PetSmart stores have been a favorite stop for several pet parents in America, due to the variety of products and services offered at the store and its affordability.
With an extensive range of small animals available for sale, one might ask- how much do hamsters cost at PetSmart? Here’s all you need to know!
How Much Do Hamsters Cost at PetSmart In 2024?
The cost of hamsters at PetSmart generally ranges from $16 to $25 in 2024. The retailer offers a wide variety of hamsters, and therefore, the actual price is primarily influenced by the type of hamster purchased. Furthermore, there are additional costs pertaining to taking care of a hamster once the pet owner buys it.
If you want to find more information on the costs of hamsters at PetSmart, the extra costs for buying a hamster at PetSmart, and other essential tips, keep reading!
What Is the Cost of a Hamster at PetSmart?
The cost of a hamster at PetSmart is dependent on the breed of hamster you are interested in. However, the general cost for different hamster breeds currently available at PetSmart is as follows:
- The Chinese Dwarf Hamster – $18.99.
- Roborovski Dwarf Hamster – $18.99.
- Long-Haired Hamster – $18.99.
- Winter White Hamster – $18.99.
- Short Haired Hamster – $18.99.
- Fancy Bear Hamster– $22.99.
- Russian Dwarf Hamster– $18.99.
However, it’s important to note that purchasing a hamster at PetSmart incurs extra costs related to taking care of the hamster.
What Are the Extra Costs for Buying a Hamster at PetSmart?
Once you purchase the hamster, other extra costs that you must factor in include the following:
- Buying a cage – cost is approximately $30-$70.
- Buying a water bottle – cost is approximately $5.
- Buying a food dish – costs approximately $5.
- Buying chew sticks – costs approximately $5.
- Buying bedding material – costs approximately $5.
- Monthly supplies of bedding and food- costs approximately $25.
The above extra costs provide the immediate needs of a hamster. A PetSmart employee might recommend other items and costs.
How Can I Purchase a Hamster at PetSmart?
At PetSmart, all live pets, including hamsters, are available for purchase in-store only.
Therefore, if you plan to purchase one, you should locate a local store and complete the purchase there.
However, it’s essential to note that PetSmart adheres to state and local regulations, which may vary depending on your region.
Furthermore, some hamsters may not be available in all stores and may be seasonal.
In addition to this, the gender, pet size, and color may vary by store. Therefore, store visits may help an individual make the right purchase.
What Are the Requirements for Buying a Hamster at PetSmart?
Once you have made up your mind to purchase a hamster, you should visit a local PetSmart store to complete the purchase.
You can choose to pay the full amount of your chosen hamster instantly or pay using interest-free payment plans via Afterpay.
In addition, pet owners who purchase a hamster at PetSmart are notified of the PetSmart Promise.
The PetSmart Promise dictates that if the pet becomes ill within 14 days of purchase or is dissatisfied with the purchase, you should return the pet.
Ultimately, pet returns are eligible for replacements or refunds of the purchase price.
Once you purchase the hamster, the pet owner should take extra precautions in preventing the spread of viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic diseases.
They should also use caution when handling the pet to avoid bites and scratches.
What Are Some Tips for Buying Hamsters at PetSmart?
When purchasing a hamster at PetSmart, the pet owner buys the animal itself and its accouterments.
Other important tips to know before buying a hamster at PetSmart are as follows:
- Most hamsters grow up to 3 to 4 inches and live for an average of 2 years.
- The hamsters require 80% pelleted food, 15% vegetables, 5% fruits, and treats, and a bowl of fresh water every day.
- The pelleted food is refreshed daily, the fresh vegetables and water are served daily, while the fruits and treats should be offered twice a week.
- In addition to this, the hamster needs a habitat sized 12 x 12 x 12 inches or larger. In most cases, a multi-level home is preferred.
- The habitat should be placed in an area with low humidity and out of direct sunlight, with an appropriate amount of clean bedding.
- This bedding must be clean and maintained, as per the directions on the product packaging.
- Furthermore, transport tubes and an exercise wheel are recommended for play and exercise.
- Hide houses are ideal for hamsters since they provide a private spot for your pet.
- In addition to this, edible nests are recommended to encourage the pet to chew regularly.
Hamsters at PetSmart cost approximately $16 to $25, exclusive of the extra costs incurred when taking care of the hamster.
Pet owners who are interested in purchasing a hamster at PetSmart should visit their physical store, select their preferred pet, and get additional tips on how best to care for the hamster.