Many Americans dread grocery shopping, so the ability to use a delivery service like Instacart is a huge boon, but the app can be pricey.
But if you’re thinking about helping someone out with their weekly groceries, you might be wondering- can you buy a gift card for Instacart? Keep reading to see what I discovered!
Can You Buy a Gift Card for Instacart In 2023?
Instacart gift cards are available both online and in stores in a variety of locations, including the Instacart website. You can purchase digital gift cards or physical ones, the former of which is sent through email. Further, Instacart allows users to gift Express Memberships, which feature zero delivery/pick-up fees and other perks.
If you’d like to learn more about where to purchase Instacart gift cards, how to send an Instacart gift card, and more, keep reading for more useful facts and tips!
Where Can You Buy Instacart Gift Cards?
You don’t need to have an Instacart account to send a gift card.
However, while you can place orders and make changes to your account with the Instacart app, you cannot buy gift cards from it yet.
Instead, to send a digital Instacart gift card, you will need to go to the actual website, www.instacart.com.
Additionally, you can buy these gift cards from online retailers like Amazon and Wayfair.
Instacart also sells physical gift cards at many retail locations.
Some retail stores include Walgreens, Sam’s Club, Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, TOPS Friendly Markets, Giant Eagle Supermarket, Wegmans, and Target.
How Do You Send Someone an Instacart Gift Card?
Let’s examine how you send an Instacart gift card using the Instacart.com website:
- Go to www.instacart.com.
- On the main landing page, you will have to scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says “Get deliveries with Instacart.”
- Under “Instacart Programs,” select the Gift Cards option.
- Alternatively, if you’re an Instacart user already, you can go to the website and click on the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner.
- From that drop-down menu, scroll down to Credits and Promos, where the second item in the list is Buy Gift Cards.
- Either way, you end up at the Gift Card landing page, where you can click the green button (either of them) that reads Send Gift Card.
- From the next page, you can create the actual gift card.
- Choose from value amounts: $25, $50, $100, and so on, or pick your own custom amount.
- Next, you will add in the recipient’s name, their email address, and a personal message if you want.
- Instacart also gives you the option of choosing from a few different designs for the “card” (it will obviously just appear as an image in the email).
- You can also pick when the gift card gets sent. For example, if you’re shopping early, set the date for the recipient’s actual birthday or graduation day, etc.
- You fill out the sender information, then move on to Check Out.
- Here you’ll see your total and enter any financial information if needed (if you’re logged in they will have your card info, which you can choose from).
- Place your order and the card will be sent either immediately or on the date, you have chosen.
The highest amount you can add on is $500; you will also notice that you can give an Express membership as a gift.
Instacart is normally free to use, but the Express membership, which costs $10/month, includes free shipping and pick-up on all orders and discounts on fees.
(Occasionally, Express members also receive discounted prices on many different groceries, too.)
You can gift your recipient with a three-month, six-month, or 12-month membership, priced at $29, $59, and $99, respectively.
How Much Can You Put on an Instacart Gift Card?
As I mentioned, the maximum amount an Instacart gift card will hold is $500.
The site presets amounts of $25, $50, $100, $200, and $500, but you can also select “Custom” and pick any amount, in any denomination, as long as it’s $500 or less.
You can also choose to give an Instacart Express membership- three months for $29, six months for $59, and 12 months for only $99.
What Does an Instacart Gift Card Cover?
Just like a credit or debit card, Instacart covers all fees associated with a given order.
This includes groceries, non-grocery items, delivery fees, operational fees, and even driver tips.
Instacart’s fees can accumulate pretty quickly, especially for non-Express members ordering delivery, and that all-inclusiveness is what makes an Instacart gift card so great.
However, note that Instacart gift cards don’t cover the cost of alcohol.
How Do You Pay With a Gift Card on Instacart?
If you are the recipient of a digital Instacart gift card, open the email, and when you click to “receive” the gift card, it will automatically apply to your account.
If you don’t have an account, you will be prompted to create one before you can use your gift card.
Bear in mind, though, that you don’t have much control over whether or when the gift card is used on orders.
Therefore, if you know you’ll have a money-tight month coming up in the future, don’t click on the content of the email.
You can save it until you’re ready to use it in that way.
If you have a physical gift card, you must have an account or sign up for one. Then you will navigate to the website (or you can use the app).
- Click on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner for the “Account Hub” menu.
- Scroll down to find Credits, promos & gift cards. Next, tap “Add promo or gift card.”
- Get your gift card ready, enter the code, and select “Add to Account.”
You’re all set! The gift card should show up at check-out as a form of payment.
To learn more, you can also read our posts on whether or not Instacart takes EBT, Instacart waitlist, Instacart refund policy, and some interesting gift card statistics.
Instacart gift cards are a great way to send someone the gift of convenience, as the cards cover most groceries (minus the alcohol), plus delivery and other applicable fees, including tips.
As well, senders can gift their recipients with months-worth of Express memberships, giving them the gift of free delivery and pick-up, plus other perks and discounts.