If you are a gamer and have used Microsoft DirectX for years but are wanting to learn more about it, or if you have simply noticed this program on your PC and are wondering what it does, this is the article for you.
Furthermore, it goes into detail explaining what exactly Microsoft DirectX is, what it does, why it is necessary, and so much more!
What Is Microsoft DirectX In 2023?
Microsoft DirectX is a series of application programming interfaces that provide low-level access to hardware components such as video cards, sound cards, and memory cards in 2023. This means that at a basic level, DirectX allows games to “talk” to video cards. Additionally, games that use DirectX can use multimedia accelerator features more efficiently, which improves your multimedia experience.
If you are interested in learning everything you need to know about Microsoft DirectX, you’ll want to read on!
Why Is Microsoft DirectX Necessary?
There are many reasons why we need Microsoft DirectX.
To start, it is widely used by game developers for the making of video games for Microsoft Windows and Xbox.
Plus, it can also be used for visualization as well as graphics-related tasks, and these tasks include designing elements of CAD and CAM engineering.
What Are Some Advantages Of Using Microsoft DirectX?
Additionally, many advantages come from using Microsoft DirectX which include the following list:
- You can do a high level of 2D designing and use its easy-to-handle tools to get your desired result in your project
- Plus you can do real-time 3D rendering and do general-purpose computing of graphics.
- For editing and manipulation of Audio tracks or audio files, you can edit whether it is high level or low level.
- You can even create interfacing of different input devices such as keyboards, game controllers, mouses, joysticks and so much more.
What Are Some Disadvantages Of Using Microsoft DirectX?
Above, we listed some of the advantages of using Microsoft DirectX, and here we will discuss some of the disadvantages of using it:
- While designing a high-resolution image, you may face some difficulties because it creates problems in visual fidelity and spaces between lines are not properly arranged due to a lack of some features.
- If you do not have the correct graphic cards designed for different APIs, sometimes your system panels may get heated up.
- Sometimes there may be a problem when you want to uninstall DirectX because the Windows environment doesn’t allow users to uninstall it from their computers. However, MS has planned to resolve this problem, allowing users to do this without losing their data and computer speed.
How Can You Check Which Version Of Microsoft DirectX Is Installed On Your Computer?
Microsoft DirectX is a suite of multimedia technologies that are required by many Windows games.
Furthermore, if your PC does not have the right version of DirectX installed, your game most likely will not work properly.
However, whichever product box you have, it should tell you which version you need.
So, to find out which version of DirectX your PC has, you’ll want to follow these steps:
- You will want to start by using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, selecting the Start button, and typing dxdiag in the search box, then hit “Enter” on your keyboard.
- In the Diagnostic Tool, select the System tab, then check the DirectX version number under System Information.
- When using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, for the first time, you might be asked whether you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed. It is recommended by Microsoft that you select “Yes” in order to help ensure that your drivers have been signed by a publisher that has verified their authenticity.
Additionally, to get the latest version of DirectX for the version of Windows that you have, you will want to complete a Windows Update.
However, if you already have Windows 10, you can be sure that you already have the latest version of DirectX installed.
Also, keep in mind that not all versions of Windows can run the latest versions of DirectX.
Why Does Microsoft DirectX Matter For Gaming?
Microsoft DirectX has many new features that have been brought up throughout the past few years.
To start, DirectX uses Raytracing 1.1, and with more games picking this up, DirectX natively integrates the feature into Windows as well as Microsoft’s upcoming console, the Xbox Series X.
Not to mention it also has variable rate shading which allows a GPU to utilize its resources more effectively for rendering in-focus objects, leading to better frame rates and more fidelity.
Furthermore, you can also get features such as Sampler Feedback that increase texture quality while utilizing fewer resources.
Additionally, you will get a suite of changes that should make next-generation games run smoother.
Also, DirectX helps game makers to deliver more immersive games with higher-quality textures and life-like lighting.
Plus, with these features incorporated into Windows, you will start to see immediate changes in the difference.
This is of course, if you have a video card that works with the latest version of DirectX.
Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces with the purpose of handling tasks related to multimedia which includes a video on Microsoft platforms.
Furthermore, when used alongside the correct programs, versions, and equipment, DirectX can be extremely helpful in creating the best possible gaming experience.