If you have Verizon, then you know the company has a ton of additional features and services that’ll enhance your experience, and some of the features are meant for account security.
However, you might not be aware of a feature called Verizon Number Lock, and I’m going to tell you what I’ve discovered about this below, so keep reading to learn all about it!
What Is Verizon Number Lock In 2023?
Verizon Number Lock is meant to protect your mobile device from an unauthorized port out, which is when a scammer uses your information to transfer your phone number to a different carrier. Once you have Number Lock enabled on your device, no one but you can transfer your number to another carrier in 2023.
Do you want to know more about Verizon Number Lock, like if it’ll cost you additional money to set up? Well, continue reading to find out the answer to that question, plus so much more!
Is Number Lock Free for Verizon?
Number Lock is free for Verizon, and there are no additional charges whatsoever to use this feature on your mobile device.
How Do I Set up a Verizon Number Lock?
It’s very easy to set up your Verizon Number Lock, so that your phone number is protected from an unauthorized port.
You can set up your Verizon Number Lock by following these steps:
- Open the My Verizon app
- Click “Settings” on the right side of the app
- Select “Number Lock”
- Toggle the switch to turn on Number Lock for the phone number you want to lock
Additionally, you can turn on the Verizon Number Lock feature by using the My Verizon website, and just follow the simple steps below to complete the process:
- Log in to your My Verizon account online
- Click on the “Number Lock” section of the website
- FInd which mobile number you want to have Number Lock enabled for
- Select “On” for that number and then select “Save” to save your changes
Furthermore, it’s important to note that once you’ve enabled Number Lock on a phone number, you cannot port out the number, unless you disable Number Lock beforehand.
How Do I Turn off Verizon Number Lock?
To turn off Verizon Number Lock, you’re going to need to be the account manager or owner, and you can choose to turn off Number Lock by one of the following methods:
- Dialing *611 from your mobile device to reach customer service
- Using the My Verizon app
- Using the My Verizon online website
For example, if you’d like to use the My Verizon app to turn off Number Lock, follow the steps below:
- Open the My Verizon app
- Go into “Settings” on the right side of the app
- Select “Number Lock”
- Find the number you’d like to unlock
- Toggle the switch so that it’s black, which means it’s disabled
In addition, you can also choose to turn off Number Lock through the My Verizon website by following these steps:
- Log in to your My Verizon account
- Go to the “Number Lock” section of the website
- Find the number you want to unlock
- Select “Off”
- Wait for the authorization code to be sent to your mobile device to confirm the request
- If you didn’t get a code, then you can select “Send Code” to retry
- Once you get the authorization code, you will need to enter it into the website
- Select “Submit,” and then select “OK”
- Lastly, select “Save Changes,” and that number is now unlocked for you to port to another carrier
Is Number Lock on Verizon Safe?
Number Lock on Verizon is safe, although there’s no guarantee it’ll stop someone who is looking to participate in port-out scams, as they are called.
However, without a Number Lock on your mobile phone number, someone who knows your phone number, date of birth, or location can call customer service and port out your number!
As long as the scammer knows basic information, they will take over your identity if they call customer service, and can even transfer the number to a different SIM.
Therefore, using Verizon Number Lock is an additional layer of security added to your device that, when enabled, stops the scammer from being able to call and port your number.
Once enabled, no one can port your number. Not even you can do it, unless the Number Lock feature has been disabled on your account beforehand.
Additionally, even if the scammer knows your Verizon login information, such as username or password, they cannot disable Number Lock without your device.
When you use the My Verizon website, the code that is sent to your device during the Number Lock disable request will alert you that someone is trying to access the account and turn it off.
Thus, the Number Lock feature is going to be the safest option for you to protect your number from an unauthorized port.
To know more, you can also read our posts on what is Verizon Number Share, what is Verizon safety mode, and Verizon Message+ backup.
Verizon Number Lock is a feature that Verizon has, which will prevent scammers from porting out your number to another mobile carrier or SIM card without your authorization.
The Number Lock feature is free for everyone using Verizon, and can be turned on or off through the app, My Verizon website, or by calling customer service.
Also, you will be unable to port out your number once the feature is enabled, unless you turn it off manually.