If you’re an online merchant who does a lot of shipping, then there’s a good chance you’re looking for a way to save money on shipping and manage your tracking requests.
If so, getting a FedEx meter number is a way to take care of both tasks at the same time. In this article, you’ll learn what a meter number is, where to find yours, and how to fix any errors you might encounter, so keep reading!
What Is a FedEx Meter Number in 2023?
A FedEx meter number is a unique identification number issued to online merchants in 2023. This number allows merchants to find specifically negotiated shipping rates with FedEx and other courier companies. It also allows merchants to keep track of packages and get prompt responses on any tracking requests they may receive. It can be found by logging into FedEx Developer.
I’m sure you want to see step-by-step instructions on how to get your FedEx meter number, so make sure you read this entire article for more useful facts!
What Does a FedEx Meter Number Do?
A FedEx meter number is a unique identification number issued to every online merchant.
This number allows merchants to find specially negotiated shipping rates with FedEx.
You can also use a FedEx meter number with other freight carriers (e.g. UPS and DHL) and benefit from the same reduced shipping rates you’ve already negotiated with FedEx.
As well, it allows online merchants to track packages and get prompt responses to all of their tracking requests.
Where Can I Find My FedEx Meter Number?
Whether you’re a new merchant looking for your FedEx meter number for the first time or an established seller who has misplaced their number, follow these steps:
- Log in to FedEx Developer using your FedEx user ID and password. Select “Web Services for Shipping” under the “I want to” drop-down menu before logging in.
- Select “Move to Production” on the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click on “Get Production Key” when the page loads. It should be in the middle of the page.
- Several question fields will appear. Answer the questions in the following way:
- Do you intend to resell your software? No.
- Please check the box next to each type of FedEx web service you intend to use in your integration solution: FedEx Web Services for Shipping (includes Rate, Track, etc.)
- Please indicate whether you are developing your FedEx integration solution as a Corporate Developer or as a Consultant: Corporate Developer.
- Click “Continue” once you’ve entered your answers.
- Accept the terms of usage.
- Fill out all of the required company information designated by an asterisk. (If you need to update your profile settings while getting your FedEx Meter Number, check the box that says “Please check this box if you want to update your Profile…”)
- Click “Continue” to access your FedEx Authentication Key and FedEx Meter Number.
- You should see the Meter Number underneath the Authentication Key.
If you’re using third-party shipping software from a company like Sellbrite or ShipStation, make sure to update your shipping carriers page with your FedEx account number and meter number.
How Do I Fix FedEx Meter Number Is Not Registered Error?
Having a meter number is great for saving money on shipping and tracking packages, so when it’s not working, you’ll definitely notice.
Indeed, you may receive the error message “Unable to register meter: Shipping address provided does not match our records” when getting rates or creating labels with FedEx services.
You’ll usually see this error when using third-party shipping software. It happens because a “Ship From” location doesn’t match the FedEx account’s shipping address.
There are two things you can do to try to resolve this issue:
- Go to Settings > Shipping > Carriers & Fulfillment, then click the Settings link for your FedEx account. Update the FedEx account address to match your FedEx shipping address, then click Confirm.
- Go to Settings > Shipping > Ship From Locations, then edit the “Ship From Location.” Update the “Ship From” address to match your FedEx shipping address, then click “Save Changes.”
To double-check that this intervention worked, go back to the “Orders” tab and try to get a rate for the same order that returned the error.
If you fixed the issue, the error message should disappear and display a rate from FedEx.
If you’re an online merchant, then you absolutely need a FedEx meter number in order to save on shipping and keep track of all of the packages leaving your warehouse.
Signing up for an account involves just a few simple steps. Plus, troubleshooting is straightforward if you have any issues with the program.