We all know cell phones are expensive, which is why it’s always disappointing when you purchase a defective phone. However, do you know the Verizon Return Policy for defective phones?
Well, I’m going to tell you everything I’ve found out about the Verizon Return Policy if you received a defective phone, such as how long you have to return it, so keep reading to learn all about it!
What Is the Verizon Return Policy for Defective Phones In 2023?
The Verizon Return Policy regarding defective phones states that you have 30 days from the time of purchase to return the phone and get a new one for free. If you’re outside of that time frame, you may be eligible for a Like-New Certified replacement phone, which is also at no cost to you in 2023.
Do you want to know more about the Verizon Return Policy for defective phones, such as how to get a replacement? If so, continue reading below, and I’ll let you know what I’ve found out!
How Long Do I Have to Return My Broken Phone to Verizon?
The length of time you have to return your broken phone to Verizon depends on whether you have Device Protection or not, and similar factors such as meeting in-warranty requirements.
However, if you don’t have Device Protection, you have 30 days from the date of purchase to return the defective phone and you will get a new one for free!
Additionally, you have the option to get a Certified Like-New replacement phone for free if it has been longer than 30 days, but less than 1 year since the device purchase.
What Are the In-Warranty Requirements?
To return your broken phone to Verizon and get a replacement, you must meet the in-warranty requirements, which consist of the following:
- You cannot have a past-due balance on your account of more than $24.99
- You cannot have a written-off balance on your account over the last 7 years of more than $50
- Your account must be active at the time
- You must have returned any defective device, and cannot have a non-returned defective device note on your account
Can I Track the Shipment of a Verizon Replacement Device?
If you’re getting a Like-New replacement device, you’ll be emailed with the order details, including an order number and confirmation of the device.
Furthermore, you can go into the “Order Status” page, and can use the order number to then track your replacement device during the shipping process.
How Long Do I Have to Return the Defective Phone to Verizon?
You have only 5 days from the time you receive your Certified Like-New replacement device to send back your defective phone.
Further, if you fail to return the device within that window, Verizon will charge you for the replacement device at the full retail price.
Do I Have to Erase a Defective Phone Before Sending it Back to Verizon?
Whether you have to do anything to your defective device before you send it back depends on what, if anything, you can still do with it.
For example, if the device is bricked, then you aren’t going to be able to do anything. However, if you just have a small defect, then you will need to perform the following steps:
- Disable Find My Phone- This is a requirement to disable the Find My Phone feature on either iOS or Android device before shipping it
- Check for phone damage- Verizon can charge you a damaged device fee if the damage is unreasonable (here’s a guide on how to check for phone damage)
- Backup all of your content- You want to backup your videos and pictures, as well as contacts before shipping the phone back
- Remove the device accessories- This includes the battery, SD card, SIM, USB cable, and any other accessories on the phone
- Factory reset- It’s always a good idea to factory reset the device to ensure all information on the device is wiped clean, such as personal information
- Turn iMessage Off- If you have an Apple device and will be replacing it with an Android device, then turn iMessage off so you’ll still receive texts from those on Apple devices
Additionally, if you don’t have a Verizon account yet, now would be a good time to join My Verizon and download the app to another device if you have one or use the website.
How Can I Return a Defective Phone to Verizon?
Once you’ve completed the above steps, you will need to ship your defective device to Verizon, which takes only a few minutes if you follow the return guide below:
- Put your phone under the cardboard insert of the shipping box
- Make sure your phone is placed under the film
- Seal up the shipping box
- Put the shipping label on the outside of the box
- Look at the shipping label to see where it needs to be dropped off (such as UPS)
- Drop the box off at the nearest carrier location
- Get a receipt showing the tracking number, and hold onto it as it could be needed later
The Verizon Return Policy on defective phones is that you can return the device within 30 days of purchase to receive a new phone for free!
Additionally, you can get a Like-New Certified replacement phone if you’re outside of the 30-day window, but less than 1 year into the purchase.