A good dipping sauce or gravy is the best way to enhance your fried chicken.
Therefore, if you love Popeyes’ chicken, you might be interested in finding out whether the restaurant has gravy. Stay on and get enlighted!
Does Popeyes Have Gravy In 2022?
Popeyes restaurants have Cajun gravy on the menu as of 2022. Popeyes’ Cajun gravy is served as a side dish to complement meals such as Popeyes chicken sandwiches. Additionally, the gravy is served as an accompaniment for mashed potatoes at $1.79 for a regular and $3.99 for a large serving.
To discover more about making the Popeyes Cajun gravy, what Popeyes’ gravy is made of, and why Popeyes did away with white gravy, keep reading!
What Is The Gravy Made Of At Popeyes?
Popeyes’ gravy is made of ground beef or ground pork bell peppers, onions, and garlic, seasoned with Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning, Worcester sauce, Crystal hot sauce, and dried herbs.
Using the Cajun style, Popeyes’ gravy is made with pure Acadian love from a rich amber-colored roux made with bacon drippings and butter, thus the name “Cajun Holy Trinity.”
Also, the bacon drippings are used in preparing Popeyes’ gravy to enhance the rich flavor.
Why Did Popeyes Get Rid Of White Gravy?
Following a public uproar on contamination of the white gravy, Popeyes recalled the white gravy dish on its menu.
That said, withdrawal from the company menu was to help curb further complaints before seeking solutions.
Does Popeyes Have Mashed Potatoes And Gravy?
Yes, Popeyes serves mashed potatoes with the sweet Cajun gravy sauce, and the two foods are served together and not separately.
Further, a regular serving of mashed potatoes with Cajun gravy goes for $1.79, while a large serve goes for $3.99.
How Do You Make Popeyes’ Spicy Gravy?
To make Popeyes’ Spicy Cajun Gravy, you will need the following equipment:
- Skillet: This is used for sautéing the veggies
- Ladle: Use the spoon to stir in the spices and mix them
- Knife: Used for chopping veggies in the bowl
- Bowls: Put the chopped veggies in the bowl
After gathering all the proper tools, continue by measuring the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Two chicken gizzards
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup ground beef
- 1/4 cup ground pork, plus two tablespoons:
- Two cups of water
- 14 ounces of beef broth
- Two tablespoons cornstarch
- One tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Two teaspoons milk
- Two teaspoons of distilled white vinegar
- One teaspoon of granulated sugar
- One teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Dash dried parsley flakes
Lastly, follow these steps to create a gravy just like Popeyes’ Spicy Cajun Gravy:
- Add diced onions, celery, and red bell peppers to a skillet. Season it with salt and sauté them for two to three minutes.
- Remove the sautéed veggies from the skillet.
- In the same pan, add butter, flour, and bacon grease.
- Let it melt and cook until you see a peanutted brown texture.
- Put the sautéed veggies on once you see the brown glaze texture. Give them a nice stir and cook for two to three minutes.
- Incorporate the Cajun spices into the pan. A teaspoon of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, white pepper, and powdered thyme will enhance the flavors.
- Bring it to a boil until the gravy is thickened.
- Add ground beef, veal stock, a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, and tabasco sauce.
- Serve hot with your favorite dishes.
Is Popeyes’ Cajun Gravy Vegetarian?
Unfortunately, Popeyes’ Cajun gravy is non-vegetarian because it contains meat products like ground pork.
However, if you’re looking for Popeyes vegan items, here are other alternative options:
- Corn on the cob
Does Popeyes Have White Gravy?
As highlighted earlier, Popeyes ditched the white gravy from its menu due to customer complaints. In fact, the concerns were based on contamination of the white sauce.
Popeyes chicken lovers who were using white gravy sauce as a side dish can now use Popeyes’ Cajun gravy instead and still enjoy their meal.
Is There Pork In Popeyes’ Cajun Gravy?
Yes, Popeyes’ Cajun gravy contains pork products. For example, ground pork is one ingredient used in preparing Popeyes’ Cajun gravy.
Further, other ingredients include celery, onions, bell peppers, bacon grease, butter, Cajun spice mix, veal stock, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce.
These spices and seasonings enhance the homemade Popeyes Cajun gravy recipe with its rich flavor.
What Are The Nutritional Values For Popeyes’ Mashed Potatoes And Gravy?
Nutritional values for a regular and large serving of Popeyes’ mashed potatoes and gravy are as follows:
- Calories: 110
- Fat: 4 grams
- Saturated Fat: 2 grams
- Trans Fat: 0 grams
- Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
- Sodium: 197.5 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 18 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Protein: 3 grams
- Calories: 115.6
- Fat: 3.9 grams
- Saturated Fat: 1 gram
- Trans Fat: 0.2 grams
- Cholesterol: 0.9 milligrams
- Sodium: 615.2 milligrams
- Carbohydrates: 17.7 grams
- Fiber: 1.3 grams
- Sugar: 1.3 grams
- Protein: 2.4 grams
Also, it is important to note the nutritional information of the gravy has not been provided individually since the mashed potatoes and gravy are not served separately.
Fortunately, Popeyes has gravy as one of the sides at the restaurant. With that, Popeyes’ Cajun gravy is mainly used to complement the famous Popeyes Fried Chicken Sandwich.
Also, the gravy is made with meat products. Consequently, vegans at Popeyes may not use Cajun gravy as their side dish but instead use a different signature side to balance their meals.