When reading through job descriptions for Walmart roles, I recently came across Walmart CAP Team Associate. However, if you’re like me, you may have no idea what this position is.
Since Walmart is known for having so many job openings, a CAP Team Associate may be a role that you can find yourself working in. Therefore, let’s discuss what CAP means at Walmart and see if it may be a good career for you!
What Does CAP Stand For At Walmart in 2023?
CAP stands for Customer Availability Process, and the position at Walmart includes working behind the scenes at store locations to help make sure inventory is processed and available for Walmart customers. Each level of CAP has specific duties and requirements, such as the CAP Associate being tech-savvy, detail-oriented, and able to work with heavy objects.
If you want to learn more about what a CAP Associate is, what a Walmart CAP associate does, and more, keep reading to see what else I learned about this position!
What Is A Walmart CAP Team Associate?
Although most are familiar with cashiers, sales team, and merchandiser roles in retail, the Walmart CAP Team associate is a role likely unheard of for many.
At Walmart, CAP stands for Customer Availability Process. CAP Team Associates work in the Walmart warehouse and perform inventory functions such as auditing, maintaining inventory management systems, and correcting shelf capacities.
There are three levels for CAP Team Associates at Walmart:
- CAP 1 Associate: Completes price changes, updates signs and works bins
- CAP 2 Associate: Unloads trailers, pulls pallets, and helps process the received products
- CAP 3 Associate: Unloads trailers, pulls pallets, labels boxes and helps process the received products
CAP software is used in retail to efficiently organize products that are available at stores. Each CAP associate has access to handheld POS (point of sale) devices that allow them to quickly audit inventory and change prices of products in the store.
Additional information about CAP and POS software used by CAP Team Associates at Walmart can be found by viewing this video.
What Does A Walmart CAP Team Associate Do?
Since there are three tiers of CAP Team Associates at Walmart, some duties are shared while others are unique to each role.
At all levels, CAP Team Associates are responsible for general merchandising, receiving shipments, and processing store inventory to ensure that adequate amounts of products are available to Walmart customers.
However, the individual roles carry many different duties, of which are listed below:
Walmart CAP 1 Team Associate Duties
- Providing excellent Customer Service
- Greeting all Walmart customers
- Promoting Walmart products & services
- Locating merchandise
- Helping resolve customer issues
- Working in an assigned area of the Walmart store
- Completing price changes and updating merchandise signs
- Completing Section Work – Modular integrity, product inventory, and shelf capacity errors
- Ensuring proper fixtures, supplies, and tools are used for tasks
- Printing, setting, and finalizing Modulars, set features, and seasonal areas
- Ensuring merchandise settings and fixtures are secure
Walmart CAP 2 Team Associate Duties
Unlike CAP 1 Team Associates, CAP 2 Team Associates mainly work inside of the Walmart warehouse and around the receiving docks. Some of their other duties are as follows:
- Prepare the receiving area for incoming shipments
- Unload and sort product trailers
- Maintaining cold chain for refrigerated and frozen incoming shipments
- Taking pallets to the sales floor for overnight processing
- Assisting in stocking the sales floor as assigned 7. Label and place overstock merchandise
Walmart CAP 3 Team Associate
CAP 3 Team Associates perform some of the same duties as required of both CAP 1 and CAP 2 Associates,as well as the following tasks:
- Prepare and label sales floor for store opening
- Set up merchandising and signs on the sales floor
- Label and place merchandise in the backroom bins
- Unload incoming trailers
- Take pallets of merchandise to and from the sales floor for processing
- Assist in stocking the sales floor as necessary
What Are The Qualifications For The Walmart CAP Team Associate Position?
Since Walmart has large amounts of inventory that must be processed every day, a smooth working team environment is needed to make sure the process is efficient.
Therefore, teamwork is one of the most important features of the CAP Associate role, as staff members should be able to work well with others.
In addition to having good teamwork skills, other skills that would be helpful in this role are the following:
- Ability to efficiently manage time
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work in a noisy environment
- Physical strength to lift up to 70 lbs.
- High School diploma or equivalent
However, it should be noted that the minimum age for CAP eligibility is 18 years due to the dangerous nature of working in the shipping and receiving docks.
How Much Does The CAP Team Associate Position Pay?
According to Indeed.com, past warehouse associates have reported earning between $31,654/ yr to as much as $41,718/yr.
As well, all Walmart employees can also receive attractive benefits such as quarterly bonuses, employee discounts, health and life insurance, tuition benefits, and retirement plans.
How Do I Find Walmart CAP Team Associate Jobs?
In order to learn more about the CAP Team Associate position and apply for open jobs, the Walmart Career Website is a great place to start!
Near the bottom of the page, you will find a blue button that says “Want to work at Walmart? Click Here!”
This link will take you to the jobs area to search for the CAP team and your desired work location.
After finding the role and location you prefer, clicking on the link will take you to a job description describing eligibility requirements and duties, and the apply link will prompt you to create an applicant profile before beginning your application.
Walmart CAP Team Associates work behind the scenes at store locations to receive incoming shipments, move items to the sales floor to be sorted and set up and ensure that prices and signage are accurate.
There are 3 roles to the CAP Associate team, and each role requires different duties to be performed in addition to the core responsibilities CAP teams carry.