Verizon is a trusted cell phone provider for millions of people because the company offers excellent coverage and a wide array of phones to choose from, whether that be iOS or Android devices.
But if you’re thinking about switching to Verizon, you probably have some questions. For example, how do Verizon hotspots work when you’re out and about? I’ve researched the matter, and here’s what I found out!
How Do Verizon Hotspots Work In 2023?
Verizon hotspots work by allowing you to connect electronic devices, such as a laptop, to your smartphone, so you don’t have to run off public Wi-Fi as of 2023. Both iOS and Android Verizon devices can become a mobile hotspot, but only if the function is on and you’ve completed the setup steps to connect the devices first.
Do you have even more questions about Verizon hotspots, such as if it’s free and how many devices you can connect the hotspot to? Continue reading to learn what I’ve found out!
Is Hotspot Free With Verizon’s Unlimited Data Plan?
If you have an Unlimited Plan with Verizon, you won’t be charged extra fees for using the mobile hotspot feature.
However, once you’ve used 15 GB in a month per line, your mobile hotspot will be reduced up to 600Kbps!
Unfortunately, Verizon has discontinued the Unlimited Plan, so if you’re a new customer, you cannot get this plan. But, existing customers are still able to keep the plan if they already have it.
Now, Verizon offers a way to mix-and-match the services you want, which has replaced the Unlimited Plan it previously provided.
How Do I Use My Verizon Hotspot?
It’s simple to begin using your Verizon hotspot. But, it’s important to note that using the hotspot will take away data, so if you’re on a data plan, you need to watch your usage.
To begin, you want to ensure your phone is turned on and then on an iPhone, just follow the steps below:
- Go into the Settings
- Click on “Cellular” so that the toggle appears green
- Tap the “Personal Hotspot” button
- Ensure the toggle is lit up green to allow others to join
- Create a password, and then the setup is complete!
In comparison, on an Android device, the steps are easy to follow and include:
- Open the Settings
- Click on “Network & Internet”
- Find “Hotspot & Tethering”
- Click on the Wi-Fi hotspot
- Put the slider to the blue side so that Bluetooth tethering is enabled
- You can customize the hotspot with a password and name, and that’s it!
If you run into problems during setup, it could be because you’re on an older phone, have a limited phone plan, or have coverage issues.
How Much Does A Verizon Hotspot Cost Per Month?
Verizon has four different mobile hotspot plans that you can purchase, which range in both cost and data and include:
- Essential hotspot plan: costs $20 a month and is for 15GB of data
- Pro hotspot plan: costs $40 per month and is for 50GB of data
- Plus hotspot plan: costs $60 per month and is for 100GB of data
- Premium hotspot plan: costs $80 per month and is for 150GB of data
However, once you’ve reached your cap on your hotspot plan, you can continue to use it with unlimited data, but it will be a much lower speed.
How Many Mobile Devices Can Connect To Verizon Hotspot?
With the Verizon mobile hotspot, you’re able to connect up to ten different devices if you’re using a 4G LTE smartphone.
However, you need to remember that any data each of the ten devices use will be subtracted from your regular mobile data plan.
Therefore, to ensure that you’re not using too much data, it’s best to keep the number of devices connected to the hotspot to just a couple.
Why Isn’t My Verizon Hotspot Working?
There are multiple reasons why your Verizon hotspot isn’t working, including:
- Bad mobile data connection
- Turned off because of inactivity
- Issues with Wi-Fi
- Mobile carrier issues
How Do I Fix Verizon Hotspot Issues?
The first step to fixing Verizon hotspot issues is to ensure that mobile hotspot functionality is turned on.
Additionally, you can follow these steps to see if it fixes the issue:
- See if the hotspot feature went into inactive mode after a prolonged time away
- If the function is turned on and it’s still not working, you should try rebooting your iOS or Android device.
- Check the hotspot and tethering ability on your mobile device
- Recheck that mobile data has been enabled, and it’s being used
- Ensure your password is correct
- Ensure that battery saver mode or lower power mode is turned off
- Turn off the Wi-Fi and turn it back on
Suppose you cannot fix the problem yourself after the above steps.
In that case, you can call the Verizon customer service line by dialing *611 to be connected for assistance in troubleshooting the problem.
Verizon hotspots work by allowing you to use your smartphone data plan to connect other electronics to a wireless signal.
However, because the Wi-Fi is running through your phone, you need to be careful as it will consume the amount of data that your plan allows.
Further, you can connect up to ten devices on Verizon 4G LTE smartphones, and it works with both iOS and Android devices.