After getting your dog, you might realize that it needs a fair bit of training for it to better take up the role of a pet.
Aside from a range of live pets as well as accompanying products and supplies, Petco also offers a large variety of pet services and we did some digging to find out whether dog training is one of them!
Does Petco Train Dogs In 2023?
Petco trains dogs as young as 2 months old, both at stores and online in 2023. When getting the services, you can opt to either take them as part of a group or in private. Petco’s dog training classes focus on aspects such as socialization and obedience training. You can also pick up dog training supplies and do it yourself.
Continue reading this article to learn everything you need to know about the dog training program at Petco, including a deeper dive into the classes, the costs, and more!
Petco Dog Training Classes
Petco’s dog training classes are broken into online and in-store options, both of which have a group and private sessions, making a total of four different class types.
In-store group lessons give you access to the following classes:
- Puppy level 1 – a 6 week course that is focused on socialization and making your dog able to recognize common cues and behaviors
- Puppy level 2 – a 6 week course that goes deeper into basic puppy behavior, and seeks to make sure the puppy commits to them regularly
- Puppy essentials package – an 18 week comprehensive package that includes the two previously mentioned classes and any other adult course that you want, a 45 minute private class, and the AKC STAR puppy test
- Adult level 1 – a 6 week class where you can train and learn to communicate more effectively with a mature dog or older puppy
- Adult level 2 – a 6 week class that prepares your dog to be fully trained by building on things learned in the previous level, while bringing in more advanced surroundings for them to train in
- Separation anxiety course – a 4 week course developed by professionals to help you pinpoint what makes your dog anxious, and form new habits that make them better at being on their own
- Adult dog essentials package – a 12 week full training package that includes adult lesson 1, and anyone from adult lesson 2, or the AKC Canine Good Citizen class, along with the AKC Canine Good Citizen test
- Dog complete package – an 18 week comprehensive training set that includes adult levels 1 and 2, the AKC Canine Good Citizen class along with the AKC Good Citizen test, and a 45 minute private lesson
In-store private lessons grant you access to the following classes:
- Private lesson 101 – a 45 minute private class that is focused on understanding the training requirements for your dog so you can create a custom learning plan
- Single private lesson – one class where you get service that is tailored to your dog’s specific needs
- 4 private lessons – 4 classes that change the more your dog learns
- 6 private lessons
Online group lessons give you access to the following classes:
- Puppy basics – a 4 week intro course that looks at basic manners and challenges that face most puppies, including potty training, barking, chewing, and nipping
- Adult basics – a 4 week intro course that looks at basic manners and different issues such as jumping, pulling on the leash, not coming when you call them, and more
- Separation anxiety course – a 4 week course developed by professionals to determine what makes your dog anxious so you can form newer healthier habits, and make sure they can stay on their own
Online private lessons grant you access to the following classes:
- Single private lesson – a 45 minute one on one class that is focused on understanding what your dog needs for training, and helping you through one or two challenges that the dog has so you can develop a custom learning strategy
- 4 private lessons – a 4 week one on one training package that you can tailor to your needs and those of your dog
How Much Does Petco Charge for Dog Training?
Petco’s dog training classes charge different rates, depending on the one you’re attending. In-store group lessons are charged as follows:
- Puppy Level 1 – $149
- Puppy Level 2 – $149
- Puppy essentials package – $249
- Puppy complete package – $379
- Adult level 1 – $149
- Adult level 2 – $149
- Separation anxiety course – $99
- Adult dog essentials package – $249
- Dog complete package – $379
In-store private lessons cost the following:
- Single private lesson – $89
- 4 private lessons – $219
- 6 private lessons – $299
- Private lesson – $139
Online group lessons charge as follows:
- Puppy basics – $99
- Adult basics – $99
- Separation anxiety course – $99
For online private lessons, the charges are:
- Single private lesson – $59
- 4 private lessons – $299
Petco Dog Training Review
We found some reviews of Petco’s dog training service on Reddit and Quora that say it’s good if you get a trainer that follows the curriculum and your dog is responsive.
These reviews were left on the forums by dog trainers and their customers, and they are consistent across most sources.
How Old Should My Dog Be to Start Training at Petco?
Your dog can be as young as 2 months old to start training at Petco, which is the minimum age where the puppy training classes begin.
Petco offers dog training courses both in-person and online, for group and one on one classes. You can take a dog that’s as young as 2 months in for the classes.
Petco’s dog training classes cost different amounts depending on the age of the dog, whether it’s in person or online, and whether it’s a private or group class.
Online and group classes are the cheapest while in-person private classes cost more because you get to customize the learning plan. Reviews from both trainers and customers say that the training is effective with a good trainer and a responsive dog.