Amazon takes thousands of factors into consideration to ensure its customers have the most convenient shopping experience possible. One of these factors is employing motivated people to work at the Amazon warehouses.
If you know someone who works at Amazon, you may hear of pack flow and ask, what is pack flow? And is it an important element of the job? I asked similar questions, so here’s everything I found out about pack flow at Amazon!
What Is Pack Flow At Amazon In 2022?
Pack flow is the rate at which Amazon employees pack products into boxes; usually, Amazon requires packers to maintain a pack flow of 65 scans per hour as of 2022. The packer position at Amazon is an entry-level warehouse job that typically pays between $15 to $18 an hour, depending on the warehouse location.
If you want to learn more about pack flow and the packer position at Amazon, including the job requirements, additional job responsibilities, and much more, keep on reading! I’ve researched everything you need to know!
What Does Pack Flow Mean?
In a general sense, pack flow is a type of packaging completed by warehouse employees. Typically, pack flow refers to packaging single items in an assembly line.
What Is Pack Flow At Amazon?
At Amazon, pack flow is the rate at which a warehouse employee packages items into their correct boxes.
Usually, Amazon requires pack flow employees (packers) to maintain a rate of 65 packages scanned per hour. Also, pack flow is a metric associated with the packer job at Amazon.
What Does An Amazon Packer Do?
A packer’s responsibility at Amazon is to pick, pack, and stock products to ensure enough stock for shipping purposes.
Essentially, a packer’s job is to make sure Amazon orders are ready for transportation. Additionally, these employees must mark and label product containers.
Further, some of the other job responsibilities for packers include:
- Measure and count product containers to ensure the proper quantity
- Check the ensure each product is of high quality
- Report damaged products
- Stack and pile goods in their correct containers
- Prepare containers for shipping using various equipment
- Cleaning containers before placing items into them
What Do You Need To Be A Packer At Amazon?
According to Amazon’s job description for packers, these employees must have the following skills and abilities:
- Organizational skills
- Physical strength and good stamina
- Prior experience working in a warehouse
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of how packing machines work
- Ability to operate packing machines
- Ability to carry out basic maintenance tasks
- Exceptional manual skills
- Teamwork capabilities
How Much Do Packers Make At Amazon?
At Amazon, the packer position is an entry-level job, so the starting hourly wage is between $15 and $18. Of course, the hourly wage depends on the specific Amazon warehouse.
Also, Amazon offers every employee the opportunity to advance within the company, so packers can eventually earn more in a leadership role.
How Do You Become An Amazon Packer?
Because a packer is an entry-level position at Amazon, the job is relatively easy to obtain.
That said, the first step to getting this job is to visit the Amazon job board and search for “Packer” in the search bar.
Also, Amazon notes that when you apply for a warehouse position, you may not get the packer role and may be placed wherever the warehouse needs help.
With that, you typically find out where you will work in the warehouse during employee orientation.
Essentially, it is up to the manager in question whether or not you receive a job as a packer.
What Do You Need To Be A Successful Packer At Amazon?
Current packers at Amazon offer several helpful tips to ensure you are efficient and safe as possible on the job.
With that, here is some of the advice previous or current Amazon packers have for potential employees:
- Ensure all the boxes are upside down (this saves you time because you have to tape the bottom of each box)
- Wear gloves and long sleeve shirts (this helps protect you from paper cuts on your hands and forearms)
- Get comfortable insoles (you have to stand for several hours in this job)
- Wear sturdy, comfortable work shoes (Amazon gives employees a $110 credit to purchase work shoes from Zappos)
- Bring headphones (if your manager and warehouse allow it)
What Are The Benefits Of Being An Amazon Packer?
Fortunately, there are several benefits tied to being an Amazon packer, including:
- Varying interaction with coworkers (this job is recommended if you are an introvert who likes to keep to yourself)
- Productivity rate expectations are lower than in other positions in the warehouse
- Good pay
- Access to employee benefits
- Ability to work full or part-time
What Are The Downsides Of Being An Amazon Packer?
Of course, some downsides come with being an Amazon packer, which include the following:
- The job can get repetitive
- Standing for long periods
- Strenuous work (especially when packing larger items)
- Failure to meet productivity rates can lead to writeups
Pack flow at Amazon is the rate at which employees scan and place items into boxes. Typically, Amazon wants packers to maintain a pack flow of 65 scans per hour.
To be a successful Amazon packer, you should have good strength and stamina, experience working in a warehouse, and be able to work in a team.