Walmart is one of the biggest employers in America, offering prospective employees an opportunity to work in the company’s retail, distribution, or food sectors.
If you’ve just turned 16 and are looking forward to getting a job with this multinational retail corporation, here’s what you need to know about Walmart’s minimum age requirement.
Does Walmart Hire At 16 In 2023?
Typically, Walmart does hire 16-year-olds for positions such as cashier, stocker, and cart attendant as of 2023. Currently, Walmart hires thousands of 16-year-olds earning between $11 and $14. However, it’s best to keep in mind that although you can join Walmart’s workforce at 16, you don’t qualify for all positions.
If you’re among the many teenagers trying to find their dream job at Walmart, read on to learn more about the company’s hiring requirements.
How Much Does A 16-Year-Old Make At Walmart?
16-year-olds at Walmart are paid according to the job position, schedule, state, and federal laws.
Typically though, 16-year olds working at Walmart can expect to earn between $11 and $14 per hour.
While there have been controversies about Walmart’s wages, the company pays teenagers well compared to other retail stores.
Additionally, Walmart also offers training opportunities to help employees move up within the company.
Available Entry-Level Positions For 16-Year-Olds
As the world’s largest private employer, Walmart offers a wide range of jobs.
At most store locations, there are many different types of entry-level jobs for teens from packing boxes to working as a cashier or doing window displays.
Here are Walmart entry-level jobs for 16-year-olds.:
- Stocker: The stocker is an entry-level job title that involves organizing backroom spaces, stocking shelves, unloading and loading shipments, and constructing displays. It’s the stocker’s responsibility to help customers locate products or answer any of their questions. They also ensure the aisles and areas surrounding them are always clean.
- Cashier: Although the main job of cashiers at Walmart is ringing up sales and bagging for items for customers, they have other responsibilities. These include answering customer questions about their merchandise, handling product returns, and informing customers about ongoing promotions and store policies.
- Fresh Food Associate: Fresh food associates are responsible for ensuring customers get fresh and quality food always. They’re responsible for stocking shelves with fresh foods and replacing low-quality food with fresh ones. Additionally, fresh food associates maintain cleanliness in the food sections of the store.
- Cart Attendant: As a cart attendant, your work is to help customers get whatever they need within the shortest time by gathering carts at the parking lot. You should also help customers make purchases and ensure floors and restrooms are clean.
To apply for jobs at Walmart, potential employees can go to Walmart’s career page, create an account, and select a store near them..
Whether you want to work in the produce department, stock shelves in the toy aisle, or cheerfully hand out samples of ice cream, there’s a good number of entry-level jobs for teens at Walmart!
How Fast Does Walmart Hire 16-Year-Olds?
The time frame for hiring at Walmart varies depending on the position you are applying for.
However, the company always moves quickly to fill vacant positions and aims to reduce its hiring process to 24 hours.
After submitting your application, you should wait for about 5 to 10 days before getting a call from them.
Additionally, for recently opened stores, the hiring process can take up to 4 months after the grand opening.
Does Walmart Have Part-Time Positions For 16-Year-Olds?
If you wonder if you can work at Walmart while studying, worry no more because it’s possible to work at Walmart while in school or do another part-time job.
Walmart generally recruits new employees based on availability rather than skill set.
As a result, the company constantly looks for people with no experience but willing to undergo training.
Once trained, part-time employees can expect to earn between $13 and $16 per hour.
In addition, as a part-time worker, you can pick up unfilled shifts and even swap shifts with other employees.
Walmart Interview Questions For Teens
Interview questions at Walmart may vary depending on the job position. Nonetheless, here are the commonly asked questions for 16-year-olds:
- Why should we hire you at 16?
- How do you handle upset customers?
- Have you ever had a job before? If so, what was the reason for leaving your last job?
- How do you deal with low morale?
Walmart hires people as young as 16 years, and the company is always looking for temporary, part-time, full-time, and permanent employees.
To land a job at this giant retail company, fill out their online application or attend a job fair where the company is hiring on the spot.