Amazon is a cutting-edge technology and e-commerce company, with a dominant presence in the digital age, not just for shopping but for streaming, too.
If you like to watch TV and movies, you may be wondering: what is Amazon Instant Video? I was thinking about this too, so I started researching, and here’s what I found out!
What Is Amazon Instant Video In 2023?
Amazon Instant Video is a service on Amazon similar to iTunes videos in 2023. It’s open to both Prime members and non-subscribers who may pay a small fee to rent or buy a show. Amazon Instant Video has new titles and is seen as a competitor to Netflix, although it’s not quite as popular.
If you’re ready to discover all there is to know about Amazon Instant Video, then keep reading for our entire guide, including how to access instant videos and what you can watch.
How Does Amazon Instant Video Work?
Amazon Instant Video has a wide selection of videos on demand, with options to rent or buy for most titles across popular genres like action, comedy, drama, and family.
To use Amazon Instant Video, users need to sign in to Amazon to browse all the movies and shows available.
The costs are usually between $2-$10, although some titles are offered exclusively through Amazon Prime Instant Video for members only.
Amazon Instant Video may appear next to a movie or show if you type into the general Amazon search bar.
Once the title is rented or purchased, it can be watched directly in the Amazon browser or app.
Just like other streaming services, Amazon has the proper licenses for video on demand, meaning the library is regularly updated, so users can choose from hundreds of titles.
Of course, Amazon Instant Video is limited to the movies and shows Amazon has licensing for, so you may not find all your favorite flicks on there.
It’s the same as how some movies and TV shows are only available on Netflix or Hulu.
That being said, Amazon has the advantage by owning IMDb, the internet movie database with over eight million titles.
When a new movie or TV show is released, Amazon makes it available for Instant Video access.
This provides another perk of the Prime membership and a convenient alternative to external streaming services for regular Amazon customers.
Where Can You Watch Amazon Instant Video?
According to Amazon, watching Amazon Instant Video is easy with streaming, available on over 650 different devices, including iPhones, computers, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
Keep in mind that many users report problems with Amazon Instant Video on Android, and it’s not available on Google Chromecast, either.
The good news is you can watch movies on demand on Amazon Kindle e-readers and through Alexa-enabled devices, as well as Roku set-top boxes.
Make sure you’re logged in and head to the options under your Prime account to view all the available shows and any saved movies or TV series.
Remember to click the title of the chosen show to start watching, and you need to maintain a reliable internet connection for the most successful streaming on Amazon Instant Video.
Otherwise, you can also download titles to watch later without internet access, which is an especially attractive and accessible feature for Prime members who can conveniently store titles in their library.
Is Amazon Instant Video Worth It?
Investing in Amazon Instant Video is worthwhile for a lot of movie lovers, and anyone who wants to stream a variety of shows directly on their phone, computer, or tablet.
If you’re weighing up all the different streaming options out there, here are some of the key benefits of Amazon Instant Video to keep in mind:
- Easy access – Amazon Instant Video is available 24/7, and new movies and shows are updated all the time. You can search by movie or TV show to find what you’re looking for, or you can browse different playlists on demand. Either way, Amazon video streaming is compatible with the majority of browsers and devices.
- Streaming entertainment – you can watch Amazon Instant Video right on your phone or computer, or stream it to Roku set-top boxes, Blu-ray DVD players, PlayStation, and Xbox 360.
- On-demand options – for most Amazon Instant Video rentals, you have 30 days to start watching the movie. This gives you good flexibility for planning ahead on movie nights and relaxing weekends with flicks for the entire family.
- Amazon Exclusives – Amazon doesn’t just have some of the biggest action blockbusters and drama series, but it also has up-and-coming exclusive shows that you can’t watch anywhere else. If an Amazon show has caught your eye, Instant Video is your best bet for easy-watching wherever you are.
- Impressive selection – at the end of the day, if you need more reasons to try Amazon Instant Video, the library of over 10,000 movies and TV shows may be enough to convince you. Prime members can watch thousands of these titles for nothing more than their monthly Prime membership fee of $12.99 a month, or movies and TV shows can be purchased through a one-off fee.
Amazon Instant Video is available across many devices, such as iPhones, iPads, personal and desktop computers, Alexa-enabled devices, Kindle e-readers, and Roku boxes.
There’s a wide range of new releases and classic movies to stream at the push of a button, and you can even download some titles straight to your computer or phone if you want to watch them on the plane or any other time you don’t have internet access.