Did you know that more than 30% of eCommerce orders get sent back? Indeed, shopping online can be pretty tricky, that’s why it’s a good idea for businesses to include prepaid shipping labels with their outbound FedEx packages.
Not only does including a return label make life easier but it also increases customer satisfaction and repeated business. In this article, you’ll learn what return labels are, how they work, and how to create one, so keep reading!
What Is a FedEx Return Label?
A FedEx return label is a prepaid and pre-addressed shipping label that provides customers with a seamless returns process in 2023. By including return labels with packages, businesses benefit from faster, more efficient returns. Return labels can be printed or emailed to customers. Pricing is calculated automatically and is based on the shipping service, package weight, and distance.
Make sure to read this entire article to learn everything you need to know about shipping labels, along with other related facts!
How Do FedEx Return Labels Work?
To create prepaid return labels, online merchants must:
- Choose a service and shipping option according to their budget
- Enter the business address for returns and include some information to identify items for inventory management
- Make a payment to cover the cost of the return shipment
What Types of FedEx Return Labels Are There?
There are four types of FedEx return labels. Let’s take a closer look at each of them:
- FedEx Print Return Label – This prepaid label solution is perfect for medical records, legal documents, and warranty services.
It costs the seller nothing until it’s used and can easily be tracked by linking it to the outbound shipping label.
- FedEx Email Return Label – This is an electronic version of a return label. It can be sent to customers with a password-protected barcode.
Customers can either print the label or present the barcode at a FedEx Office location.
- FedEx Express Billable Stamps – These are preprinted labels that have the return address and advanced shipping options chosen by the sender, and are cost-effective and make managing shipments easier.
- FedEx Ground Package Returns Program – This service allows businesses to send printed labels to customers with their shipments or on request.
Why Should I Include a FedEx Return Label With Orders?
If you’re an online merchant on a tight budget, you might be wondering why you should spend the extra money to include return labels with customer orders.
In fact, there are many reasons to do so.
Not only do they make returns easy for customers (thereby increasing customer satisfaction and repeat business), but they’re also a great way to process returns quickly and without errors.
What’s more, sellers can control return costs by selecting the cheapest shipping option offered.
How Do I Create a Return Label for FedEx?
By now, we hope you’re convinced of the importance of providing FedEx return labels to your customers. Now, let’s see the step-by-step instructions for creating one:
- Navigate to the FedEx website and select the United States from the Shipping Location drop-down menu. Enter your FedEx user name and password, then click the Login button.
- Hover over the Ship tab with your mouse and select the Create Shipment option.
- Click the Prepare Shipment tab on the FedEx Ship Manager page and select Create Return Shipment from the drop-down list.
- Enter your company’s shipping information in the Return Package To section. Next, enter the required shipping information (name, address, phone number) in the Return Package From section.
- Click the Return Label Type from the drop-down menu and select whether you want to create a printed return label, an email label, or use an alternative option like a FedEx Express Tag or a FedEx Ground Call Tag.
- Click the Package Type drop-down menu and select your preferred return delivery method.
- Enter the required package details, including the type of item being returned (e.g. box, tube, envelope), the number of packages in the shipment, and the weight of the returned item.
- Review the billing information that automatically appears in the Billing Details section. To change the billing account, click the Billing Details section.
- Click the Ship button to process the shipment. Review the shipment details on the confirmation page. If you chose the print option, click the Print button.
How Much Is a FedEx Return Label?
Pricing for FedEx return labels is based on the weight of the package, the shipping service selected, and the distance the package will travel.
As a general rule, packages that weigh more, are shipped quickly, and have a long distance to travel are the most expensive.
However, keep in mind that you only need to pay for labels that are used. In other words, you won’t get charged until a package enters the mail stream.
To learn more, you can also read our posts on whether or not FedEx print labels, do FedEx labels expire, and FedEx UK shipping.
Return labels are a win-win for both businesses and customers. They benefit businesses in that they provide a streamlined returns process that stays on budget. For customers, they make returns hassle-free.