Many states in the US permit the sale of wine, beer, spirits, and other alcohol in grocery stores. As long as customers have valid IDs, they can do their grocery shopping and purchase alcoholic drinks at the same time.
If you’re a Safeway shopper, perhaps you’re wondering if you can purchase alcohol at your local Safeway. If you’d like to find out, continue reading through this article to see what I learned!
Does Safeway Sell Alcohol?
Safeway sells a large range of alcohol at some store locations, including beer, wine, and spirits. The states with a Safeway store that allow the sale of alcohol include Arizona, California, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, South Dakota, Washington, and Wyoming. Safeway sells alcohol between the hours of 9 am – 9 pm.
If you’d like to learn more about what type of alcohol Safeway sells, which store locations sell it, what time you can purchase alcohol, and more, keep reading!
Can You Buy Alcohol from Safeway Online?
Safeway makes its entire selection of wine, beer, and spirits available to order online. Customers can place an order for pick-up or delivery.
Customers should have their ID on hand to confirm that they’re old enough to consume the alcohol they’ve purchased.
What Time Does Safeway Sell Alcohol?
Safeway sells its liquor selection all week, including Sundays, and makes alcohol available for purchase from 9 am to 9 pm.
However, this time may vary according to the allotted selling hours that are within local municipality laws of different store locations.
What Safeway Locations Sell Alcohol?
While Safeway stores can sell liquor, not every state currently allows the sale of liquor in grocery stores.
Safeway locations in 8 of the 17 states allow alcohol sales in grocery stores.
The below-listed states allow Safeway to sell alcohol:
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
What Types of Alcohol Does Safeway Sell?
Safeway carries a large variety of alcoholic beverages. On the Safeway website, their alcohol selection is separated into three main categories: beer, wine, and spirits & mixers.
Within these categories are sub-categories for the type of brew, fermentation, and brand.
Listed below are some of the brands and sub-categories for the alcohol currently available at Safeway:
- Imported Beer: Corona, Heineken, Guinness, Modelo, Corona Premier, Pacifico Claira etc.
- Spiked Seltzers: White Claw, Truly Spiked & Sparkling, Truly Hard Seltzer, MICHELOB ULTRA, Mike’s, Bud, 21st Amendment Brewery, Basic, Maha etc.
- Domestic Beer: Michelob, Coors, Budweiser, Miller, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Keystone Light, White Claw, Kona Brewing Co., Mickey’s, Saint Archer Gold, Steel Reserve etc.
- Craft Beer: Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Firestone Walker, Elysian, Deschutes Brewery, Samuel Adams, Shock Top, Founders, Drakes, Bear Republic, Anchor Brewing etc.
- Cider: Angry Orchard, 2 Towns Ciderhouse, Golden State Cider, ACE, Stella Artois etc.
- Non-alcoholic Beer: Odouls, Heineken, Lagunitas, Marke Clausthaler, Old Milwaukee etc.
- Flavoured Malt Beverages: Bartles and Jaymes, Kyla, Seagrams, Steel Reserve, Gowans etc.
- Chardonnay: O Organics, Barefoot Cellars, Kendall-Jackson, La Crema, Robert Mondavi, Cupcake Vineyards etc.
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Signature Reserve, Bota Box, Los Hermanos, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Josh etc.
- Sauvignon and Fume Blanc: Kim Crawford, Bonterra, Joel Gott, Black Box, Bogle Vineyards etc.
- Pinot Grigio & Gris: Barefoot Cellars, Dark Horse, Bandit, Beringer, Black Box, Bota Box etc.
- Sparkling Wine: La Marca, Korbel, Andre, Cook’s California Champagne etc.
- Wine Blends & Other: Franzia, Bota Box, Il Conte D’Alba, Apothic, Ménage à Trois, 19 Crimes etc.
- Pinot Noir: Box Wise, Clos du Bois, Creative Juice, Cupcake, Duck Pond, Ecco Domani, J Vineyards etc.
- Merlot: Duckhorn, Robert Mondavi, Bogle Vineyards, Firefly Ridge, Kenwood etc.
- Zinfandel: Cline, Federalist, Joel Gott, Ravenswood, 1000 Stories, 7 Deadly etc.
- Rose: Beringer, Bota Box, Francis Ford Coppola, Sutter Home, 14 Hands, Band of Roses etc.
- Sweet & Flavoured Wine: House, Korbel, Loco Lopez, Main & Vine, Stella Rosa etc.
- Port & Sherry: Grahams, Sandeman, Taylor Fladgate, Cockburn’s, Fonseca, Harveys, Sheffield Cellars etc.
- Dessert Wine: Barefoot Cellars, Sutter Home, Castello Del Poggio, Gambarelli & Davitto, Lillet, Oliver etc.
- Sake & Rice Wine: Sho Chiku Bai, Gekkeikan, Kinsen Plum, Momokawa, Sayuri and Ty Ku.
- Moscato and Muscat: B&G, Barefoot Cellars, Il Conte D’Alba, Ménage à Trois and Risata.
- Malbec: Alamos, Antigal, Bodega, Bodega Belgrano, Catena and Layer Cake.
- Riesling: Barefoot, Chateau Ste. Michelle, Fetzer and Underwood.
- Syrah & Shiraz: Mollydooker, Qupe and Zaca Mesa
Spirits & Mixers:
- Vodka: Signature Reserve, Titos, Absolut, Vitali, Grey Goose, SKYY etc.
- Tequila & Mezcal: Jose Cuervo, Gran Patron, Sauza, Casimigos, TEQUILA CAZADORES, 1800 etc.
- Cognac & Brandy: Hennessy, E&J, Christian Brothers, Remy Martin, Courvoisier, Korbel etc.
- Whisky & Bourbon: Signature Reserve, Crown Royal, Jack Daniel’s, Jim Beam, Jameson, Maker’s Mark etc
- Rum: Parrot Bay, Bacardi, Kings Bay, Malibu, Kraken, Sailor Jerry etc.
- Scotch: Dewars, The Glenlivet, The Macallan, Glen Fiddich, Ardbeg, Buchanans etc.
- Ready-Made Cocktails: Cutwater Spirits, Jose Cuervo, Bacardi, Crown Royal, 10 Barrel Brewing Co, 1800 etc.
- Cordials & Liqueur: Baileys, J Brandt, Cointreau, Grand Mariner, Jagermeister, Kahlua etc.
- Cocktail Mixes: Master of Mixes, Zing Zang, Roses, Angostura, Lefty O’Doul’s etc.
- Gin: Tanqueray, Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire, Essex Place, Aviation, Gordons etc.
- Vermouth: Gallo Salame, Martini & Rossi and Carpano Antica Formula.
Does Safeway Canada Sell Alcohol?
Canada currently doesn’t allow the sale of alcohol in grocery stores, meaning Safeway stores don’t carry any alcohol.
However, Safeway has its own brand of liquor stores attached to many Canadian locations called Safeway Liquor.
There are currently 10 Safeway Liquor stores located throughout Canada.
If you want to learn more about shopping at Safeway, you can also read our related posts on whether or not you can use a Safeway gift card for gas, if Safeway makes custom cakes, and if Safeway fills helium balloons.
Safeway sells alcohol in all stores located in states that permit the sale of alcohol in grocery stores.
Safeway customers can purchase liquor from Safeway in 8 of the 17 states allowing alcohol in grocery stores.
Safeway carries a wide selection of wine, beer and spirits, including their own Signature brand.
They sell alcohol from 9 am to 9 pm or within the times local municipalities allow. Safeway Canada also has Safeway Liquor stores in a number of different store locations.