Verizon is one of the most popular wireless providers in the United States, and if you have Verizon, you might have seen the term Share Name ID before referring to a service you have.
Have you been trying to find out what Verizon’s Share Name ID is and how it works? If so, continue reading to find out what I’ve discovered about this cool service!
Verizon Share Name ID is a service that Verizon offers free to customers that allows you to change the name that shows up on caller ID. You can edit your name to anything you want up to 15 characters long. Verizon also allows you to use a combination of numbers and letters in 2024.
Do you want to know more about Verizon Share Name ID, such as how to turn it off and other relevant details? Keep reading below to find the answers you’re looking for!
How Do I Change My Verizon Caller ID Name?
It’s very simple to edit your Verizon Share Name ID on both the My Verizon app and through the My Verizon website, but you must be the account owner to change the name.
To edit your name using the My Verizon app, simply follow these steps:
- Open My Verizon on your device
- Go to the bottom and select “Account”
- Enter your password if required
- Locate the phone number you want to edit
- Select “Manage Device” for that number
- Go to “Preferences” and select “Share Name ID”
- Edit the name to anything up to 15 characters and then select “I accept the Terms & Conditions”
- Select “Update” to finish
Similarly, you can use the My Verizon website to edit your Share Name ID quickly using the following guide:
- Sign in to My Verizon on your web browser
- Go to “Account” and select “Apps & Add-Ons”
- Select “My Add-Ons & Apps”
- Click to “See All”
- Find the “Share Name ID” option and select “Product Details”
- Find the line you want to manage and choose “Custom” to edit your name
However, it’s important to note that it could take up to 24 hours before any name changes you’ve made will become active.
You can easily turn off your Verizon Share Name ID through the My Verizon website, as long as you’re the account owner or manager, by following these steps:
- Sign in to your My Verizon account
- Go to the “Account Apps & Add-Ons” section
- Find “My Add-Ons & Apps” and select “See All”
- Locate “Share Name ID” towards the bottom of the screen
- Select “Manage Add-On”
- Look for the line you’re looking for and then choose either “Just This Line” or for “Multiple Lines”
- Click “Continue” on the bottom when you’re done
- Once you’ve reviewed the information, select “I accept the Terms & Conditions”
- Tap on “Confirm” to remove
Verizon has a few requirements about what’s acceptable for a Share Name ID if you’d like to change your name to a custom name, including:
- Cannot begin with a space
- Cannot contain all numbers
- Needs to stay within 15 total characters including numbers and letters
- Cannot be offensive
- Cannot be inappropriate
- Must have a last name and first name
- Only a few special characters are allowed which are: @ signs, hyphens, commas, apostrophes, and an ampersand
- Must have more than a single name
Additionally, you can choose to either show your phone number without a name or keep your default name.
Verizon Share Name ID is compatible with any device that’s on a monthly standard plan and has voice capability.
However, there are multiple devices that Share Name ID is incompatible with, such as the following:
- Dual-SIM devices
- Prepaid phones
- Prepaid plans
- Phone numbers found in My Numbers
- Number Share devices
Unfortunately, Verizon Share Name ID won’t show up for all outgoing calls, since the Share Name ID service only works if you meet all of the criteria below:
- The person doesn’t have you listed as a contact
- The receiving phone is compatible with Call Filter
- The receiving phone has caller ID service on
This means that it’s likely your Share Name ID won’t appear on the phones of those you are calling and it often doesn’t work outside of the Verizon network.
If you want to block your name from appearing on a caller ID and have Share Name ID enabled, you can still do that by just using *67 before placing the phone call.
Further, instead of any name appearing when you place that call, it’ll show up on the caller ID as “Restricted.”
You’ll have to remember to enter the 10-digit phone number if you plan on blocking your name and begin the call with *67.
Verizon Share Name ID is a free service offered by Verizon that allows you to change the name that appears on someone else’s caller ID.
You can change your name to include a combination of letters and numbers.
However, Share Name ID will only work on certain devices and a receiving phone that’s compatible with Call Filter and doesn’t have you listed as a contact.