PetSmart is one of the largest pet-based retail chains in the US, with nearly 2000 stores located across the country!
Its stores also sell everything for cats, dogs, and other small animals. But does PetSmart sell live cats and kittens? Keep reading to find out everything you need to know!
Does PetSmart Sell Cats And Kittens?
PetSmart does not sell live cats and kittens in any PetSmart store location due to concerns over animal welfare and the rise of cats in animal shelters. However, PetSmart runs an adoption scheme for cats and kittens, encouraging customers to seek out rescued or sheltered cats and kittens.
Keep reading to find out how to adopt a cat or kitten through PetSmart today and other alternatives!
Why Doesn’t PetSmart Sell Live Cats And Kittens In Their Stores?
PetSmart made the decision not to sell live cats and kittens or dogs and puppies due to rising concerns about the long-term wellbeing of the animals.
It was agreed amongst PetSmart CEOs that too many family pets, like dogs and cats, were ending up in shelters after being sporadically bought for gifts or events.
Instead of contributing to this, the company decided to free up space in their stores in order to facilitate the adoption of sheltered and neglected animals.
This ensures the continued wellbeing of animals under PetSmart’s adoption centers and helps both adoptive families and their pets to enjoy better and more fulfilled lives together.
How Do I Adopt A Cat Or Kitten From PetSmart Online?
To successfully adopt a cat or kitten from PetSmart, you will first need to register your interest in a specific pet up for adoption. To do this, follow these simple steps:
- Go onto PetSmart’s adoption website.
- Enter your home zip code and select ‘cats.’
- Specify any age, breed, gender or hair length that you would prefer your cat to have using the filter tool near the top of the page.
- Have a browse of all the local cats and kittens near you!
- Press ‘learn more’ under any cats and kittens that spark your interest.
- Read through their ‘My Story’ section to ensure the cat’s temperament and requirements suit you and your lifestyle.
- Then, to register your interest, click on the ‘ask group about this pet’ button.
- Occasionally the adoption group’s email or phone number will also be supplied, and you can always use this instead for more direct and immediate initial contact.
- Following this, the adoption group will let you know if they think you are a good adoption fit for the cat, and will give you more information on how to continue the process!
Can You Adopt A Cat Or Kitten In Person At PetSmart Stores?
Yes, you can! PetSmart has a dedicated space for cat adoption centers in most of its stores.
This means you can find a local PetSmart store with these adoption facilities and speak to a staff member about adopting a cat or kitten.
In order to adopt a cat or kitten from PetSmart in person, you will need to do the following steps:
- Find a PetSmart store with an adoption center.
- Ring the store to ask about adoption availability.
- Visit the store and let a member of staff know you are interested in adopting a cat.
- The adoption center staff will assist you with browsing and selecting possible choices.
- If the cat or kitten is on site, they can set up a meeting or bonding session in their ‘meet and greet playrooms.
- When you and the staff are satisfied, adoption paperwork and insurance details will be gathered.
- PetSmart cat adoptions may then set up a timeline of when you can take your new cat or kitten home with you!
- Alternatively, you can also visit PetSmart during their special adoption events. For example, one of their most popular events is their National Adoption Weekend.
What Is PetSmart’s National Adoption Weekend?
PetSmart’s national adoption weekend is a special event that is run by PetSmart four times a year.
The weekend is dedicated to finding suitable forever homes for animals in shelters, from cats and dogs to bunnies and reptiles.
During one year alone, the event managed to see the successful adoption of over 600,000 pets!
Did PetSmart Use To Sell Live Cats And Kittens In Their Stores?
No, PetSmart has never sold live cats or kittens in any PetSmart store location.
PetSmart did, however, sell live bunnies and rabbits in their stores, though they stopped doing this at the end of 2007.
PetSmart still sells live small animals, which include hamsters, gerbils, rats, and chinchillas.
A full list of the small animals still sold in PetSmart stores can be found on their website.
If you are looking to purchase other pets, you might be wondering if PetSmart sells dogs, if PetSmart sells bunnies, if PetSmart sells axolotls, and if PetSmart sells ferrets.
Additionally, if you just adopted a cat, you can also see our guide on getting your cat microchipped at PetSmart.
PetSmart does not sell live cats and kittens in their stores.
Instead, PetSmart partners with leading adoption centers across the country to help connect sheltered and formerly neglected cats and kittens to their loving forever home. Adoptions can be done either online or in store!