EBT depends on a vast network of grocery stores to alleviate hunger and malnutrition among vulnerable Americans. Due to the fluctuating economy, many people opt to use EBT cards to purchase products at a lower price in grocery and retail stores.
Therefore, if you’re wondering if you can use EBT at Big Lots, here is everything you need to know!
Does Big Lots Take EBT In 2023?
Big Lots accepts EBT in all its outlets wherever eligible items are stocked under the SNAP guidelines in 2023. However, the company is working to have more outlets compliant with the EBT/ SNAP regulations to reach more people. Additionally, you can use the company’s website to identify which Big Lots’ store accepts EBT.
Read on if you wish to know more about EBT at Big Lots, which store locations accept it, and how you can benefit from the program!
How Can I Use EBT at Big Lots?
The SNAP/ EBT program is funded by the Federal government but administered by individual states.
Therefore, the procedure of using your EBT card at different Big Lots outlets may slightly vary depending on the state, but generally takes the following process:
- Check your balance to know how much you may spend by looking at your last receipt or calling the number on the back of your card
- Take your groceries to the checkout lane. Make sure all the items are EBT eligible
- Hand over your EBT card to the Big Lots clerk, or swipe it at the POS terminal
- Enter your four-number PIN into the keypad. Rather than the numbers you enter, the keypad will show asterisks (****)
- Press ENTER
- The clerk will enter the purchase amount and if it’s correct, press OK/YES
- Afterward, you will get a printed receipt that shows the store name and address where you have done your shopping, the amount for the purchase and your new EBT balance
Keep the receipt to tell you your balance next time you shop. Remember, you are not charged any fee for shopping on EBT.
Will Big Lots Accept My EBT From Out of State?
Big Lots will temporarily accept your EBT from out of state if you’re traveling.
However, if you are moving to a new state and intend to stay longer, then you must cancel your EBT benefits in your former state and re-apply in your new state.
Does Big Lots Accept EBT Online?
Big Lots has not officially communicated that it accepts EBT for online shoppers.
Therefore, you can only walk into a Big Lots outlet that accepts EBT payment to enjoy the fantastic variety of eligible products.
How Do I Qualify for a Big Lots EBT?
Big Lots has no special EBT qualification procedures. Once you qualify for the SNAP/ EBT program, you can shop in any Big Lots outlet that accepts EBT.
Under Federal regulations, to be eligible for SNAP benefits, a household must satisfy the following three conditions:
- Before deductions are applied, the household’s gross income must be at or below 130% of the poverty line.
- The household’s net income should be at or below the poverty line.
- Assets in a household without members with a disability must be below $2500. If members have a disability, assets should be below $3,750.
However, you don’t qualify if you fall under any of these categories:
- Unauthorized immigrants
- Individuals on strike
- A particular class of students attending college more than half the time
- A particular class of lawful immigrants
If you’re a non-disabled adult without children in the household, you can only get SNAP benefits for three months every three years.
What Items Can You Purchase With EBT at Big Lots?
SNAP is intended to provide supplemental nutrition to Americans who would not otherwise afford it, so only foodstuffs are eligible. The eligible foodstuffs fall under four broad categories:
- loaves of bread and cereals
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Dairy products
- Fruits and vegetables
What Items Can You Not Purchase Using EBT at Big Lots?
You cannot purchase the following items using EBT at Big Lots:
- Non-food products like toys, furniture, and mattresses
- Non-human food products (i.e pet food)
- Beer, liquor, wine, tobacco, and cigarettes
- Food to be eaten in the store
- Hot foods
- Vitamins or medicines
How Long Can I Use My EBT at Big Lots?
You can use your EBT card at Big Lots as long as it is current. The period during which your SNAP case remains active and continues to receive benefits is called the certification period.
Depending on your household situation, the certification period can run for 6, 12, or 24 months, after which you must recertify to continue receiving benefits.
If you don’t wish to have your benefits interrupted, you must apply to recertify at least 15 days to the end of your current certification.
You can also recertify midway through your certification if you wish to stop or readjust your SNAP benefits if your circumstances change.
Why Does Big Lots Accept EBT?
Big Lots accepts EBT to make essential food commodities accessible to many of its low-income shoppers so that they don’t have to go elsewhere.
Also, the retailer has now achieved the ability to consistently and sustainably provide frozen and refrigerated food.
USDA regulations require that a grocery store stocks five categories of staple foods. Three of these categories are as follows:
- Meat, poultry, and fish
- Dairy products
- Vegetables and fruits
Big Lots also relies on EBT coupons to attract and retain shoppers and increase sales of non-EBT approved products. Consequently, the EBT scheme itself generates profit for the retailer.
Which Other Stores Accept EBT?
Many nationwide retailers and local retailers such as Walmart and Aldi accept EBT cards.
To learn more information on which retailers accept EBT, you can visit the store’s website or the USDA website.
To find out more about Big Lots, you can also check our posts on whether or not Big Lots accepts coupons, if you need a membership for Big Lots and where is Big Lots.
Big Lots stocks plenty of wholesome and fresh food that it tries to make available to its loyal shoppers by facilitating government efforts through SNAP/ EBT.