Perhaps the most annoying thing about ordering something online is having to wait for it to arrive. But it’s even worse when you realize your package is going to be late. That leads to the question “Is there anything you can do if FedEx delivers late?”
Well, FedEx allows customers to file a claim and request a refund if their shipment arrives late. When you reach the end of this article, you’ll know which services are eligible for a refund, how to file a claim, and when you can expect the refund to hit your bank account, so keep reading!
What Does “FedEx Claim for Late Delivery” Mean in 2023?
Many FedEx services come with a money-back guarantee that allows customers to file a claim for late delivery and receive a refund for the cost of shipping in 2023. Claims can be filed online, over the phone, or by mail and must be submitted within 60 calendar days of the shipment date. Claims decisions take about 1 week.
To know the exact details about how to file a FedEx claim for late delivery, be sure to read the rest of this article for more facts!
Does FedEx Offer a Refund for Late Delivery?
Before getting into the details about FedEx’s claims process, it’s helpful to know if the company offers refunds in the first place.
FedEx offers a money-back guarantee on U.S. shipments if the company misses the published (or quoted) delivery time by even a minute.
If a delivery arrives late, customers are entitled to a refund or credit of the shipping charges. This guarantee applies to both commercial and residential shipments to and from all 50 states.
Which FedEx Services Are Eligible for a Late Delivery Claim?
Below is a list of services that come with FedEx’s money-back guarantee and that allow customers to file a late delivery claim:
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx First Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Priority Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Standard Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx International First
- FedEx International Priority
- FedEx International Priority Express
- FedEx International Priority Freight
Services not included on this list, such as FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, and other FedEx Express shipments do not come with the money-back guarantee.
As a result, customers cannot file a late delivery claim for these services.
How Do I File a FedEx Claim for Late Delivery?
Even before your package is delivered, you’ll want to keep an eye on your tracking information. This will tell you when the package is supposed to arrive.
If your package arrives after this date, you need to be able to show FedEx proof of the late delivery.
To put it another way, FedEx will not notify you of late delivery and will not voluntarily give you your money back. It’s up to you to manage delivery dates and inform FedEx if they’re late.
If your item ends up arriving late and you need to file a claim for late delivery, there are three ways to do so: online, over the phone, and by letter.
Let’s look at the steps involved with each method.
- Head to the FedEx claims webpage
- Click the orange ‘Start a Claim’ button
- Enter your tracking number and claim type (select shipment not received)
- Click the purple ‘Continue’ button
- Fill in as much information about the problem as possible
- Submit your claim and note the case number
Once you file your claim, you can check the status by logging into your FedEx account and entering your case number.
- Call FedEx’s telephone invoice adjustment system at 1.800.463.3339
- When prompted, say “billing.”
- State the reason for your claim and provide your FedEx account number (if applicable), your tracking number, and the date of shipment.
- Write a letter detailing the problem. Be sure to include the account number, tracking number, date of shipment, and any other relevant information.
- Mail the letter to:
3965 Airways Boulevard
Memphis, TN 38116
Are There Any Exceptions to the FedEx Late Claims Refund?
Although FedEx is pretty generous when it comes to providing refunds for late claims, there are plenty of circumstances where you’re not eligible for a refund if your package arrives late.
Let’s take a closer look at these exceptions:
FedEx Express Exceptions
- Packages that are rerouted from the delivery address to a “Hold at Location” address
- Undeliverable or returned packages
- Dangerous goods or dry ice shipments
- Packages with an incorrect address or ZIP code
- An unavailable recipient or a recipient who refuses to accept delivery or sign for the package
- Packages delivered within 90 minutes of the delivery commitment time on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving
- Shipments delivered during the 7 calendar days before Christmas Day. In these cases, delivery is extended to the end of the day on the published delivery date.
FedEx Ground Exceptions
- Shipments out for delivery on the Monday after Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve
- Packages with any type of FedEx Delivery Signature Option
- Any shipment with an unexpected large release of packages from your shipping location
- Packages with additional handling
- Packages with an address correction
- Oversize or unauthorized packages
- Parcels with a redirect request from a delivery address to a “Hold at Location” address
- Undeliverable or returned shipments
How Long Do You Have to File a FedEx Late Delivery Claim?
You must file a late delivery claim no later than 60 calendar days from the shipment date for domestic packages and 21 calendar days from the shipment date for international packages.
How Long Does a FedEx Late Delivery Claim Take?
After FedEx receives your claim, it should take 7 to 10 business days to receive your refund.
In some cases, it may take longer if additional documents or research is required.
To learn more, you can also read our posts on whether or not FedEx delivers at night, FedEx informed delivery, and delivery exception meaning FedEx.
If your FedEx package comes with a money-back guarantee, then you should definitely take advantage of it should your package ever arrive late. Filing a claim is fairly easy and you should get an answer about your case within a week.