Grubhub has experienced significant growth within the past few years and has become one of the leading food delivery apps in the country.
When companies grow to this size, speculation about how they did it also increases. We looked into who owns Grubhub to see if this was a factor, so keep reading to learn more!
Who Owns Grubhub In 2023?
Grubhub is owned by Just Eat Takeaway, a food delivery company based in the Netherlands in 2023. Just Eat Takeaway bought Grubhub for over $7 billion in stock in 2019. When Grubhub was required, it was requested that the company be delisted from the NY Stock Exchange. Beforehand, Grubhub had merged with Seamless and both were bought by Just Eat.
Read on to learn all you need to know about who owns Grubhub, including the people in charge, the company’s history of ownership, and more!
Who Is the CEO of Grubhub?
Grubhub’s CEO is Adam DeWitt. DeWitt has held the position since late 2021 when founder and previous CEO Matt Maloney left to join the board of parent company Just Eat Takeaway.
DeWitt was previously the CFO of Grubhub and was a board member at Ritchie Bros, a Canadian auctioneer, before joining the company.
Is Grubhub Owned by Amazon?
Grubhub is not owned by Amazon but is owned by Just Eat Takeaway, while Amazon is an independent company with no ties to it.
Does Uber Own Grubhub?
Uber does not own Grubhub. Grubhub is owned by Just Eat Takeaway while Uber is an independent company.
With Uber Eats, Grubhub is one of its biggest direct competitors and they have very few ties to each other beyond this.
However, Uber tried to buy Grubhub shortly before Just Eat Takeaway did. At the time, Uber tried to merge Grubhub with Uber Eats, but these plans were stalled by antitrust concerns.
Observers noted that if the two companies were to merge into one, they would consolidate too much of the market and this would make it harder for their competition to operate fairly.
When these talks fell through, Just Eat Takeaway made an offer to buy Grubhub for $7.3 billion in stock and this was successful.
Despite both companies being huge in their own right, they were based in different countries so the merger wouldn’t affect the local markets as much as a deal with Uber would have.
Uber doesn’t own Grubhub, but it does own Postmates, which the company bought for $2.65 billion in stock in 2020.
Is Grubhub Owned by Doordash?
Grubhub is not owned by Doordash but is owned by Just Eat Takeaway, while Doordash is an independent company.
Who Owns Grubhub Seamless?
Grubhub owns Seamless as a subsidiary since 2013 when the two companies merged. When Just Eat Takeout bought Grubhub, it also got Seamless.
What Companies Does Grubhub Own?
Grubhub owns the following companies:
- Tapingo – an online payment service acquired in September 2018 for $150 million
- Foodler – a food processing company acquired in June 2017 for an undisclosed amount
- LAbite – a delivery service acquired in May 2016 for $65 million
- Bask Labs – a food delivery service acquired in April 2016 for an undisclosed amount
- Delivered Dish – a food processing company acquired in December 2015 for an undisclosed amount
- DiningIn.com – a location-based service company acquired in February 2015 for $8 million
- Seamless – acquired in May 2013 for an undisclosed amount
- Dotmenu – an e-commerce platform acquired in September 2011 for an undisclosed amount
- FanGo – a software company acquired in August 2011 for an undisclosed amount
How Much Is the Owner of Grubhub Worth?
This question is usually asked in reference to the company’s founder. In this case, it’s Matt Maloney, worth an estimated $150 million.
Grubhub’s actual owner is Just Eat Takeaway, and the company is worth a little over $6 billion as of mid April 2022 based on its market cap.
Grubhub’s parent company Just Eat Takeaway is a publicly-traded company and most of its stock is held by the following:
- J. Groen – 7.24%
- Caledonia (Private) Investments – 6.25%
- Tiger Global Management – 5.17%
- Cat Rock Capital Management – 5.13%
- S.A. Klarman – 5.13%
- BlackRock – 3.44%
- JPMorgan Chase – 3.49%
- Templeton Global Advisors – 3.13%
- Baillie Gifford & Co – 0.00% capital interest with a 3% voting interest
Grubhub is owned by Just Eat Takeaway, a food delivery service based in the Netherlands, following a %7 billion acquisition in 2019. Grubhub’s CEO is Adam DeWitt who replaced founder Matt Maloney in 2021.
Uber does not own Grubhub but it tried to buy the company before antitrust concerns got in the way. Shortly after this transaction failed, Just Eat Takeaway acquired Grubhub while Uber acquired Postmates.