SNAP is a government program established to assist the homeless, disabled, and elderly in purchasing food using EBT cards.
Initially, EBT cards were only used to purchase food from participating retailers. Recently some states have allowed EBT users to buy products from participating restaurants. Keep reading and find out of Popeyes is among them!
Does Popeyes Take EBT In 2024?
Popeyes accepts Electronic Benefits Transfers from qualified customers as of 2024. Since only nine states have authorized restaurants to accept EBT, you can only use the card to purchase items from Popeyes outlets located within these states. Alongside Popeyes, other restaurants take EBT, such as KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell.
Stay on for more information on using your EBT card at Popeyes, other restaurants that take EBT, and much more!
Does Popeyes Accept SNAP Benefits?
The giant chicken sandwich chains accept SNAP benefits using EBT Food Stamps for food purchases. However, this program is only available to qualified SNAP recipients.
Under the SNAP Restaurant Meals Program (RMP), qualified SNAP participants are eligible to purchase food at participating SNAP authorized restaurants using their EBT-loaded debit cards.
Further, when a qualified SNAP recipient pays for food at Popeyes, their EBT account is debited to reimburse that particular Popeyes restaurant for the food customer purchased.
So, as long as you’re a qualified member of SNAP, you enjoy the benefits of paying for food at Popeyes using your already loaded EBT debit card and not your money.
How Do I Qualify For The Popeyes EBT Under The RMP?
Whereas EBT allows for the purchase of raw, uncooked, and not ready-to-eat hot food, there are procedures you need to follow to qualify for this program.
Therefore, to qualify for EBT under the RMP at Popeyes, you must indicate either incapacitated to cook or fulfill one of the following requirements:
- Your state must be a participant in the Restaurant Meal Program, and you must qualify for SNAP benefits
- Below age 16 or over 60 years old
- Have a permanent disability and must be receiving disability-related payments or retirement benefits
- If you were homeless
- If you are the spouse of a person who qualifies for RMP
How Do I Use My EBT Card To Buy Food At Popeyes?
Below are steps on how you can use your EBT card to pay for food at Popeyes:
- Move to the designated point of sale and present your card to the cashier (if you cannot walk, a Popeyes employee will assist you).
- Swipe your card through the point-of-sale (POS) terminal or hand your EBT card to the cashier.
- Enter your four-number Personal Identification Number (PIN) on the keypad. The terminal will show **** instead of the numbers you entered.
- Press the “ENTER” key.
- The cashier will enter the purchase amount.
- Press the “OK” or “YES” key if the amount is correct.
- You then get a copy of a printed receipt indicating; the store name and address, the total amount you paid, and your new food stamp benefits account balance.
- Keep the receipt to assist you in knowing your balance the next time you visit Popeyes for food.
Further, it is good to note that paying for food at Popeyes using your EBT card is free and has no charge fee.
How Can You Check Your EBT Card Balance At Popeyes?
You can check your current EBT card balance by checking your last printed receipt. That said, your new balance is always printed on the previous ticket you received.
However, if the receipt is missing, you can ask the Popeyes cashier if you can check your balance at the company’s POS machine.
Alternatively, you may call Customer Services and get assisted.
If you lose your card, immediately call Customer Services toll-free at 1-877-328-9677, and you shall be guided on how to get a new card; otherwise, you risk your card being used by a stranger.
Does Popeyes Accept EBT In California?
Yes, Popeyes accepts Electronic Benefits Transfers in California and eight other states in the US, including Arizona.
Ideally, Popeyes is one of the giant fast-food restaurant chains that accept SNAP/EBT cards for purchase across all its franchises within the nine states that allow the federal program.
What Is The Lowest Food Stamp I Get In My Popeyes EBT?
The minimum food stamp you can receive on your Popeyes EBT card under the benefit of SNAP is $16. However, this minimum benefit is available in all states except Hawaii and Alaska.
Also, before the increase to a minimum benefit of $16, the previous use was $15 and was contested.
What Can I Get With EBT?
With the Electronic Benefits Transfer, you are eligible for certain items and, simultaneously, limited to specific items.
For example, below are what you purchase using EBT:
- Fruits and vegetables
- Meat, poultry, and fish
- Dairy products
- Bread and cereals
- Other foods stuff such as snack foods and non-alcoholic beverages
- Seeds and plants produce food for the household to eat
Which Fast-Food Restaurants Accept EBT Cards?
Apart from Popeyes, numerous fast-food restaurants participate in the SNAP benefits program. As previously mentioned, their location highly determines the participation of these restaurants.
In fact, only nine states in the US allow EBT cardholders to use them in restaurants, which include the following:
- Arizona: allows most restaurants to participate
- California: the program is widely available in almost the entire state
- Hawaii: allows the program in select cities
- Michigan: allows the program in select cities
- Rhode Island: allows the program in select cities
- Maryland: allows the program in select cities
- New York: allows the program in select cities
- Illinois: allows the program in select cities
- Missouri: has recently allowed restaurants located in the region to participate in the SNAP program
Further, here are some restaurants that take EBT cards:
- El Pollo Loco
- Taco Bell
- Uncle Sam’s
- Burger King
- Pizza Hut
Popeyes accepts EBT cards since it participates in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and is thus authorized to use EBT cards.
At Popeyes, a registered EBT member can purchase a wide range of items. However, SNAP participants are limited to purchasing certain items such as beverages and non-food stuff.