There are plenty of criteria you can use when choosing which shipping company to go with. Things like delivery speeds, prices, and available services are all common things people use when making their choice.
But have you ever considered looking at where a company is from? You probably haven’t, but it’s certainly an interesting idea to consider. In this article, you’ll find out more about DHL, including where DHL’s headquarters are located, so keep reading!
Is DHL A German Company in [currentyear]?
DHL is a German logistics company providing courier, package delivery, and express mail service in [currentyear]. It’s a division of the German logistics firm Deutsche Post. Although DHL was originally an American company, Deutsche Post began to acquire shares in 1998, and had a controlling interest by 2001. By the end of 2002, Deutsche Post had acquired DHL’s remaining stock.
To find out more about who owns DHL, then you’d better keep reading this article for more useful facts and tips!
Who Owns DHL?
Deutsche Post is the parent company of DHL.
DHL is one part of Deutsche Post DHL Group, one of the world’s leading logistics companies.
Currently, it’s made up of several business units, including:
- DHL Paket
- DHL Express
- DHL Global Forwarding
- DHL Freight
- DHL Supply Chain
This company operates in over 220 countries and territories worldwide.
Overall, this makes it well positioned to offer a wide range of international express, freight transportation, eCommerce, and supply chain management services.
When Did Germany Buy DHL?
Deutsche Post began to acquire shares of the (then) American-owned company in 1998. By 2001, Deutsche Post owned a controlling share of the company (51%).
At the end of 2002, Deutsche Post acquired the remaining 49% of the company.
From there, it created the “new” DHL by merging the old DHL, Danzas, and Securicor Omega Euro Express. Together, this new company became known as the Express division.
Where Are DHL Headquarters?
DHL operates out of Post Tower in Bonn, Germany.
What Does DHL Mean in German?
DHL stands for Dalsey, Hillblom, and Lynn.
These are the last names of the company’s founders: Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom, and Robert Lynn. These men were American and founded DHL in San Francisco in 1969.
When Deutsche Post acquired the company in the late 1990s, they decided to keep the name. As a result, DHL doesn’t have a meaning in the German language.
Does DHL Work in Germany?
Not only does DHL serve more than 220 countries and territories worldwide, but it also operates domestically in its home country of Germany.
Indeed, the company operates domestic services like DHL Paket, DHL Päckchen, and ExpressEasy.
Here’s what to expect with each of these services:
- DHL Paket: Offers fast delivery (1 to 2 business days) for small and large packages within Germany.
- DHL Päckchen: A low-cost solution for shipping smaller packages within Germany. This service delivers in 1 to 2 business days.
- ExpressEasy: Designed for urgent shipments within Germany. It offers delivery within the next business day with a choice of delivery time (before 9:00 AM, 10:00 AM, or noon).
Who Is the Largest Logistics Group in Germany?
With more than half a million employees, Deutsche Post AG, the parent company of DHL, is the largest logistics group in Germany.
In 2021, the company posted €81.7 billion (about $81 billion) in revenue.
Currently, Schenker Aktiengesellschaft is the second-largest German logistics company.
It’s a subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn and has activities covering European land, sea, and air transport, plus contract logistics.
Deutsche Bahn posted €47.3 billion ($46.9 billion) in revenue in 2021, with €1.2 billion ($1.2 billion) of that directly attributable to Schenker.
In third place behind Deutsche Post and Schenker Aktiengesellschaft is Dachser Group SE & Co. KG.
This family-owned company offers transport and forwarding services to 3 business segments: European logistics, air and sea freight, and food logistics.
In 2021, it posted revenue of €7.1 billion ($7 billion).
To know more, you can also read our posts on whether DHL is reliable, why your DHL package is on hold, and what is DHL’s supply chain.
Although originally founded in the United States, DHL has been a German company since 2001. At that time, Deutsche Post owned 51% of the company. But, very quickly, the German logistics provider purchased the remaining 49% of the company.
DHL is currently the largest logistics company in Germany, with yearly revenues well into the billions. Not only does the company operate worldwide but it also offers plenty of domestic services for its German customers.