Often companies, such as Amazon, offer work visas to allow skilled workers from other countries to work in a new country.
Therefore, if you’re interested in working at Amazon, it’s a good idea to find out if the company sponsors work visas first, so keep reading this article to learn more!
Does Amazon Offer Work Visas In 2022
Amazon offers work visas for international workers in specialized fields like IT. Multiple types of work visas exist, but the most common types provided by Amazon are the H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, and E-1. Before applying for a visa, workers must have applied for and been offered a job at Amazon. Visas cost $190 plus associated fees in 2022.
If you’re an international professional interested in joining the Amazon team and would like to learn more about the Amazon work visa process, keep reading!
How Can I Work for Amazon If I Am Not a US Citizen?
In order to work in the United States as a non-US citizen, workers are required to have a work visa.
However, the type of work visa required depends on the worker’s employment status.
For example, if you aren’t a US citizen and don’t have residency in the United States, you’ll need to meet certain criteria before starting a job application process with Amazon.
Does Amazon Offer Work Visas?
Since Amazon aggressively recruits MBA graduates from abroad each year, it’s no surprise that it tops the list of companies that offer H-1B work visas.
Over time, this ranking will likely increase, as Amazon has announced its plans to hire over 1000 international MBA grads in various areas.
These areas include finance and retail, product management, and program management.
What Are the Different Work Visas That Amazon Offers?
Several types of work visas are offered by Amazon.
What type of visa the employee is eligible to receive is based on various factors, such as skills, the country they’re seeking to move to, and experience.
For example, if the employee has a Bachelor in IT and has excellent English skills, they should fill out an application for one of the following three visas: H-1B visa, L-1B visa, or E-1 visa.
For further information about the types of visa’s Amazon, check out the info below!
- H-1B Visa (Specialized Occupations and Fashion Models): This classification applies to people who wish to provide services not in the U.S. as immigrants but are coming temporarily for other purposes, such as DOD cooperative research, specialized professional services, or modeling.
- L-1A Visa(Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager): With L-1A nonimmigrant classification, a U.S. employer is permitted to transfer an executive or manager from one of its affiliated foreign offices to one of its offices in the United States, as well as enabling a company that does not yet have an office in America to send an executive or manager with the purpose of establishing the position.
- L-1B Visa (Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge): Likewise, an L-1B nonimmigrant visa allows companies to transfer employees with specialized knowledge and skills from a foreign office to the United States. Also, it permits companies without any U.S headquarters to send a representative to help establish one.
- E-1 Visa (Treaty Trader): Finally, an E-1 classification is reserved for nationals in qualifying countries who want to come to the United States, solely for international trade. In addition, certain employees can also be eligible under the E-1 designation.
What Are the Requirements to Get an Amazon Sponsored H-1B Work Visa?
Before Amazon agrees to sponsor a work visa for employees, it must verify that the person could bring a lot of value to the company.
To get a work visa, employees must have a great skill set and years of experience in the field they want to work in, and an offer from Amazon for the position they want.
You also need to prove your eligibility for the visa by providing work history and documents, such as your resume and degree certificate.
Eligible employees must intend to work in a job that requires both theoretical and practical skills, as well as highly specialized knowledge.
According to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website, H-1B eligible employees must have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent in the target area.
In addition, visa applicants must meet at least one of the following:
- Job function is so complex that only someone with a degree can perform it
- It is expected by the employer that anyone that performs this role holds a degree
- In order to properly perform the duties of the role, specialized knowledge must be obtained. Therefore at least a Bachelor’s degree level of education is necessary.
- Education must come from an accredited university
- Foreign degrees are accepted but must be the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree
- For positions requiring certification, applicants must obtain unrestricted state certification in the state they will be employed
If the visa is for a fashion model, they must be well-known and distinguished.
In order to be eligible for a US work visa, the prospective petitioner (Amazon) must include a Form ETA-9035/9035E and LCA certified by the Department of Labor (DOL) with Form I-129.
See links to DOL offices and USCIS forms here.
How Can International Workers Apply for a Work Visa to Work for Amazon?
Since USCIS requires several documents from an employer before starting your visa application, the process technically begins after you’re an employee.
New Amazon employees must have already applied for and accepted a job with Amazon in the U.S to qualify for a work visa.
Next, your employer must file Form I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker with USCIS.
Without a doubt, this is the most important document required to begin the visa process!
Some of the work visas, more specifically the H-1B, require employers to have certifications from DOL before filing petitions with USCIS.
Government agencies need this certification as proof that U.S employers need foreign workers in order to fill vacancies for citizens who aren’t able or willing to do these jobs themselves.
Also, this certification verifies that temporary migrant workers don’t take up job opportunities for American citizens, which would negatively impact the US market.
Once the application has been filed, and preconditions are met, applicants must also submit the following documents:
- Visa Photo
- Petition Receipt Number (found on Form I-129)
- Confirmation Page for Completed Online Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
- Application fee receipt (Currently, applications cost $190. However associated fees may apply. Further information can be provided by local US embassies)
- Provide proof that you will return to your home country (for example, relationships, financial records, leases, etc.)
- Bring Form I-129S Nonimmigrant Petition Based on Blanket L Petition to your visa interview if applying for an L-Visa.
After the documents have been gathered, the applicant will begin the visa process. These Visa applications are listed in further detail below:
1. Form DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
First, complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DS-160) and print the confirmation page.
When entering information into the DS-160 form, it must be accurate.
If the applicant submits any incorrect information, the Embassy has cause to deny a visa application.
Also, although the document is available in multiple languages, responses must be in English.
2. Schedule Visa Interview
Once the embassy has received your application, the next stage is to schedule a visa interview.
Because U.S Embassies receive such a high volume of applications each day, schedule your interview as soon as possible.
3. Attend the Visa Interview
In order to get a visa, it’s essential to show up to the interview on time and dress appropriately.
As well, applicants must provide truthful and thorough answers to all questions that the interviewer asks.
Although this is not a criminal investigation, visa interviewers do have training in detecting when someone is providing false information.
Once inaccurate information is provided to an interviewer, it’s grounds to deny a visa application.
4. Fingerprinting and Fees
Once the interview is completed, applicants must be fingerprinted. Depending on the country issuing the visa, an additional fee may also be required.
While Amazon sponsors work visas, there are a few requirements that you must meet to get an Amazon-sponsored work visa.
When applying for a work visa, you must work in a specialized career like IT or be a prominent model, and you must also have a job offer from Amazon.