In 2019, Safeways parent company gained a new CEO. This led to confusion, as the company appointed the former Fred Meyer CEO to take over the role, and Kroger owns this company.
This change made many wonder if Safeway was now also owned by Kroger. If you’ve wondered the same thing, continue reading through this article to see what I found out!
Is Safeway Owned By Kroger?
Safeway is not owned by Kroger but is instead owned by Albertsons/ Sobeys. Additionally, Safeway’s parent company is also owned by Cerberus Capital Management, which owns many other businesses associated with Safeway. Kroger is also owned by Fred Meyer.
If you’d like to learn more about who owns Safeway, which other stores are under Safeway’s umbrella and more, continue reading through this article for more useful information.
Who Is Safeway Owned By?
Safeway is owned by Albertsons Companies, and was bought out by the company in 2015. In Canada, Safeway is managed by Sobeys, which is a division of Albertsons Companies.
Additionally, Albertsons Companies and Safeway are owned by Cerberus Capital Management, their parent company.
While Albertsons does own Safeway, Cerberus owns both companies as well as many other affiliated grocery and retail stores.
Which Other Stores are Affiliated With Safeway?
In addition to Safeway, Albertsons owns many retail and grocery stores. Most of the stores allow customers to use shared gift cards and coupons between each affiliated company.
The companies owned by Albertsons are as follows:
- ACME is a supermarket chain owned by Albertsons that operates in Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania.
- ACME Markets was founded in 1891 and operates additional services such as ACME Sav-On Pharmacies
Andronico’s Community Markets
- Andronico’s is a supermarket chain located in the San Francisco Bay Area and owned by Albertsons.
- Andronico’s was founded in 1929 and has 7 locations throughout the United States
- Carrs-Safeway is a supermarket chain owned by Albertsons located in Anchorage and Alaska. There are 24 store locations spread out through the region they’re located in.
- Carrs allows customers to use their Safeway Just For U rewards when making transactions.
- Jewel-Osco is a grocery store chain located in the greater Chicago area, and is owned and operated by Albertsons Companies.
- Jewel-Osco retains a pharmacy in their 188 store locations, and was founded in 1899.
- Pavilions is a division of Vons grocery stores located in Southern Carolina.
- While Pavilions is similar to Vons, they carry a more extensive selection of organic produce and other specialty foods
- The store was founded in 1985 and acquired by Albertsons Companies in 2015.
- Randalls is a grocery store chain located in Texas and operates 32 stores under the Albertsons banner.
- The chain was founded in 1966 and was acquired by Albertsons in 2015.
- Randalls stores include departments for fresh seafood, floral, cosmetics, a bakery and a department for developing film.
- Tomb Thumb is a gas station and grocery store acquired by Albertsons in 2015.
- The store opened in 1976 and features old fashioned products and services and a large variety of fresh produce. They also have a Growler Station with 18 beers on tap.
Which Stores Does Kroger Own?
While Kroger does not own Safeway, they are a subsidiary of Fred Meyer, one of the largest grocery companies in the United States.
In 1998 Kroger merged with Fred Meyer, and became one of the subsidiary companies along with Ralphs, QFC and Smith’s.
Kroger was founded in 1883 and has 2,876 store locations throughout the United States. It ranks #5 in the largest grocery companies in the United States.
If you are looking to learn more about Safeway, you can also read our related posts on Kroger statistics, why is Safeway so expensive, and if Kroger price matches.
Safeway is not owned by Kroger, but is a subsidiary company to Albertsons Companies.
The former CEO of Kroger switched positions to Safeway as CEO, which resulted in the confusion of whether or not Kroger acquired Safeway as a company.
Safeway is one of many companies under the Albertsons umbrella that are located across the United States.
In Canada, Sobeys is the Albertsons representative for Safeway store locations.