Walgreens is one of the largest drugstore chains in the U.S., with 8000+ stores spread all over the country.
It offers a wide range of convenience services and has a dedicated section in each store for photo-related services. So you may be wondering: does Walgreens scan photos?
Here is everything I’ve found out about scanning photos at Walgreens!
Does Walgreens Scan Photos?
Most Walgreens stores do allow customers to scan photos at the ‘Photos’ kiosk. Once an image has been scanned, Walgreens customers can either print these (paying $0.35 for a standard 4×6 photo) or burn them onto a CD (each CD costs $3.99 and holds up to 999 photos).
If you want to know more about the process for scanning photos, the editing options available, and how to get the best scanning results, keep on reading!
How Can You Scan Photos At A Walgreens Store?
Once you are in a Walgreens, you can scan photos located at the ‘Photos’ kiosk counter. You can ask an employee to point you in the direction of this counter.
Once you’ve found the scanning kiosk, here are the steps you have to follow to scan your photo:
- Pull out the little drawer under the kiosk’s screen to find the scanner and place your image inside it (facing down)
- Tap ‘scan’ on the screen to get a preview
- Check if the orientation of the preview image is correct (adjust if it isn’t) and tap on ‘scan’ again
- Select the size you want for the scanned image from the list of options (the default size is 4×6)
- Adjust the brightness, contrast, and color saturation of the scanned image
- Check for unwanted edges in the image and crop them out
- Save and finalize your settings
Once you’re done with the final step, your photo is scanned and ready to be printed onto photo paper or burned onto a CD.
How Many Photos Can You Scan In One Session At Walgreens?
You can only scan up to 24 photos in one session at the photo kiosk in Walgreens.
How Can You Obtain Your Scanned Photos?
You have two options for obtaining your photos after scanning:
- Burn them onto a CD (each CD can hold a maximum of 999 photos)
- Print hard copies of the photos (using photo paper)
Can You Scan Images From Walgreens Onto An SD Card, USB Drive, Or DVD?
Unfortunately, no. According to the Walgreens website, customers are not able to transfer scanned images to devices such as SD cards, USB drives, external hard drives, or DVDs.
However, there have been reports that some employees at Walgreens can help do this if they have the resources and the store is busy.
How Much Does It Cost To Scan Photos At Walgreens?
You do not have to pay anything for scanning the photos at Walgreens. However, Walgreens only permits you to either print your scanned photos or burn them onto a CD.
Therefore, if you decide to print your photos, you will have to pay for each print you obtain. A standard 4×6 photo costs $0.35 to print. Refer to the following table for complete pricing and mailing information for all print sizes.
If you decide to burn your photos onto a CD, you will have to pay $3.99 for each CD.
Can You Edit The Photos Once They Are Scanned?
Yes, you can edit the color saturation, brightness, and contrast of each photo once it has been scanned. You can also crop it as needed to remove unwanted edges.
How Can You Ensure the Best Results While Scanning?
You can follow these 3 tips to improve the quality of your scanned photos:
- If the scanner glass has smudges, these will show up on your scans and will prove to be difficult to edit out. Borrow a microfiber cloth from the photo specialist and clean the glass before you scan your photos
- Stick to the 4×6 standard photo size. The larger the print size, the more pixelated your photo will become
- Apply the auto-fix settings to let the system adjust the brightness, contrast, and color saturation automatically
If you have just scanned some photos that you are wanting to send to a relative or friend via USPS, you can actually buy stamps from Walgreens!
Walgreens does indeed scan photos at the ‘Photos’ counter in every store, allowing a maximum of 24 scans per session (each to be done individually). You can either print these photos, paying $0.35 for a standard 4×6 photo, or burn them onto a CD that costs $3.99 and holds up to 999 images.