While e-mail marketing tends to get a lot of attention these days, it can be plagued by low open rates and increasingly-sharp spam filters. What’s more, you need an active email list, something that could take years to cultivate.
So, what do you do if you want to advertise locally as a small business owner, a restaurant, a realtor, or a political candidate? Enter USPS’ Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) service. In this article, we’ll tell you how it works, why it’s helpful, and how much it costs, so keep reading!
What Is EDDM at USPS In 2023?
Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) is a service provided by USPS in 2023. It allows small businesses to advertise in their local community without the need for a postal permit or an address list. Senders can mail between 200 and 5,000 pieces of mail per day. Each mailpiece is priced at $0.20. Delivery takes 1-2 business days.
We’ll answer all of your questions about EDDM in this article, so please read until the end for more useful facts and tips!
What Is USPS EDDM?
Every Door Direct Mail (or EDDM for short) is a mailing service offered by the U.S. Postal Service.
With this service, customers can mail between 200 and 5,000 coupons, menus, flyers, or postcards to local postal customers.
This makes it an incredibly helpful service for small businesses, restaurants, realtors, and local political campaigns looking to advertise in their immediate area.
It doesn’t require a mailing permit or even a mailing address.
Simply enter the desired delivery routes, prepare the mailpieces, and drop them off at the Post Office, and USPS takes care of the rest!
How Does USPS’ EDDM Work?
USPS has an online EDDM tool that allows users to target their mailings by ZIP Code.
But it doesn’t stop there, as after choosing an approximate area, users can select specific neighborhoods and filter by age, income, or household size.
To use this service, you must log in to the EDDM tool. New EDDM retail accounts can be created here.
How Do I Create an EDDM Retail Mailing?
Once you’ve created an EDDM retail account, follow these steps to create individual EDDM retail mailings:
- Search for a full address, city/state, or ZIP Code, then click “Show Table” to see details on neighborhood routes.
- Filter your audience by route type, age, income, and cost. Select the neighborhood(s) you’d like to use. You can select multiple routes for a single mailing.
- Review your selections under “Order Summary” then save or continue.
- Design and print your mailpiece.
- Choose a drop-off date and payment options. You can pay online using a credit or debit card or at the post office using a card or a check.
- On the “Order Confirmation” screen, view and print all Postal Service processing forms and the correct EDDM slip to attach to mailing bundles.
- Drop off or ship your bundles.
For an even more detailed explanation of these steps, head to the official USPS EDDM webpage.
Why Should I Use USPS’ EDDM?
EDDM is a useful service for getting marketing messages into the hands of consumers.
More specifically, it helps mailers reach out to a location without an address list, helps build more traffic, helps reduce mail preparation costs, and can potentially increase revenue.
What Are the Requirements for Using USPS’ EDDM?
There are a few requirements you must abide by when using USPS’ EDDM.
- Mail pieces are limited to USPS Marketing Mail flats only
- Each mailpiece must display the “Every Door Direct Mail” retail indicia
- Users must select at least 200 mailpieces in a ZIP Code unless the ZIP Code does not cover 200 mailpieces
What Are the Size Requirements for EDDM?
Mailpieces sent through EDDM must conform to USPS’ size requirements. They are as follows:
- Be greater than either 6 ⅛ inches high or 10.5 inches long on one side
- No side can be longer than 15 inches long or 12 inches high
- Weight cannot be more than 3.03 ounces
- Must be thicker than 0.007 inches but less than 0.75 inches thick
- Type font must be at least a 4-point size
How Much Does USPS EDDM Cost?
Currently, USPS prices EDDM flyers, postcards, and other flats at $0.20 per piece.
How Long Does It Take for EDDM to Be Delivered?
Pieces sent as EDDM take 1 to 2 business days to arrive.
Does EDDM Need a Return Address?
EDDM mailers need to provide either a physical address or a PO Box as part of their mailpieces. Return addresses must be placed in the top left corner of the items.
USPS’ EDDM service is a great way for local businesses or personalities to advertise their offerings. Not only is it affordable at $0.20 per piece, but it’s also easy to set up, requiring no permit or mailing list.