Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen’s customer feedback highly determines what will be offered on the menu. Consequently, a meal with low ratings is likely to be discounted.
If you are wondering whether Popeyes still offers Cajun rice, keep reading and get informed!
Does Popeyes Have Cajun Rice In 2023?
Popeyes doesn’t have Cajun rice at its restaurants as of 2023. Popeyes took a bold step and permanently removed Cajun rice alongside green beans from its menu. Also, the removal of Cajun rice from the menu was necessitated by customer complaints about the company. In place of the two menu items, Popeyes added more sides.
Keep reading and learn more about Popeyes’ Cajun rice ingredients, why the restaurant no longer offers Cajun rice, and much more!
What Is In Popeyes’ Cajun Rice?
Even though there is no clear information from Popeyes’ recipes on the components of Cajun rice, some copycat recipes list the following ingredients:
- Long-grain rice (brown or white rice)
- Ground beef
- Chicken gizzards
- Green bell pepper
- Green onions
- Cajun/Creole seasoning
Before Cajun rice was taken off the menu, Popeyes’ Cajun rice was one of those crazy popular side dishes you could enjoy at all franchise locations.
Further, Popeyes’ Cajun rice could be ordered with or without an entree, so the rice used to be a meal for some people.
Why Doesn’t Popeyes Have Cajun Rice Anymore?
Popeyes removed Cajun rice from its menu to honor its customers’ plight, who constantly voiced their dissatisfaction with the dish.
For example, guests thronged Popeyes’ customer service feedback sections with endless complaints about Cajun rice and green beans.
In response, Popeyes assured its customers the items would be removed from the menu and replaced with better sides.
That said, Popeyes’ sides dishes substitutes include:
- Coleslaw: Popeyes’ coleslaw is made of crispy green cabbage tossed in a bit of sugar and mayonnaise, enhancing its sweet, creamy flavor.
- Cajun fries: The Russet non-starchy potatoes-sliced fries have a crazy fan base at Popeyes. Cajun seasoning and Cajun fries are best with any meal from Popeyes.
- Biscuits: Popeyes’ biscuits have become a necessity for guests. The biscuits are hearty and tossed in buttermilk.
- Garlic rice: The dish contains rice richly seasoned with garlic.
- Cajun cheese fries: A recently introduced Popeyes side seasoned with Cajun fries topped with Cajun gravy, shredded cheese, and bits of bacon.
- Mashed potatoes: Made from real boiled potatoes, exquisitely merged with cream, butter, and salt.
Did Popeyes Discontinue Its Rice?
Yes, Popeyes discontinued rice from its side menu, citing feedback submitted by the guests.
That said, Popeyes permanently deleted rice from the company’s menu to demonstrate care and concern for the restaurant’s loyal customers.
However, the permanent removal of Cajun rice from Popeyes’ menu rubbed some fans wrong.
With that, the action left Cajun rice and green bean lovers livid even after the company provided substitutes.
Is Popeyes’ Cajun Rice The Same As Dirty Rice?
According to some copycat recipes, Popeyes’ Cajun rice is the same as dirty rice since they are all variations of the same dish.
However, the rice dishes may use different types of meat, different quantities of veggies, or even vary in spices.
Ideally, the term “dirty” originated from the rice’s brown color when cooked with diced meats and spices.
Sometimes, the dish is referred to as Dirty Rice, Cajun rice, or even Rice Dressing.
Popeyes’ Dirty Rice recipe consists of white rice, beef, sausages, veggies, and spices combined in one pot.
How Much Was A Large Cajun Rice At Popeyes?
Even though Popeyes’ menu does not mention the price of a large Cajun rice since its removal from the menu, some sources, such as fast-food menu prices, show it was sold for $3.99.
How Do You Make Popeyes’ Cajun Rice With White Rice?
Unfortunately, Popeyes did not disclose its Cajun rice recipes, although there are copycat recipes you can adopt to make your favorite Cajun rice using white rice.
For example, below is a copycat recipe on how to make a replica of Popeyes’ Cajun rice:
- One cup converted or medium-grain rice
- One tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- One large clove of garlic, minced
- One tablespoon of purchased Cajun seasoning
- One heaping tablespoon of tomato paste
- Kosher salt
- Two tablespoons of fresh lime juice, more to taste
- Two tablespoons cubed unsalted butter
- Sliced scallions for serving
- Hot sauce for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the oil.
- Add the pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, for two minutes.
- Stir in the Cajun seasoning, tomato paste, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook, occasionally stirring, for three minutes.
- Add the lime juice, then the butter, and stir until the butter melts.
- Stir the mixture into the rice, and gently reheat if necessary.
- Season to taste with lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Serve topped with sliced scallions and hot sauce, if you like.
Will Popeyes Bring Back Cajun Rice?
Popeyes won’t reintroduce its Cajun rice despite pressure from the restaurant’s Cajun rice lovers.
As a matter of fact, the company made it clear that it permanently deleted the item from its menu, indicating no return of Cajun rice.
Even after Popeyes’ official communication on removing the side dish, some disappointed customers have gone ahead and launched a petition against Popeyes restaurant to return the rice.
Popeyes no longer serves Cajun rice at its restaurant locations.
That said, Cajun rice and green beans were among the removed sides from the company’s signature menu because of multiple complaints from customers.
However, removing Cajun rice disappointed some fans; Popeyes assured its customers by introducing many new sides.