You’ve probably never paid too much attention to the shipping labels on the packages you send and receive, let alone the size of the label.
However, if you need to print a label for a package, and are unsure if the size you have is acceptable, you may wonder- does USPS accept 4×6 labels? If you’d like to find out, keep reading!
Does USPS Accept 4×6 Labels In 2024?
USPS’ preferred label size is 4” x 6” as this is the industry standard in 2024. Customers can print 4×6 labels from the Click-N-Ship platform on the USPS website or use the Label Broker Service and have the labels printed at the Post Office free of charge. 4×6 labels can be printed on label paper or on regular printer paper.
Keep reading our article to find out even more about using 4×6 labels for your USPS shipping needs, such as where these labels are sold, how to print them, and more!
What Size Is a USPS 4×6 Label?
As the name suggests, a 4×6 label from USPS has a height of 4 inches and a length of 6 inches.
How Are 4×6 Labels Sold?
4×6 shipping labels are sold in various forms, including sheets, rolls, or decks.
All of these forms will work when creating and printing 4×6 labels for shipping with USPS, however, the type you choose will depend on what kind of printer you are using.
How Do I Print a 4×6 Label on USPS?
To print a 4×6 label from USPS’ online Click-N-Ship service, follow these steps (be aware that they apply only to domestic packages):
- Enter the label information. This includes the return and delivery address, package details (dimensions and weight), and the shipping date. After entering the information, proceed to the “Select a Service Type” section.
- Select the desired Service (e.g. First-Class, Priority Mail) and add any Extra Services to your shipment by clicking on the corresponding radio button.
Click the “Add to Cart” button to review your Shipping Cart if you’re done. Or, click “Add to Cart” and “Start New Label” if you’re printing more than one label.
- Review the label information on the Shipping Cart page. On this page, you can edit any incorrect information or print another label.
When you’ve made the necessary changes, click the “Next: Billing Information” button to purchase your labels.
- Select your payment method, enter the required information, and click the “Next: Pay and Print” button.
- From the Payment Confirmation page, you can print your label, save your label as a PDF file, create another label, schedule a pickup, or print your label at a Post Office location through the Label Broker feature.
How Do I Print 4×6 Labels at the Post Office?
If you don’t have access to a printer, USPS offers the Label Broker feature within the Click-N-Ship platform.
This feature allows you to pay for your shipping online and print your label at the Post Office.
To take advantage of the Label Broker service, select “Print Labels Later at the Post Office” from the Click-N-Ship confirmation page.
You will receive a QR code by email. Take this code with you to the Post Office with your package.
A retail employee will scan the code, print the label, affix it to your package, and place your item into the mail stream.
Can You Print 4×6 Shipping Labels on a Regular Printer?
If you do not have access to a specialized label printer, you can print 4×6 labels from a regular printer.
For best results, USPS recommends using a laser printer or an inkjet printer that prints at least 600 dots per inch (DPI).
Using this method, you can print either 1 or 2 labels per standard letter-size 8.5” x 11” paper. Once printed, simply cut the excess paper off and tape the label to your package.
Do USPS Shipping Labels Have to Be 4×6?
USPS’ preferred size for shipping labels is the industry standard of 4×6 inches.
However, a single size isn’t practical for all packages, so both 6”x3” and 4”x4” inch labels are also acceptable.
In most cases, the shipping labels you use will come in the industry-standard 4×6 size. That means finding the labels you need is an easy task. What’s more, you can print them directly from the USPS website.