Grubhub and Doordash are two of the biggest food delivery services in the country, and they operate using most of the same practices.
This leads many people to wonder whether one of the two companies owns the other. If this is you, read this article to find out!
Does Grubhub Own DoorDash In 2023?
Grubhub does not own DoorDash as of 2023. Grubhub is owned by Just Eat Takeaway, a food delivery company based in the Netherlands. DoorDash is a publicly-traded company meaning its shareholders own it, and you can buy stock in the company to own a part of it. Grubhub and DoorDash are direct competitors.
Read on to learn all you need to know about the relationship between Grubhub and DoorDash, including who’s in charge of both companies, which other companies they own, and more!
Do Grubhub And DoorDash Work Together?
Grubhub and DoorDash don’t work together because they’re separate companies with no significant ties.
They’re direct competitors, but they sometimes get involved in something together since they operate within the same industry.
For example, there have been joint lawsuits filed against Grubhub, DoorDash, and other food delivery services, and they have had to respond to them, but they rarely work together.
Similarly, when a law is introduced that affects how they conduct their business or generate revenue, they all respond to it. Other than that, Grubhub and DoorDash don’t work together.
Who Are The Investors Of DoorDash?
DoorDash is a publicly-traded company where almost anyone can buy shares, but the major stockholders are the following:
- Rowe Price Associates: 6.64%
- Morgan Stanley Investment Management: 4.47%
- Tiger Global Management: 3.67%
- The Vanguard Group: 3.32%
- Capital Research & Management: 2.84%
- Lone Pine Capital: 2.6%
- Sands Capital Management: 2.46%
- Baillie Gifford & Co.: 2.33%
- BlackRock Fund Advisors: 1.74%
- Morgan Stanley: 1.73%
Who Is The CEO Of Grubhub?
Grubhub’s CEO is Adam DeWitt, who took over the position in 2021 from company founder Matt Maloney.
Further, DeWitt went to Dartmouth College in New Hampshire and was previously on the board of Ritchie Bros, an auctioneer of large industrial items.
Also, Grubhub’s CEO does not own the company; they’re only tasked with running it, as ownership still lies with Just Eat Takeaway.
Who Is The CEO Of DoorDash?
DoorDash’s CEO is Tony Xu, who has held the position since 2013 and is one of the company’s co-founders.
When Was Grubhub Bought?
Grubhub was bought in June 2021 by Just Eat Takeaway for over $7 billion in stock. This deal was done shortly after Uber made an unsuccessful bid for Grubhub.
What Companies Does Grubhub Own?
Grubhub owns the following companies:
- LevelUp: a loyalty and payments company acquired for $390 million in cash in June 2018
- Tapingo: an online payment service acquired for $150 million in September 2018
- Foodler: a food processing service acquired for an undisclosed amount in June 2017
- LABite: a delivery service acquired for $65 million in May 2016
- Bask Labs: a food delivery service acquired for an undisclosed amount in April 2016
- Delivered Dish: a food processing service acquired for an undisclosed amount in December 2015
- DiningIn.com: a location-based service acquired for $8 million in February 2015
- Seamless: a food delivery service acquired for an undisclosed amount in May 2013
- Dotmenu: an eCommerce company acquired for an undisclosed amount in September 2011
- FanGo: a software company acquired for an undisclosed amount in August 2011
What Companies Does DoorDash Own?
Like Grubhub, DoorDash owns other companies, including the following:
- Caviar: a premium food delivery service acquired for $410 million in October 2019
- Wolt: a food delivery service acquired for over $8 billion in November 2021
- Scotty Labs: a self-driving vehicle company acquired for an undisclosed amount in August 2019
- Chowbotics: a robotics company acquired for an undisclosed amount in February 2021
Can You Work For Both Grubhub And DoorDash?
Yes, you can work for both Grubhub and DoorDash.
So, if you looked this question up because you’re interested in doing this and are concerned about a potential conflict, you shouldn’t be worried if you go through with it.
With that, Grubhub and DoorDash are separate companies, so you can work for both at the same time, and they probably won’t know about it.
Still, you would have to find a way to balance the two, so this move is advisable for someone struggling to find enough orders on either service by itself and is looking to fill that out.
To learn more, you can also read our posts on who owns Grubhub, why is Grubhub so expensive, and what is Grubhub Plus.
Currently, Grubhub does not own DoorDash. Instead, they are separate companies with minimal ties to each other besides being direct competitors.
Also, Doordash is a publicly-traded company, so ownership is with its shareholders, while Just Eat Takeaway owns Grubhub following a $7 billion acquisition in 2021.
Additionally, because they have no link to each other, you can work for both Grubhub and Doordash, but you would need to find a way to balance the two.