Over the last several years, digital payment processors like Apple Pay have become the most convenient and fastest way of payment.
However, you may wonder what Apple Pay is and how it works. If so, keep reading to see what I discovered!
What Is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is a digital, contactless payment option for Apple devices only in 2023. Apple Pay allows you to connect your debit and credit cards to your Apple devices, such as your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Macbook, through your Apple Wallet and use them directly to pay for items and services.
If you are interested in learning more about how to set up Apple Pay, where Apple Pay is accepted, and more, then continue reading!
How Can I Set up Apple Pay?
Thankfully, setting up Apple Pay is simple and fast. First, to set up Apple Pay, you have to set up your Apple Wallet.
Therefore, to set up your Apple Wallet, it’s already installed on your Apple device, so all you need to do is go to your Apple Wallet app on your device and follow the instructions to open it.
Once your Apple Wallet is set up, you can add your debit, credit, or prepaid cards to your Wallet to use for Apple Pay.
Moreover, to add a card(s) on your iPhone:
- First, Open your Apple Wallet app and click the add button
- It will look like a circle with a “+” in the center
- Then, click “Debit or Credit Card” and “Continue”
- Next, follow the steps it gives you to add your new card(s)
- Additionally, if you are asked for your bank name or card issuer, you can choose your bank or card issuer from the list or search for them with the search bar
- Lastly, you will need to verify your information with your bank or card issuer
- To verify your information, you may be asked to provide additional information or to download an app
Furthermore, to add a previous card(s) to your iPhone:
- As before, open the Wallet app and click the add button
- Then, click “Previous Card”
- Next, choose the card(s) that you want to add back to your Apple Wallet and click “Continue”
- Finally, follow the steps to finish adding your card(s) again
- You may have to verify your information again
Additionally, if you have an Apple Watch paired with your iPhone, you can add the card(s) to your Apple Watch.
Therefore, to add a card to your Apple Watch using your iPhone:
- Begin by opening your Apple Watch app on your paired iPhone
- Second, click the “My Watch” tab and then click “Wallet & Apple Pay”
- Next, click “Add Card”
- Then, click “Debit or Credit Card” to add a new card, or click “Previous Card” to choose a card you had previously on your Apple Wallet
- Finally, click “Continue” and then follow the steps you are given to finish adding your card
- Additionally, you may need to verify your information, even if you have done so in the past
In addition, to add a card to your Apple Watch using your watch:
- First, open the Wallet app on your Apple Watch
- Second, click “Add Card”
- Then, click “Debit or Credit Card” to add a new card, or you can click “Previous Card” to choose a card you previously had on your Apple Wallet, and then click “Continue”
- Last, finish the steps you are given to add your card
- As before, you may have to verify your information
Lastly, to add a card to your Macbook or iPad:
- Start by opening the Wallet settings on your device
- For Macbook, go to “System Preferences” and then “Wallet & Apple Pay”
- For iPad, go to “Settings” and then “Wallet & Apple Pay”
- Next, click “Add Card”
- Finally, follow the step to finish adding your card and verify your information
Furthermore, if you are unable to add your card to your Apple Wallet, click here to find out what to do.
How Can I Use Apple Pay?
You can use Apple Pay using your Apple Wallet on your Apple devices to pay for items and services in stores, within apps, and on the internet.
To use Apple Pay to pay in stores using your iPhone:
- First, use your phone’s Touch ID, Face ID, or passcode to open your Apple Wallet (your default card will automatically be your first card)
- However, if you want to use a different card, click on your default card and then click on the new card you want to use and authenticate it
- Once your Wallet is open and your card is ready, hold the top of your iPhone near the contactless reader until the word “Done” with a checkmark appears on the screen
Furthermore, to use Apple Pay to pay in stores using your Apple Watch:
- Start by double-clicking the side button
- Afterward, your default card with open automatically
- If you want to use a different card, scroll down on the screen and choose the one you want
- Once you have your card open, hold the display of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader until you feel it vibrate and you hear a beep
Moreover, to use Apple Pay to pay online or within apps using any Apple device:
- Begin by clicking the Apple Pay button or choosing Apple Pay as your payment method
- If you want to use a different card other than your default card, click the “Next” button or “Expand Menu” button next to your default card
- Secondly, if you haven’t entered your billing and shipping address and contact information, you will have to enter them before moving on
- Finally, you need to confirm the payment
- Therefore, to confirm the payment using the iPhone or iPad, you can use your Face ID, Touch ID, or passcode
- Furthermore, to confirm the payment using Apple Watches, you need to double-click the side button
- Lastly, to confirm the payment using Macbooks, you can use your Touch ID or use your Bluetooth-connected iPhone or Apple Watch
Additionally, once your payment is processed, the screen will say “Done” with a check mark.
Where Can I Use Apple Pay?
Fortunately for Apple users, Apple Pay is accepted almost anywhere!
Moreover, Apple says, “You can use Apple Pay in stores, within apps, on the web in Safari, for transit in some countries and regions, and in Message Apple.”
Furthermore, if you want to use Apple Pay in-store or online, look for the Apple Pay symbols. Apple Pay’s first symbol is a rectangular box with the Apple logo next to the word “Pay.”
Moreover, Apple Pay’s other symbol is an oval shape with a sideways Wi-Fi symbol inside it.
In addition, if you want to use Apple Pay in other countries like China or Japan, they will have some additional symbols that look different from the regular US symbols.
Furthermore, if you will be paying in-store with Apple Pay, you can “search for Apple Pay in Maps to see nearby stores that accept Apple Pay.”
Are There Fees for Apple Pay?
Fortunately, there are no fees or extra charges to use Apple Pay! Apple says, “No. Apple does not charge any fees when you use Apple Pay – in stores, online, or in apps.”
Moreover, if you notice an extra charge you don’t recognize on your card or statement, you should contact the store you bought the item from or you can report an issue to Apple.
Therefore, to report a payment issue to Apple:
- First, open your Apple Wallet
- Second, click on the card that was used
- Next, click the transaction you have an issue with
- Then, click the amount
- Finally, click “Report an issue” and follow the details to report your issue
To know more, you can also read our posts about Apple Wallet, is Apple Pay safe, and do Apple stores accept cash.
Apple Pay is a contactless payment option that can connect your debit or credit cards to your Apple devices so you can pay directly with your devices. Furthermore, you can use Apple Pay to pay in stores, online, within apps, and more.
Unfortunately, Apple Pay is only available on Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, and Apple Watches.