Verizon is known for offering select groups of people discounts on its products and services, but are you wondering whether or not there is a Verizon teacher discount?
If so, continue reading to find out what I’ve discovered about whether Verizon offers teacher discounts and what types of discounts a teacher might receive through Verizon!
Verizon Teacher Discount In 2023
Verizon offers a teacher discount on both Verizon cell phone plans and Fios Home Internet in 2023. The amount of the discount offered will depend on how many phones you have on your account, or which Home Internet service you choose. You can sign up for the Verizon teacher discount if you’re an existing Verizon customer or a new customer.
Do you want to know more about Verizon teacher discounts, and how to qualify for the discounts offered? Keep reading below to find out all of the important details so you don’t miss out!
Is Verizon Giving Discounts to Teachers?
Verizon does give discounts to teachers on their monthly phone bills.
However, the specific amount of the discount will depend on which plan you have, and how many phones are on your account.
For example, if you only have one phone, then you’ll save $10 per month, whereas someone with 2 or 3 phones on their account will save $25 per month.
Furthermore, you’ll need to sign up for one of the Unlimited Plans to qualify for the teacher discount such as:
- 5G Start
- 5G Play More
- 5G Do More
- 5G Get More
- Play More Unlimited
- Do More Unlimited
- Get More Unlimited
- Just Kids Plan (requires an Unlimited Data Plan with a parental line)
With the discount, you may only have to pay $30 per month for your Verizon phone bill, although the price could go up to $50 per month if you choose the 5G Get More plan.
Does Verizon Teacher Discount Only Apply to Smartphones?
You don’t have to purchase a smartphone to get the Verizon teacher discount since it applies to either smartphones or basic phones.
How Do You Qualify for the Verizon Teacher Discount?
If you’d like to get the teacher discount offered by Verizon, you need to qualify for the offer, which includes eligibility criteria such as the following:
- Be currently employed as a teacher (kindergarten through post-secondary)
- Have 1 phone on an Unlimited Plan
- Validate your employment during registration
- Re-validate employment yearly
- Are the account owner or manager
- Have applied online for the discount using Discounts by Verizon
Does Verizon Offer Teacher Discount for Fios?
Verizon offers a teacher discount for Fios Home Internet, which can save you between $5 to $15 per month, depending on which Fios Home Internet plan you choose.
For example, the 200 Mbps plan is $35 per month after a $5 discount, while the 400 Mbps is $54.99 per month after a $10 discount.
The biggest Verizon Home Internet service is the 940/880 Gigabit Connection, which will be $74.99 per month after a $15 discount.
How Do You Register for the Verizon Teacher Discount?
It’s very easy to register for the Verizon teacher discount, but you’ll need to follow all of the steps to ensure your teacher discount is applied to your account, including the following:
- Go to the Verizon Teachers page, click on “Enroll to get your discount” and then select “Learn more”
- Select “Verify your eligibility” to begin the process, which uses me for verification
- You’ll need to have ID.me credentials, and if you don’t already have an ID.me account, you’ll need to make one first
- After ID.me has verified your credentials, then you’ll be redirected automatically to the Discounts by Verizon page
- Select either “New to Verizon” or “Existing Customer,” and begin the discount sign up process
Additionally, if your work email isn’t working when you’re signing up on Discounts by Verizon, you’ll have to upload a document to verify your employment.
There are specific criteria for any documents that you have to upload to qualify for the Verizon teacher discount, including:
- No proof of employment document can be older than 60 days
- Name of company and the date needs to be visible
- Sensitive personal details can be blocked out (such as your banking details or salary)
- The document needs to be in PNG, TIF, PDF, JPG, JPEG, or GIF format
- The document cannot exceed 5MB
Also, you may need to upload a teaching certificate if you live in certain states, and if that’s needed, then it’ll be requested during the verification.
How Do You Know If the Verizon Teacher Discount Was Accepted?
You can select “Check My Submission Status,” which will allow you to track the process of signing up for your teacher discount by entering in the requested information.
However, it could take 10 days for the discount to be validated if you had to submit documents, but you’ll get a notice from Verizon when validation has been completed and accepted.
Once you get the validation, you can view the discount quickly through the My Verizon app by following these steps:
- Select “Bill” from the main menu
- Go to “Current Bill” and select “Account Charges”
- Hit the “+” sign to see the details of the discount
Additionally, you can see the discount from the My Verizon website by doing the following:
- Select “Discounts”
- Go to the dropdown menu and select “Plan”
- Go to the bottom and select “Promotions and Discounts,” and it will be listed
However, it’s important to note that it could take up to 2 billing cycles for the discount to be applied to your account, so don’t worry if you don’t see it during the first month!
Do You Have to Renew the Verizon Teacher Discount?
You’ll have to renew your Verizon teacher discount anytime that Verizon asks, which is typically once a year.
Furthermore, you have 30 days from the time you receive the renewal notice to respond and revalidate your employment status
The discount will be removed if you don’t respond within that time frame, but you can get the discount back by validating your employment as requested.
Does the Verizon Teacher Discount Apply to Spouses?
Unfortunately, the Verizon teacher discount doesn’t apply to spouses, and it’s only for currently employed teachers who are the account owner or manager of their Verizon account.
Can Retired Teachers Apply for the Verizon Teacher Discount?
Verizon only allows currently-employed teachers to sign up for the teacher discount at this time, although in the future, Verizon may open up eligibility for retired teachers.
Verizon offers a teacher discount that ranges from $5 off per month to $15 off per month on both your Verizon cell phone bill and Verizon Fios Home Internet.
However, to qualify for the Verizon teacher discount, you’ll have to be currently employed as a teacher and use ID.me to verify your employment status and meet other eligibility criteria.