Pizza is one of the most popular foods across the United States. No doubt, making it from scratch may be overwhelming at times. Luckily, Trader Joe’s makes it easy to create your own pie right from the comfort of your own home.
However, if you’ve never had it before you might have a few questions. Perhaps you are hesitant because you don’t know the quality of the dough or you are concerned about the freshness or even the taste. I’ve got 12 things to know before buying Trader Joe’s pizza dough!
12 Things to Know Before Buying Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough In 2022
1. Preparing Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Only Has a Few Steps
Preparing the dough for your pizza night will be easier than you may expect. The package gives instructions for both the oven and a barbeque.
First, you will need to make the pizza, and then follow the directions for either the oven or BBQ. To get the process started, follow the instructions here:
- Leave the dough at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from the package.
- Flour the surface liberally and roll dough into a 12” diameter circle.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings.
The instructions for the oven are as follows:
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place pizza on a lightly oiled pan or hot pizza stone and bake for 6-8 minutes until cheese bubbles and bottom of crust is golden brown.
These are the instructions for the barbeque:
- Place pizza stone on BBQ and preheat.
- Place pizza on pizza stone and cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes until cheese bubbles and bottom of crust is golden brown.
2. Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Is Easy on the Budget
Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough will only set you back about $1.19. Talk about pizza on a budget! One ball of dough will make approximately 3-4 portions.
So, depending on your choice of toppings, feeding your family will not break the bank.
Additionally, while Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough is affordable, you won’t have to worry about the quality, as some consumers say it is the best pizza dough they have ever had.
3. You’ll Want to Watch the Shelf Life of Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough
Fresh dough is likely your most delicious option for your family’s pizza night, because as we know in most cases, fresh tastes the best!
Of course, with every fresh product, it will go bad sooner than a heavily preserved product.
If you’re not planning on using the dough right away, you will want to throw it in the freezer for later.
I talk about freezing the dough in a later portion of this article, so keep your eyes open for that!
4. There Are a Few Options When It Comes to Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough
For your unique taste preferences, Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough comes in 3 different options. These include:
- Garlic & Herb
According to one frequent buyer, she suggests the Garlic & Herb flavor for making pizza with traditional toppings.
5. Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Can Be Made Into Other Things
Keep in mind that although it is called pizza dough, that isn’t the only thing you can make with it. Try not to limit yourself, and let your creativity take over!
You can make things like bread, garlic knots, and even desserts like zeppoles (fried dough with sugar on top).
6. You Can Buy Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough and Freeze It for Later
As mentioned before, Trader Joe’s pizza dough is really affordable, so buying it in bulk and freezing it for later is a great idea!
You will be sure to have pizza dough on hand for unexpected pizza nights.
Customers say that you shouldn’t even need to repackage the dough to freeze it- the original package should suffice.
To defrost, simply pull a ball of dough out of the freezer, and place it in the fridge overnight, in the morning toss it on your counter. By dinner time your dough will be perfect and ready to go!
7. Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Is Vegan
You may be excited to hear that Trader Joe’s pizza dough is, in fact, vegan!
Some great topping options for a vegan pizza using Trader Joe’s dough are:
- Tomato pizza sauce
- Multi Colored bell peppers
- Yellow onion
- Artichoke hearts
- Vegan cheese shreds
8. One Ball of Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Will Feed Your Whole Family
If you’ve got a family of 4, one ball of Trader Joe’s pizza dough should be enough to feed your family, as one ball is about 4 normal portions.
However, if your family is feeling extra hungry, or you are also planning to make a dessert with it as well, you may want to pick up an extra ball or 2.
9. Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough Can Be a Great Gluten-Free Option!
There are gluten-free options when it comes to pizza crust at Trader Joe’s, as the company offers a product called Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pizza Crusts.
As a tip, if you are looking for a gluten-free option, you will want to be sure that the package of the product specifically says ‘Gluten-Free’.
Unfortunately, some Trader Joe’s locations do not offer Gluten-Free Pizza Dough as an option.
Therefore, to be sure that your location offers this product, you may want to call your local store before going in to be sure that it’s in stock.
According to the ingredients list on the package, Trader Joe’s regular Pizza Dough is not gluten-free as it is made with wheat flour. In fact, it is listed as the first ingredient.
10. Trader Joe’s Doesn’t Prepare Its Own Pizza Dough
Something that may or may not come as a surprise to you is that Trader Joe’s doesn’t make its own products, including its pizza dough.
Trader Joe’s gets most of its products from other well-known companies across the United States and packages the products with its own labels.
11. Trader Joe’s Has Different Options for Pizza Crust
If Trader Joe’s fresh Pizza Dough is not an option for you, you may be considering what other options Trader Joe’s has to offer. Below are some other options that the store sells:
- Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Pizza Crust
- Trader Joe’s Pizza Crust
- Trader Joe’s Sprouted Whole Grain Pizza Crust
- Trader Joe’s Gluten-Free Pizza Crusts
12. Trader Joe’s Customers Have Pizza Dough Recipe Ideas
In case you are struggling to find ideas for pizza recipes, here are some other customer creations using Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough as a base:
- Pesto Pizza- Pesto, grilled chicken, mozzarella cheese, and roma tomatoes.
- Super Italian- Tomato pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, basil, and balsamic drizzle.
- Gourmet Feast Pizza- Tomato pizza sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, marinated artichoke hearts, prosciutto, and gouda cheese.
- Greek Pizza- Tomato pizza sauce, spinach, olives, feta.
- Italiano Pizza- Alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella.
- Breakfast Pizza- Tomatoes, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, bell peppers, mozzarella.
As you can see, the topping options are completely customizable and endless!
To know more, you can also read our posts on the things to know before buying Trader Joe’s chocolate, soup dumplings, and wine.
Using Trader Joe’s Pizza Dough is a great way to spend time with your family, creating your own customized pizzas for dinner.
There are endless topping and sauce options which make it great for everyone to enjoy. You can be sure that pizza night will not be a letdown!