Trader Joe’s has hundreds of great products to choose from. Its freezer aisle has items that you have likely been dying to try, but maybe you are unsure of whether or not you will like them, like Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings for example.
If you are looking for a new favorite and you are looking to try soup dumplings, no doubt you may be nervous about what to expect from them, don’t worry, I’ve got 10 things for you to keep in mind!
10 Things to Know Before Buying Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings In 2023
1. Making Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings at Home Is Easy
Though you might be new to soup dumplings and what it takes to cook them, it may be easier than you would expect.
The package directions give clear and easy instructions on how exactly you cook soup dumplings, either by microwaving them or by stove-top. Let’s break it down!
The microwave (1200watt) instructions are as follows:
- Cut one corner of the bag to allow steam to escape.
- Place the tray directly into the microwave and heat on high for 1.45 to 2 minutes.
- Let sit for 1 minute before removing from the microwave (bag and dumplings may be hot).
- Open the bag along the seams with caution.
The stove-top instructions are here:
- Fill a pot fitted with a steamer basket with water and bring to a boil.
- Place dumplings into steamer with ample space between each piece.
- Do not crowd.
- Cover with lid, and steam for 8-10 minutes or until dumplings are fully heated.
- Remove carefully.
As you can see, cooking soup dumplings may not be as overwhelming as you would think.
2. How to Eat Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings
There is a specific way to eat dumplings- in order to get the best experience, you’ll want to drink the broth out of the dumpling before eating the dumpling itself.
Listed below are some tips on how to properly eat soup dumplings:
- Pick up the soup dumpling with chopsticks by pinching/ lifting from the middle of the dumpling, which is the thickest part.
- Place the dumpling on a large soup spoon.
- Make a small hole in the dumpling either by biting a little bit off the top, or poking a small hole in the side with your chopstick.
- Let the dumplings steam escape for a few seconds and allow it to cool down.
- Suck/ slurp the broth off of the spoon.
- Finally, eat the whole dumpling in one or two bites.
3. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Are Not Gluten-Free
Though the dumpling filling may be gluten-free, one of the ingredients in the dough is wheat flour, meaning that, unfortunately, they are not completely gluten-free.
Sadly, there is not a gluten-free soup dumpling option available at Trader Joe’s. The store does, however, have other gluten-free items such as bread, pizza crust, and muffin baking mixes.
4. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Won’t Last in the Freezer for More Than 6 Months
Planning on eating the dumplings sooner than later will definitely be your best option. Trader Joe’s soup dumplings only stay fresh in the freezer for about 6 months.
As they don’t have the longest freezer life, you’ll want to be sure that they are stored in a sealed container or bag if you are planning on freezing them for a while.
5. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Can Be Cooked From Frozen!
You can cook Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings from frozen! In fact, it is actually recommended that they are kept frozen until you are ready to cook and eat them.
For best results, simply follow the package directions as listed above, and you will be eating delicious soup dumplings in no time.
6. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Can Be Reheated!
If you weren’t hungry enough to finish all of your soup dumplings in one sitting, don’t worry, they can easily be reheated in just a few minutes.
One consumer says that you can reheat them by placing them in the microwave for about 60-90 seconds, or in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes. Just be sure to stir them as they cook.
7. Trader Joe’s Does Not Make Its Own Dumplings
Trader Joe’s does not make any of its own products, and that includes its Soup Dumplings.
The company sources its products from different well-known manufacturers all across the country. This could explain why rival brands can taste so similar to Trader Joe’s products.
8. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Taste Really Good for Being From the Frozen Aisle
According to one review, Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings taste amazing! They have great texture and an even better flavor.
This reviewer recommends that you not hesitate on your next trip to Trader Joe’s to pick up some of its delicious soup dumplings.
9. Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings Won’t Break the Bank
Luckily, Trader Joe’s tasty treat won’t cost you an arm and a leg, as it might in a restaurant.
In fact, 6 soup dumplings cost about $2.99 at most Trader Joe’s locations across the United States.
At such a reasonable price, you won’t be disappointed in Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings.
10. Trader Joe’s Dumplings May Not Be Enough to Quench Your Hunger
The dumplings come in a package of 6, and the serving size is meant to be enough for one person.
If you are planning on feeding your family a dinner of soup dumplings, you may want to consider grabbing a couple of packages, as one package will simply not be enough for everyone.
According to some reviews, some customers wish there was more in each package, not only because they taste so good, but also because the consumer was still hungry after eating all of the dumplings.
As a tip, you may want to consider pairing your dumplings with a side dish such as Asian-inspired rice or noodles.
To know more, you can also read our posts on the things to know before buying Trader Joe’s pizza dough, chocolate, and wine.
Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings are definitely one of the best things the store has to offer. They are not only delicious but super quick and easy to prepare, though you may want to consider picking up more than one package if you are planning on feeding your whole family.
If you decide to pick up Trader Joe’s Soup Dumplings on your next trip to the store, you will not be disappointed. According to many reviews, they are very tasty and worth every penny.