PetSmart doesn’t only mind the lives of pet owners and pets, but it’s also committed to creating programs that enhance the living standards of its associates.
One such program is the PetSmart Tuition Assistance program, which is reported to uplift several associates’ lives. Read on if you want to know what PetSmart Tuition Assistance entails!
What Is PetSmart Tuition Assistance In 2022?
PetSmart Tuition Assistance is a program under PetSmart that encourages the continuation of education and professional development of PetSmart associates in 2022. In this program, PetSmart offers tuition assistance for full-time and part-time associates who have worked for approximately 20 hours a week or more in the preceding 12 months.
Keep reading if you want to find more information on the PetSmart Tuition Assistance, including how it works, and other important details of the program!
How Does PetSmart Tuition Assistance Work?
Ideally, PetSmart Tuition Assistance is designed to help associates achieve their academic and professional goals and, in the long run, offer a meaningful #LifeAtPetSmart.
In order to benefit from this program, participants have to submit an application each semester, which includes the classes for reimbursement and approval from the direct manager or supervisor.
The associate only receives reimbursement of their tuition expenses upon completion of their courses, submission of grades, and receipts.
What Are the Associate Eligibility for PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
The eligibility criteria for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance are as follows:
- The associate must have a 1-year of continuous service with PetSmart.
- The associate must be a full-time employee or must have worked for an average of 20 hours or more a week in the past year from the time of application.
- The associate must have demonstrated satisfactory performance based on the last performance review.
- The associate must not be on a performance improvement plan at the time of application.
- The associate must discuss their career development plan and academic goals with the direct manager or supervisor before applying to the program.
- Ultimately, the direct manager or supervisor must approve the application as part of the application process.
- The associate must ensure that the application is submitted 30 days before or after the course’s start date.
What Is the Course Eligibility Criteria for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
The criteria for Degree and Course eligibility for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance is as follows:
- The undergraduate or post-graduate course must be directly related to the associates’ work or a future PetSmart position.
- The PetSmart associate must be registered in a degree program at an accredited institution since certification programs are not eligible for tuition assistance.
- The course taken must be part of the registered program. In addition to this, a core or elective course that leads to the completion of the degree program is also acceptable.
- The associate must submit a new application for each semester/quarter/ course.
- The registered course must not interfere with the associate’s regular work schedule.
- Workshops and seminar classes are not eligible for reimbursement of tuition assistance.
Does PetSmart Offer Tuition Reimbursement?
PetSmart does offer tuition reimbursement of up to $3,500 annually for eligible associates.
In addition, the associates can receive the full perks and benefits of the program after 6 months of continuous service, with an average working time of 15 hours per week.
What Are the Reimbursement Guidelines for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
The reimbursement guidelines for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance are as follows:
- Associates must submit final grades and receipts within 30 days of course completion.
- PetSmart Tuition Assistance will only cover eligible courses.
- The expenses eligible for reimbursement of the tuition assistance program include tuition fees, registration fees, textbooks, and lab fees, if applicable.
- The reimbursement will not pay for meals, mileage, lodging, transportation, car rental, student activities, and parking fees.
- After completing approved courses, and receiving eligible grades and receipts, PetSmart will reimburse the student 100% (with a limit of $3500) of expenses incurred.
- Associates will only receive the payment after completing courses, and the submission of necessary receipts, pertinent documents, and grades. PetSmart does not approve or provide advance payment of the tuition expenses.
- Associates must achieve at least a grade ‘C’ to receive reimbursement.
- PetSmart associates applying for reimbursement must be on active status with the company to receive the funds.
What Is the Reimbursement Procedure for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
The procedure for reimbursement of the PetSmart Tuition Assistance is as follows:
- The associate must submit applications within 30 days of the course start date, along with the degree plan/program by mail, email, or fax.
- The mail address is: PetSmart, Inc. Attention: HR Shared Services- Tuition Reimbursement 19601 N. 27TH Avenue Phoenix, AZ 85027
- Fax: 1-800-738-9912
- Email: TuitionAssistance@PetSmart.com.
- Once the eligibility of an associate is determined, they will be notified by phone or email.
- The associate must provide the final grade, official documentation, and receipts of expenses within 30 days of course completion.
- The PetSmart Tuition Assistance Program Coordinator will complete the reimbursement process within 4-5 weeks upon receipt of satisfactory proof of course completion and payment.
What Is the Tax Information Associated with the PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
For PetSmart associates in the US, the fees reimbursed for the eligible courses may be excluded from gross income, and from wages of employment tax purposes up to $5,250 annually.
However, these statistics may vary yearly based on the applicable federal regulations.
What Are the Repayment Requirements for the PetSmart Tuition Assistance?
Repayment conditions of the PetSmart Tuition Assistance are applicable if a beneficiary of the program terminates their employment contract within 12 months of receiving the reimbursement.
If this happens, the following conditions apply:
- The associate must repay PetSmart all or a portion of the fees reimbursed through the PetSmart Tuition Assistance.
- The repayment amount is calculated by multiplying the total amount of the fees reimbursed by the number of months left in the 12-month period divided by 12.
- PetSmart may withhold some funds from the associates’ final paycheck up to the amount due for reimbursement repayment.
- If the repayment is not deducted from the final paycheck, the associate must agree to pay the amount due within 30 business days from the day of termination.
- Any unpaid amount may be pursued through collection action and accrue interest at the prime rate.
The PetSmart Tuition Assistance program is a PetSmart program that advocates for associates’ academic continuation and career development.
Eligible associates must submit applications to receive a reimbursement of up to $3500 on their tuition expenses.