Since it was launched, Apple Pay has grown into one of the most widely used forms of payment in the country, because it’s conveniently tied to the customer’s phone.
So, if you’re one of the people that uses it frequently and are wondering whether it’s available at Petco, read this article to learn more about this topic!
Does Petco Accept Apple Pay In 2023?
Petco accepts Apple Pay at its physical stores, but not for online purchases in 2023. In fact, Petco was one of the first retailers to adopt Apple Pay when it first came out. The company used it to build on the wireless transactions that it had been supporting since 2012 at Petco and Unleashed by Petco stores.
Continue reading to learn everything you need to know about using Apple Pay at Petco, including using it online, in the store, and other useful facts!
Does Petco Accept Apple Pay In-Store?
Petco accepts Apple Pay in its stores. Since 2014, the company has incorporated the technology at the main stores and at Petco Unleashed.
Petco was one of the first companies to accept Apple Pay in its stores when it launched.
In a statement by Petco’s CEO at the time, the company was quick to adopt the technology, because it allowed it to focus on quick service without compromising customers’ security.
Before this, Petco had already had a somewhat similar system in place for wireless payments.
It used the Near Field Communication (NFC) technology in certain credit cards and mobile phones to allow customers to tap and pay at checkout stations.
Does Petco Accept Apple Pay Online?
According to a tracker of companies that provide contactless payment options at checkout, Petco does not accept Apple Pay online.
This information was posted by the page in August 2020, and it might be outdated, but Petco itself has not made any mention of Apple Pay’s availability online.
Therefore, we can safely assume that you can’t use it.
Luckily, there’s a workaround that lets you use Apple Pay on Petco’s website via a third-party app called Zip, formerly known as Quadpay.
It works by creating a virtual Visa card at checkout that is only used once for the transaction.
It’s intended to keep your real debit card number safe when you’re shopping online, but we’ve found a way to make it do more than that.
To use Apple Pay online at Petco, follow these steps:
- Download and install Zip from the App Store
- Open the app and navigate to the “Cards” tab
- Click on “Get a card”
- Read through before accepting the terms and conditions
- Add Zip to Apple Pay to link your account
- Go back to the app’s home screen
- Search for “Petco” in the list of retailers
- Shop as usual on the website
- At checkout, select “Pay with Zip”
- Confirm the transaction to complete the payment
This process will let you pull cash from your Apple Pay account to use when shopping online at Petco by creating a one-time Visa number because the company already accepts debit cards.
Does Petco Accept Apple Pay for Curbside Pickup?
Petco does not accept Apple Pay for curbside pickup.
Curbside pickup is an option you can only access by placing an order via the company website, and since you can’t use Apple Pay online at Petco, you can’t get curbside pickup with it either.
What Forms of Payment Does Petco Accept?
Petco accepts the following forms of payment:
- Credit and debit cards, including MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express
- Personal checks
- Petco Pals Rewards Dollars in increments of $5
- Physical and electronic gift cards from Petco and Unleashed by Petco
Petco also accepts buy now pay later plans, following its recently announced partnership with Klarna.
How Do I Add My Petco Card to the Apple Wallet?
You can’t add your Petco card to your Apple Wallet, because it isn’t one of the options supported at this time.
However, there is a way to use a third-party service to add your card.
Pass2U Wallet is an app that takes any card with a barcode and adds it to your Apple Wallet, whether or not the card is officially supported.
To add your Petco card to Apple Wallet, follow these steps:
- Download and install Pass2U from the App Store
- Grant the app access to your phone’s camera so it can use it to scan the barcode on your card
- Point the camera at the barcode to scan it automatically. If it doesn’t automatically scan, you can click on the pencil icon near the bottom to input the number manually
- When a popup appears asking you to confirm, tap “Yes” to convert the barcode to Apple Wallet Pass format
- In the list of pass types, select either “Store card” or “Generic”
- Enter a name for the card so you know which one it is if you have many. We recommend sticking with just calling it “Petco”
After following these steps, the card will be added to your Apple Wallet. You can customize it further with options like a logo, colors, and more, but all this is optional.
Pass2U does not require you to create an account to use the app, so you can set up your cards as soon as you’re done downloading and installing.
Petco accepts Apple Pay at its physical stores, but not online. This means that you cannot use Apple Pay for curbside pickup at Petco. Petco also lets you pay through credit and debit cards, Paypal, gift cards, and rewards points.