Uber Eats promises its customers convenience by letting them order from their favorite restaurants and have it delivered to their location.
Paying with cash would make this whole process more convenient for customers who don’t want to deal with other payment methods. To find out if Uber Eats accepts cash, read on!
Does Uber Eats Take Cash In 2023?
Uber Eats accepts cash in certain markets as of 2023. When an Uber Eats courier makes a delivery paid in cash, the transaction becomes a debt that they can clear by making a payment to Uber before a due date. You can tip a driver in cash regardless of the payment method.
Read on to learn everything you need to know about paying with cash on Uber Eats, including how it works, how to use it, alternatives, and more!
Why Won’t Uber Eats Let Me Pay In Cash?
Sometimes Uber Eats doesn’t let you pay with cash if you’re in an area where the payment option is not available.
As established above, Uber Eats has not launched the cash payment option in all markets, and, even where it’s available, sometimes it gets restricted.
Is Uber Cash Automatically Applied?
Yes, Uber Cash is applied automatically on Uber Eats unless you use a business profile to place your order.
So, depending on whether or not you want this option, you can switch between your business and personal profile on Uber Eats in one of the following ways:
- Before selecting your order items: Look for “delivery details” at the top of the screen, tap it, then scroll down until you find “Profiles.” Click on it and toggle it to the profile you want to use.
- Before checking out: After selecting your items, go to “View cart” to checkout. Scroll down to find the payment methods and toggle your profiles as needed.
How To Pay With Cash On Uber Eats
To pay with cash on Uber Eats, follow these steps:
- Add items to your order as usual, then tap “View cart” to go to checkout when you’re done.
- Review the order, make sure everything is as you want it, and then scroll down to payment details.
- Review the cost of the order and include a tip if you want; then scroll down to payment options.
- Look for “Cash” in the options. If you don’t see it here, it’s not available in your area.
- Tap “Place order” to complete the process and wait for the driver.
- When they get to your location, take the food and hand them the cash.
When using cash to pay on Uber Eats, it’s best to have exact change ready just in case the driver doesn’t have any, so the process is smoother.
That said, this works for tipping, where you let the driver keep the difference. For example, if your order came out to $43, you could hand the driver a $50 bill to cover the whole transaction.
What Happens If An Uber Eats Customer Doesn’t Pay With Cash?
If a customer on Uber Eats doesn’t pay with cash, the driver should report it to the company, but they’ll still get paid.
With that, to report that a customer only paid part of or none of their bill, follow these steps:
- On the page with the order amount, look for a button to the bottom right of the figure that leads to more options and click it.
- Select the option that says, “The user did not pay.”
- Enter the amount the user paid or confirm that they didn’t pay at all.
- Complete the order.
When you use this procedure to report that the user failed to pay for their order, Uber Eats will follow up with payment for the food and the work you did, including the tip if they’d listed one.
Also, Uber Eats says that this feature is intended as a last resort when the driver has completely failed to get payment from the customer and that any driver who uses it too often might get banned.
Moreover, this is one of the reasons many Uber Eats drivers refuse to take orders that are supposed to be paid in cash.
What Payment Methods Does Uber Eats Accept?
You can use the following payment methods on Uber Eats:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Gift cards
- Apple Pay
- Uber Cash
Additionally, these payment options are available depending on where you are. For example, cash is only available in select markets, and Venmo isn’t available outside the US.
Uber Eats takes cash but only in certain areas. If you’re somewhere where it’s allowed, it will show up along with your other payment options at the checkout.
Also, when an Uber Eats driver takes a cash payment, it becomes a debt that they have to pay the company.
Aside from cash, Uber Eats also accepts credit and debit cards, Paypal, Venmo, gift cards, and Apple Pay.
If you’re using Uber Cash, it will be applied automatically if you’re using a personal profile, and you’d have to switch to a business profile to toggle this feature off.