Part of what makes FedEx competitive is its on-time delivery rate. In fact, over 90% of FedEx packages are delivered on time. As if that weren’t proof enough of the company’s level of service, FedEx also offers refunds for late deliveries.
In this article, you’ll learn which services offer refunds for late deliveries, how to file a refund claim, and the exceptions to this policy. So, if you’re curious to know more, you’d better keep reading!
FedEx Refund For Late Delivery In 2023
FedEx offers refunds for late deliveries with services like First Overnight, Priority Overnight, and International First in 2023. If a package arrives one minute late, customers may request a refund of shipping charges. Refunds can be requested online through the FedEx claims website, over the phone, or in writing. Some exceptions apply, especially during the holiday season.
There’s still plenty more to learn about how FedEx’s late delivery refund program works, so if you’re looking to get your money back, then this is the article for you!
What Happens If Your Package Is Delayed From FedEx?
FedEx refunds customers the cost of shipping if their package arrives after the published or quoted delivery time by even a minute.
However, to be eligible for a refund, the item has to have been shipped with a service that comes with a money-back guarantee.
That said, this guarantee applies to both commercial and residential shipments to and from all 50 states.
Which FedEx Services Offer A Refund For Late Delivery?
As mentioned in the last section, only services that come with a money-back guarantee offer the possibility of a refund.
For example, services that allow customers to file for a refund include:
- FedEx First Overnight
- FedEx Priority Overnight
- FedEx Standard Overnight
- FedEx First Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Priority Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx Standard Overnight Extra Hours
- FedEx International First
- FedEx International Priority
- FedEx International Priority Express
- FedEx International Priority Freight
Unfortunately, packages sent through other FedEx Express services, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Freight do not offer refunds for late delivery.
How Do I File For A Late Delivery Refund With FedEx?
In order to file a refund for late delivery with FedEx, you’ll need to keep an eye on your tracking information, which will tell you when the package is supposed to arrive.
With that, if your package arrives later than this date and time, you can go about filing your refund claim.
You need to manage your delivery dates because FedEx won’t tell you when your package arrives late. In other words, it’s up to you to inform FedEx when they’re late.
Also, if you need to file a refund for a late FedEx delivery, you can do so online, over the phone, or in writing.
Let’s see how to file for a refund with each method.
To file a FedEx refund online, follow these steps:
- Go to the FedEx Claims webpage
- Click the “Start a Claim” button
- Enter your tracking number and claim type
- Select “Shipment Not Received”
- Click the “Continue” button
- Provide details about the problem
- Submit your claim and write down the case number for reference
Additionally, you can check the status of your claim by logging into your FedEx account and entering the case number.
If you would rather file a refund claim over the phone, follow these steps:
- Call FedEx’s telephone invoice adjustment system at 1(800) 463-3339
- Say “Billing” when prompted
- Give the reason for your claim and provide your tracking number, the date of shipment, and your FedEx account number (if you have one)
Although it’s not as popular, you can file a refund claim by mail. That said, follow these steps to file a refund claim with FedEx:
- Write a brief letter describing the problem
- Include the account number, tracking number, date of shipment, and any other relevant information
- Mail the letter to:
3965 Airways Boulevard
Memphis, TN 38116
Are There Any Exceptions To The FedEx Late Delivery Refund?
While FedEx allows customers plenty of opportunities to file for a refund when a delivery is late, there are exceptions to the policy.
For example, customers may not claim a refund for a late FedEx Express delivery under the following circumstances:
- Undeliverable or returned packages
- Shipments that contain dangerous goods or dry ice
- Packages that are rerouted from the delivery address to a “Hold at Location” address
- Packages with an incorrect address or zip code
- Deliveries to an unavailable recipient or a recipient who refuses to accept delivery
- Packages delivered within 90 minutes of the promised delivery time on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving
- Shipments delivered during the seven calendar days before Christmas Day. On these days, delivery is extended to the end of the day on the published delivery date.
Currently, FedEx has suspended its delivery guarantee for Ground services. However, if this guarantee is reinstated, these are the exceptions:
- Packages with any type of FedEx Delivery Signature Option
- Packages with additional handling
- Packages with an address correction
- Oversize or unauthorized packages
- Parcels with a redirect request from a delivery address to a “Hold at Location” address
- Undeliverable or returned shipments
- Shipments that go out for delivery on the Monday after Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve
How Long Does It Take For FedEx To Refund Money?
In most cases, it takes FedEx seven to ten business days to issue refunds after a claim is approved.
With that, refunds will either appear as adjustments on your FedEx invoice or will be credited to your original form of payment (credit or debit card).
Of course, more complex cases, or those requiring additional documentation, might take longer to process.
To know more, you can also read our posts on FedEx claim form, FedEx money-back guarantee, and what are FedEx shipping zones.
FedEx’s refund provides excellent protection in the event of late delivery. To take advantage of this program, you need to choose a service that comes with a money-back guarantee.
Also, it’s necessary to monitor your tracking information so you know when your package was supposed to arrive.
Additionally, you should collect as much evidence as possible to support your claim and improve your chances of getting a refund.