Do you like working around people, have some knowledge about home improvement, and enjoy solving the problems that people have? If so, you may have thought about a job at Home Depot.
What is a Home Depot Customer Service Associate In 2023?
A Home Depot customer service associate assists customers while they’re in the store and will offer product recommendations, answer customer questions, and locate and retrieve products for customers. Answering emails and phone lines are essential job duties as well as resolving customer complaints. Associates will also track inventory and offer alternatives when items are out of stock in 2023.
Keep reading below to learn all about the customer service associate job at Home Depot, including hourly pay and other useful facts!
What Does a Home Depot Customer Service Associate Do?
Customer service associates at Home Depot are tasked with providing quality customer service to all customers that enter the store.
As well, they’ll greet them and thank them as they enter and leave the store. Additional customer service associate tasks include the following:
- Locate products for customers
- Retrieve product information using scanners
- Answer customer questions related to promotions, products, and departments
- Upsell customers on other services and products
- Suggest other items that would go with their projects
- Demonstrate to customers how to use items
- Monitor merchandise stock and offer alternatives when items are out of stock
- Track services and sales sold using the computer
- Check that all inventory in the computer has been entered properly
- Ask customers for contact information if products are out of stock
- Follow up with customers as needed through email and telephone
- Assist with purchases that are heavy and help load them into vehicles
- Answer the phones, resolve customer issues, and respond to emails
- Assist customers with product purchases in-store
- Process returns and exchanges
- Run registers as needed
- Assist with promotions and events in the store
- Process same-day delivery items
- Interrupt the flow of store traffic to give information and details as needed
- Organizing departments as needed
- Help unload or load trucks as needed
- Other tasks as assigned by the manager
How Much Do Customer Service Associates Make at Home Depot?
You can expect to make $12.47 an hour as a customer service associate at Home Depot.
However, the pay could range from $11 to $16 an hour depending on your location, previous work experience, and other factors.
What Skills Do You Need to be a Home Depot Customer Service Associate?
To be a successful Home Depot customer service associate, you’ll need to have excellent customer service skills and have great written and verbal communication.
In addition, an understanding of home improvement is preferred, such as how to install products, what merchandise goes with which project, and other skills, including the following:
- General tool knowledge and the ability to operate power tools
- High school diploma
- Ability to lift upwards of 30 pounds
- Being able to stand for long periods
- Know how to work a computer and programs such as Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to push and pull carts that may have 80 pounds of product on them
- Flexibility to work holidays, nights, and weekends as needed
- Previous experience in customer service, retail, home improvement, and cashier duties are preferred
- Know how to safely use a ladder
- Ability to keep calm under pressure
- Problem-solving skills
- Great listening skills
Is Home Depot Customer Service Associate a Good Job?
Employees have said online that if you enjoy interacting with other people and providing customer service to those in your community, then this is a good job.
The position is very fast paced, and you have to stand for long periods of time, so it can be difficult if you’re not used to that type of environment, but it’s also rewarding and can be fun.
However, since this job is focused on the customer, some employees have complained about dealing with rude and mean customers often.
If you lose your temper easily or have trouble staying friendly when you’re dealing with problematic customers you’re not going to enjoy this job.
Management can also be an issue at Home Depot, as they may not always back you up when it comes to an issue that a customer is having.
Overall, while this job can be stressful, employees have said it’s a great job and you’re working with a great company, so it’s worth applying for if you enjoy a lot of customer interaction.
How Do You Apply for the Home Depot Customer Service Associate Job?
You can go to the Home Depot Careers online portal and search for a store near you by entering your location.
Additionally, you can select a radius to search or choose to search by the job title of customer service associate.
However, note that you’ll need to create an online profile to begin filling out the application, which could take 30 minutes to 60 minutes to complete if it’s your first time on the career portal.
A customer service associate at Home Depot is responsible for ensuring the customer is satisfied when they are in the store and accomplishing what they set out to do while in the store.
Further, associates will be helping customers locate products, show customers how to use products and tools, and will answer customer questions related to the store and merchandise.