We all know how expensive purchasing a cell phone and other tech devices can be, which is why some people choose to purchase insurance for their device when they have Verizon.
Are you wondering: is Verizon Protect worth it for the cost? Do you have questions about what it covers? If so, keep reading to uncover whether this optional insurance is right for you!
Is Verizon Protect Worth It In 2023?
Verizon Protect is worth it if you’re someone that is prone to dropping their phone, or is prone to other accidents. It’s also worth it to a lot of people if they have purchased an expensive phone they want to protect. However, a lot of the additional benefits of Verizon Protect aren’t that important to justify the cost in 2023.
Do you want to know more about Verizon Protect, such as who is eligible for this insurance coverage? Well, continue reading below to learn all about this type of Verizon insurance!
What Does Verizon Protect Cover?
Verizon Protect is device insurance that’ll ensure your device is covered in a variety of situations, and includes the following insurance benefits:
- Unlimited cracked screen repair for a fee of $29 per claim
- Battery replacement through Verizon authorized repair centers
- Same-day replacement of devices that have been damaged, lost, or stolen when available
- Same-day set up of devices when available
- Insurance deductibles will range from $9 to $249 per claim, depending on the claim and device
Additionally, you’ll get a ton of added features and services with Verizon Protect, such as the following:
- Tech Coach expert personalized help
- Identity theft monitoring
- Wi-Fi protection and security
- Mobile device privacy and security
- Unknown phone number identification
How Much Is Verizon Protect Per Month?
Verizon Protect will cost $14 per month for a Tier 2 smartphone, or $17 per month for a Tier 1 device.
If you don’t know which tier your phone is in, the Asurion website can help you figure that out quickly and effortlessly. .
Additionally, if you have more than one device you’d like to insure, then the Verizon Protect Multi-Device plan is what you’ll need, which is $50 per month.
However, if you have more than 3 lines, then you’ll need to pay $11 for each extra line you want to be insured per month.
Who Is Eligible for Verizon Protect?
Verizon Protect is a specific Verizon insurance for customers living in New York, which means you’ll need to be a New York resident to qualify for this coverage.
Additionally, you need to also meet all of the requirements below, which include the following:
- Have a standard Verizon account (business, prepaid accounts, and government accounts aren’t eligible)
- Enroll in the insurance within 30 days of purchasing or activating a device on an existing or new line
- Have existing Total Equipment Coverage or Total Mobile Protection
If you brought your own device to Verizon, there are requirements to enroll in Verizon Protect, which include the following:
- The device is free of all defects
- The device functions properly without any damage (cannot have a cracked screen, even if the device otherwise works properly)
- Your device isn’t stolen
- Your device isn’t lost
- The device must be activated on a new line only
However, if you’re outside of New York, you can still get excellent coverage and the same benefits through Verizon Mobile Protect.
Does Verizon Protect Cover Water Damage?
Verizon Protect does cover water damage, and you may even get a new replacement device the same day the damage occurs!
Additionally, water damage is a big concern for regular smartphone users, so the water damage protection alone could be enough to justify paying for Verizon Protect.
How Do I Cancel My Verizon Protection Plan?
It’s very simple to cancel your Verizon Protect insurance coverage by going into the My Verizon app or website.
You’ll need to select “Add-Ons & Apps,” and then remove the service from your account, but you’ll need to be the account owner or manager to cancel Verizon Protect.
Additionally, you’ll receive a prorated refund once you’ve canceled.
However, if you cancel, it makes you ineligible for other insurance, unless the device meets those specific eligibility requirements.
Therefore, if you just want to change the type of insurance you have, select “Add-Ons & Apps” in My Verizon, and then find the device protection coverage you want to switch to.
Should You Pay for Verizon Insurance?
Verizon insurance such as Verizon Protect is worth it if you’re someone that does tend to break devices and is prone to getting into accidents, especially if you’re not a careful person.
However, there are several factors that you should consider before paying for Verizon insurance, including the following:
- How much did your device cost?
- How much would it be to repair your device out of pocket?
- Are the deductibles of $9 to $249 reasonable to you?
- Are you known for breaking devices?
- Do you have children or pets that are known to play with your device?
- What’s your financial situation, and can you afford that extra monthly fee?
- What types of cases or other accessories do you purchase to protect your phone?
For example, if you have a phone that costs $100, it’s not worth it at all because the fees would be much higher than the phone itself.
However, a phone worth $1,000 insurance is a great option!
To find out more, you can also read our posts on Verizon Protect, are Verizon phones unlocked, and AT&T vs Verizon coverage.
Verizon Protect is an insurance option for customers in New York, and will cost between $14 and $17 per month, depending on the tier of your device. Additionally, multi-device protection will cost $50 per month for up to 3 lines, but additional lines will cost $11 each per month!
Deductibles will range from $9 to $249 per claim made. However, Verizon Protect offers extra features, such as identity theft monitoring, Wi-Fi protection, and data protection, which isn’t something most people will find useful for the monthly cost.