M-Pesa and PayPal have combined their services to create PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-Pesa.
If you are wondering how to use PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-Pesa, like how to transfer money between the platforms, I looked into it and this is what I learned!
M-Pesa to PayPal In 2023
To use the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-Pesa, you must have eligible Kenyan accounts for both PayPal and M-Pesa and they must be linked. Furthermore, transferring money from PayPal to M-Pesa is called withdrawing or transferring money, and transferring money from M-Pesa to PayPal is called top up your PayPal account.
If you would like to learn how to transfer money from PayPal to M-Pesa, how to top up your PayPal accounts, how long transfers take, and more, then read on!
Can I Transfer Money from M-Pesa to PayPal?
Fortunately, you can transfer money between M-Pesa and PayPal using the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-Pesa.
However, as stated before, transferring money from M-Pesa to PayPal is not called transferring, it is called top-up, or top up your PayPal account.
Additionally, to do so you have to have eligible Kenyan M-Pesa and PayPal accounts and you have to link your two (2) accounts together.
To link your M-Pesa and PayPal accounts:
- Start by going to PayPal Mobile Money and logging in with your PayPal username and password
- Next, enter your M-Pesa account phone number
- Following, you will be sent a 4-digit verification code
- Finally, enter the code to confirm and complete linking your accounts
Once your accounts are linked and you are fully registered for the PayPal Mobile Money Service with M-Pesa, you can transfer money between your accounts.
Therefore, to top up your PayPal account with M-Pesa:
- First, you must be logged in to your PayPal account
- Then, click “Top Up”
- Next, you need to enter the amount in USD you want to top up and click “Calculate” to get the equivalent amount in KES
- Additionally, the amount that is converted into KES is the amount you need to transfer from your M-Pesa account to your PayPal account
- Following, go to your M-Pesa menu and click “Lipa Na M-PESA”
- Next, click “Pay Bill”
- Then, enter Business Number 800088 and enter your phone number as the Account Number
- After, enter your M-Pesa PIN and click “Send”
- Finally, you can use your topped up PayPal balance to shop pr send payments
Furthermore, if your PayPal balance is not in USD you will have to go to your PayPal account and confirm the top-up request.
Additionally, top-ups on your PayPal account are usually processed in “real-time”, or within minutes, however, they can take up to 4 hours.
Furthermore, to withdraw money from PayPal to M-Pesa:
- First, log into your PayPal account
- Second, click “Withdraw”
- Once you click “Withdraw”, the available balance in your account will be displayed
- Additionally, you will only be able to withdraw the available amount in USD
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw in USD
- After you will be shown the amount you will receive in KES, the exchange rate for the currency conversion, and the estimated transaction processing time
- Last, review the details and click “Confirm”
How Long Does It Take to Transfer Money from M-Pesa to PayPal?
Transfers from PayPal to M-Pesa can take anywhere from 2 hours to 3 calendar days, which includes weekends, to fully process.
Furthermore, the time it takes to process the transaction depends on the transaction value.
Additionally, you will be shown an estimate of how long the transfer will take before you confirm the transaction.
Moreover, as stated before, top-ups to your PayPal account usually take minutes, but can take up to 4 hours.
How Much Does It Cost to Send Money from M-Pesa to PayPal?
To withdraw money from PayPal to M-Pesa it will cost 3% of the total amount converted from USD to KES.
Furthermore, top-ups, from M-Pesa to PayPal, cost 4% of the total amount you are moving to your PayPal account.
If you are looking to learn more, you can also read our posts on how long do PayPal refunds take, Metamask to PayPal, interesting statistics about PayPal, and MasterCard to PayPal.
PayPal and M-Pesa have created a service that allows Kenyan users to use both PayPal and M-Pesa, and transfer money between the platforms.
Moreover, transferring money from M-Pesa to PayPal is called a top up, and transferring money from PayPal to M-Pesa is a normal transfer.
Furthermore, PayPal top ups take anywhere from minutes to 4 hours to process, and transfers from PayPal to M-Pesa take between 2 hours and 3 days.