As one of the retail giants in the U.S., Walmart is popular with shoppers for low-priced goods and services. And to promote deals and convey important information to its loyal customers, Walmart maintains a large social media presence online.
But when it comes to the company’s social media platforms and the guidelines of engagement, you might be wondering: what exactly is Walmart’s social media policy? I did some research, and here is what I uncovered!
Walmart Social Media Policy
Walmart does request that all social media interactions follow certain guidelines for everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Unacceptable content includes bullying or discriminatory language, harassment, false statements, criminal incitement, and more.
If you want to know more about Walmart’s social media policy, its various social media platforms, and the dos and don’ts of its media guidelines, keep reading!
Does Walmart Censor Its Social Media?
Walmart does not work to impose censorship on social media engagement, but the company does reserve the right to remove content that is posted to its Facebook or Instagram pages that violate the community guidelines.
But, if you follow the guidelines laid out by the company, you will be able to communicate directly with the community of shoppers and associates on Walmart’s various social media platforms!
What Are Walmart’s Social Media Guidelines For Employees?
Walmart certainly does not discourage employees and associates from sharing opinions, but there are guidelines for social media posts.
Apart from the following considerations, it is important to Walmart that employees feel free to engage in social media communities and participate in conversations with other users!
Let’s discuss some of the guidelines for employees:
- Policy First—Walmart requests employees read and understand the company’s Information Policy, and not share confidential or private information on the business, goods, or customers. Financial disclosure law must be upheld, and employees should kindly refrain from speaking for Walmart as a company.
- Leave It To The Team—Because Walmart has a special team to deal with customers on social media, employees not on the official social platforms team should not engage directly with inquiries or criticisms.
- Company Channels—For handling job or employment-specific issues, employees should consider the primary use of Walmart’s direct channels for complaints or concerns related to the job or company. These are accessed through Walmart’s Open Door Process, or via WalmartOne.com.
What Are Walmart’s Social Media Guidelines For Customers?
Walmart’s online media guidelines are also simple for customers who wish to engage with the company on social media. These guidelines include:
- Be Nice—Walmart does not tolerate belligerent words, bullying, discriminatory language, graphic or gruesome description, harassment, name-calling, profanity, racism, sexism, or any other unpleasant interactions.
- The Law—Walmart expects all customers to maintain law-abiding behavior at all times, which precludes criminal suggestion, insinuation, or tips on such things as shoplifting or vandalism. Keep everything above board!
- Reality—Walmart expects that all posts and engagement should come from real people and actual customer profiles, not false, phishing, or spam accounts that take advantage of online anonymity. Facts are ideal, and even more so when they are backed up with research.
- On Topic—Walmart requests that all social media engagement is kept on topic, and the conversation relevant to the community dialogue. Off-subject, out-of-context, promotional, or spam dialogue is unwelcome, as are links to third-party websites.
To learn more, you can see our related posts on Walmart’s firing policy, Walmart’s bereavement policy, and how to call in sick at Walmart.
Walmart has a large presence online, via the most popular social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Walmart maintains a rigorous social media policy, keeping the online community safe and enjoyable for customers and employees.
While Walmart welcomes the discussion of opinions and questions, it reserves the right to remove content that is unacceptable under the dos and don’ts.