPal into Ukraine will be.
How Can I Get PayPal to Work in Ukraine?
To get PayPal to work in Ukraine, you need to open up a PayPal account and connect your bank account or debit/credit card to your PayPal account.
To open a PayPal account, you must do the following:
1. First and foremost, go to PayPal.com or the PayPal app, and click “sign-up.”
2. Second, choose the type of account you wish to create, and then click “next.”
- You can choose to create a personal or Business account.
- Since you cannot receive money through PayPal in Ukraine, there is not much use for a business account, but you can still create one if you wish to.
3. Next, you will be asked for your phone number.
4. After, you will fill out a form with your name, email address, and create a password.
5. Once you are finished with the form, click “continue.”
6. Then, you will have to fill out a second form. You will need to add your nationality, street address, and any extra information.
7. Finally, when you are finished with the second form, click “continue,” and your account will be created.
Now your PayPal account has been created. Don’t forget to go to your email and confirm your email address.
Your next step to get PayPal ready to work in Ukraine is to link your credit or debit card, or your bank account to your account.
To link a credit or debit card to your PayPal account, do the following:
1. Begin by making sure you are logged into your account (either on PayPal.com or the PayPal app).
2. Second, go to the “wallet” tab.
3. Third, Click “Link card.”
4. Then, select your card type.
5. Enter the needed information.
6. Finally, click “save.”
Once you have finished linking your credit or debit card, you may see a “confirm credit card” link in the card details, which you can do here.
If you would like to link your bank account to your PayPal account instead, here is what you need to do:
1. Log on to your account.
2. Second, go to the “wallet” tab.
3. Next, click “Link a bank account.”
4. Then, you will need to select your bank account.
- There will be a link that says “Don’t see your bank?” at the bottom of the screen. If you don’t see your bank listed, then you will need to click this and follow the prompts.
5. After you have selected your bank, enter your bank account information
6. Finally, click “Agree and Link.”
Furthermore, you may be able to link your bank account instantly through your online banking login information, as long as your bank is eligible.
PayPal will also be able to confirm your account instantly through this method- you just need to enter your online banking ID and Password.
If you had to enter the account information manually, you will also have to confirm your account manually, which you can do with this method.
Once all of this has been finished, you will be able to use PayPal to buy items and send payments in Ukraine.
To make an online purchase:
1. Select the PayPal button when checking out at any store that accepts PayPal.
2. After selecting PayPal, log in to your PayPal account, and quickly check out using just your email and password.
Additionally, you can purchase items in-store at any store that accepts PayPal the same way.
To send money in Ukraine, do the following:
1. First, log in to your PayPal account.
2. Once logged in, click “send & request,” and then select one of the 3 options:
- “Pay for goods and services.”
- “send to friends and family in the US.”
- “send to friends and family internationally.”
3. After selecting your option, enter the email address or phone number of the person you’re sending money to
4. Next, enter the amount you want to send, and then click “Continue,”
5. Lastly, review the information, and then click “send money now.”
If you are looking to learn more, you can also see our posts on whether or not PayPal will work in Thailand, if PayPal will work in Ethiopia, and does PayPal own Venmo.
PayPal is currently operating in Ukraine, but its functions are very limited. As of now, PayPal customers in Ukraine can only send payments or buy items or services, and cannot receive or withdraw payments yet.
Unfortunately, no one knows if or when this will change, because PayPal has recently rejected an expansion into Ukraine.