Ordering food on DoorDash is incredibly easy and makes getting orders from your favorite restaurants a lot more convenient. However, customers sometimes make a mistake when ordering food on DoorDash.
So, what do you do when you want to cancel your DoorDash order? And when you cancel DoorDash orders, do you get a refund?
I was curious about the same questions, and looked into the matter further, so keep reading for everything you need to know!
How Can I Cancel a DoorDash Order and Get a Refund In 2023?
To cancel your DoorDash order, click on your order in question, select “Help,” and then select “Cancel Order” in 2023. However, you only have a few moments to cancel your order and receive a full refund. That said, if the restaurant or a DoorDasher confirms your order, you only get a partial refund.
To discover more about canceling DoorDash orders, how to receive a full refund, why DoorDash automatically cancels orders, and more, keep on reading for more facts and tips!
Can You Cancel DoorDash Orders?
Whether you place your DoorDash order on the mobile app or on your desktop, you can cancel it by following a few simple steps.
However, you have to cancel your DoorDash order before it is out for delivery. Also, the delivery status of your order affects your refund (see below).
1. Canceling DoorDash Orders on the App
If you accidentally place the wrong order on the DoorDash app, or change your mind about your food, you can cancel it within a matter of minutes.
To cancel your DoorDash order on the mobile app, follow these steps:
- Select the order in question on the “Orders” tab
- Select “Help” in the top right-hand corner
- Select “Cancel Order” or click on “Cancel Order” in the “Order Details” section
- Continue by following the on-screen prompts
2. Canceling DoorDash Orders on Desktop
If you don’t have the DoorDash mobile app, you can also place orders on your desktop computer.
Additionally, you can cancel your DoorDash orders directly from the website, just like the app.
Therefore, here are the steps to follow if you want to cancel your DoorDash order on your desktop:
- Click on the button with the three lines on the screen’s top left-hand corner
- Select “Orders,” and click on the order you want to cancel
- Select “Help” on the screen’s right-hand side
- Select “Cancel Order”
- Continue by following the on-screen prompts
If You Cancel DoorDash Orders, Can You Get a Refund?
If you cancel your DoorDash order, you can receive a refund. However, the amount that DoorDash refunds you depends on the status of your order.
For example, DoorDash’s refund policy is as follows:
- Full refund: the restaurant hasn’t confirmed the order, and a DoorDasher hasn’t been assigned to the order yet
- Partial refund: the restaurant hasn’t confirmed the order, but a DoorDasher has been assigned to the order
- Partial refund: the restaurant has confirmed the order, but a DoorDasher hasn’t been assigned to the order yet
- No refund: the restaurant has confirmed the order, and a DoorDasher has been assigned to the order
How Long Do You Have to Cancel DoorDash Orders?
If you want to cancel your DoorDash order and receive a full refund, you’ll have to act relatively fast.
According to DoorDash customers, the cancellation window is only a few minutes to be eligible for a full refund.
That said, DoorDash’s services are quick, and restaurants receive order notifications very soon after you place the order.
Fortunately, you can see the status of your DoorDash order at every step of the process, so you’ll know how much of a refund you can expect.
Therefore, if you’re only going to qualify for a partial refund, it might be best to accept the order as you normally would.
What Happens If You Cancel a DoorDash Order After It’s Confirmed?
If you cancel your DoorDash order after the restaurant confirms it, you’ll only receive the delivery charge and your tip as part of the refund.
So, if your DoorDash order is already confirmed, it’s best to follow through with the order, so you don’t lose too much money.
What If There’s an Issue with Your DoorDash Order?
If you ever have any issues with your DoorDash delivery, the company requests that you contact customer support.
That said, you should contact DoorDash customer support if you are outside the window for a refund.
Additionally, there is a broad range of factors that can cause an issue with your delivery, such as the following:
- Your DoorDashers asks you to cancel the order
- The restaurant is closed
- The restaurant no longer has the menu item you ordered
- Your DoorDasher is dealing with an unexpected emergency
Moreover, you shouldn’t hesitate to contact DoorDash customer support if you have an issue.
With that, the sooner you contact customer support, the more likely you are to receive a full refund and other perks for the mix-up.
Why Does DoorDash Automatically Cancel Orders?
Sometimes, circumstances arise that force DoorDash to cancel your order without warning. Unfortunately, there are a number of reasons for this, including:
- The restaurant is closed, and the DoorDasher can’t pick up the order
- The restaurant is out of the food you ordered
- The restaurant is no longer accepting any takeout orders
If your DoorDash order is canceled without your approval, DoorDash ensures that you’ll receive a full refund or a gift card for the amount of your order.
However, if you don’t receive a refund automatically, make sure you reach out to DoorDash’s customer support for assistance.
To know more, you can also read our posts on DoorDash cold food, is DoorDash 24/7, and how to cancel a DoorDash order & get a refund.
DoorDash allows you to cancel your order in the app or on the desktop system. That said, simply click on “Orders,” “Help,” and “Cancel Order.”
However, keep in mind that you only have a few moments to cancel your order and still receive a full refund from DoorDash. Otherwise, you’ll only be eligible for a partial refund if the restaurant or a DoorDasher confirms your order.