If you’re unhappy with your current job and are looking to make a change, why not consider becoming a FedEx driver? FedEx employees are paid competitive salaries, receive generous vacation time, and get all kinds of benefits.
In this article, you’ll find out more about the pay and benefits for FedEx drivers, see what the duties are, and learn how to apply, so keep reading!
How to Become a FedEx Driver in 2022
Becoming a FedEx driver requires applicants to have a high school diploma or GED, a clean driving record, a Class A CDL, a minimum of one year of experience, and be at least 21 years of age in 2022. To apply for a driving position, search for available opportunities on the FedEx careers website.
This article is packed with all kinds of helpful information about becoming a FedEx driver, so keep reading for more facts!
What Are the Different Types of FedEx Drivers?
If you’re thinking about becoming a FedEx driver, then it’s helpful to know what kinds of opportunities are available to you.
Let’s take a closer look at the various driving-related jobs at FedEx:
When you’re hired as a driver apprentice, you receive training in order to become a proficient tractor trailer operator.
This happens through a combination of education and driving skills development.
In addition to your driving responsibilities, you’ll also be given non-driving duties like operating a forklift and working on the loading dock.
City drivers, often referred to as local delivery drivers, are responsible for picking up and delivering packages between Service Centers and customers.
Road drivers, or long-haul drivers, pick up and deliver trailers between Service Centers and turn-point locations.
These over-the-road drivers travel long distances and are often away from home for long periods of time.
What Are the Duties of a FedEx Driver?
In addition to knowing which opportunities are available, understanding what’s expected of FedEx drivers is important to know before applying.
Picking up and delivering packages is the single most important duty for FedEx drivers.
However, their responsibilities don’t end there. Drivers are also expected to do the following:
- Take phone calls from customers
- Sort packages
- Load their vehicle
- Retrieve items
- Collect signatures
- Keep their vehicle clean and in good condition
What Are the Requirements for Becoming a FedEx Driver?
There are quite a few requirements when it comes to applying for a position as a FedEx driver.
You must meet the following requirements:
- Class A commercial driver’s license with double or triple hazardous materials and tank endorsements
- Minimum 1 year of experience or have completed the FedEx Freight Driver Development Course
- Have acceptable MVR (Motor Vehicle Records) based on hiring standards
- Be at least 21 years old
- Have a clean criminal record and drug history
- Meet DOT regulations under section 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier (FMC) regulations
- Have basic written, verbal, and arithmetic skills
- Know how to hook and unhook trailers
- Be able to lift freight of 100 pounds
- Be able to work independently or with team members
- Be able to sit for long periods and get in and out of a truck
- Be able to follow instructions and complete required training
It’s worth noting that most FedEx drivers hold a high school diploma or a general education diploma (GED), but this is not required.
As well, you should be aware that the requirements to be a FedEx driver may differ. Some divisions or managers may require additional qualifications or experience.
How Much Do FedEx Drivers Make?
Driver pay at FedEx mostly depends on the job description.
As an example, local drivers are typically paid via a fixed daily wage, per stop, or per hour. However, wages vary significantly depending on the position.
For instance, a FedEx delivery driver earns an average of $20 per hour, while a CDL A driver earns $29 or more per hour.
As well, it’s worth noting that while the average base pay for a FedEx driver in the U.S. is $59, 469 per year, wages vary significantly based on location.
Below, you can see some examples of how annual pay differs in certain cities:
|New York City||$66,966|
|San Jose, California||$62,213|
What Are the Benefits of Working at FedEx as a Driver?
Working as a driver at FedEx is hard work, but it doesn’t go unnoticed. Indeed, FedEx offers its drivers a variety of benefits. Some examples include:
- 100% of monthly health insurance premiums paid
- 11 paid vacation days each year
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Stock options
- Discounts on products and services offered by FedEx
- Discounts on care services (e.g. childcare, summer camp, prenatal care, pet care)
- Adoption reimbursement initiative of $5,000 per year
- Tuition reimbursement ($5,000 per year for full-time employees and $2,500 per year for part-time employees)
How Do I Apply to Become a FedEx Driver?
If you’re sold on becoming a FedEx driver and meet the requirements, then the only thing left to do is apply.
Below, I’ll walk you through the step-by-step instructions for completing your application:
1. Search the FedEx Career portal
Go to the FedEx Careers website, where you can search by job title and location.
2. Review the available positions
After entering your search criteria, review the list of available positions.
Each listing will provide you with a description of the job, the educational requirements, and the skills needed.
If a position catches your attention, click on the purple “Apply” button on the right side of the screen.
3. Login or create a FedEx account
You need an account in order to apply for positions at FedEx. To create a new account, you’ll be asked to provide your name, email address, and password.
4. Fill out the online application
Once you’ve created your account, complete the application by filling out your personal and professional information.
As well, you’ll be required to supply information about your work availability, any disciplinary or criminal record, academic credentials, references, and your recent employment information.
After completing the application, click “Submit.”
5. Wait to hear back from the FedEx Recruitment Office
After your application has been submitted, it will be recorded and stored with FedEx for a year from the date it was submitted.
That said, you’ll likely hear back from FedEx much earlier than that if your skills and education are a match for the position.
If you meet the skills and education requirements, then working as a FedEx driver could be a great opportunity for you. Not only is the company always hiring, but driver positions are well-compensated and come with all kinds of benefits.