Tuition assistance, also referred to as tuition reimbursement, is a type of employee benefit where the employer pays for part of the employee’s college schooling, usually when it’s something related to the job.
Petco offers several benefits to its employees as incentives and, if you’re wondering whether tuition assistance is among the perks, read on to learn what we found!
Does Petco Have Tuition Assistance In 2023?
Petco doesn’t have tuition assistance in 2023. Some reliable sources say that the company had it at one point, but we couldn’t find any mention of it in the list of benefits. We also looked at what some former and current employees had to say about the employee benefits, and several said that there is no tuition reimbursement at Petco.
Keep reading to learn all you need to know about tuition reimbursement and Petco, including the other benefits the company offers, and other companies with tuition assistance!
What Benefits Does Petco Offer?
Petco’s employee benefits do not include tuition assistance.
We found some sources that mention one, but they’re from years ago, so we can assume that they’re either presenting false information or Petco got rid of it.
According to one of these sources, Petco had a tuition assistance system that reimbursed up to 25% of an employee’s higher learning costs in job-related courses.
If you still want to work at Petco, and you’re interested in the company’s other employee benefits, it offers the following:
- Employee discount – Petco offers a 20% employee discount on most items and a 40% off items under brands owned by them
- 401(k) plan – you can contribute a portion of your pay to a 401(k) over time, and Petco will match part of it
- Deferred compensation plan – in this plan that’s limited to directors and above, you can choose to defer up to 85% of your base salary or all of your year end bonuses for reduced income tax, and a match from the company
- Medical – you can opt for medical coverage under a preferred provider organization (PPO), health savings account (HSA), or health maintenance organization (HMO) with financial support from Petco
- Dental – Petco offers dental coverage under different plans, some of which cover families
- Vision – you can get coverage for one eye exam every year, frames, standard, and specialized lenses, such as ones with scratch resistance or tint, and contact lenses
- Paid time off – Petco employees get PTO if they stay with the company long enough, usually 4 months minimum. How much time you get increases, depending on how long you’ve been with the company, e.g. someone who’s been there for 4 months will get up to 10 days or 80 hours, while someone that’s been there 10 years can get up to 28 days or 224 hours
- Commuter benefits – if you go to and from work using public transit, some money is taken out of your check before taxes, so you end up paying less up to $270
- Legal assistance – you, your spouse, or partner, and children under 26 can use a lawyer on Petco’s network as many times as you want, for services such as IRS audits, consumer protection, buying or selling a home, traffic ticket defense, personal bankruptcy, wills and estate planning, and juvenile court cases
Which Companies Have Tuition Assistance?
If you’re more interested in tuition reimbursement than anything, check out the following:
- Amazon – 95% up to an annual maximum
- Apple – up to $5,250 a year
- Best Buy – up to $3,500 for undergrad, and $5,250 for grad school
- Bank of America – up to $7,500
- Carmax – up to $5,250 a year for full-time, and $2,500 a year for part-time employees
- Chick-Fil-A – different options, depending on school
- Chipotle – 100% for certain courses, including high school diplomas, up to $5,250 a year for others
- Comcast – up to 20% at the University of Arizona
- Disney – 100% at Disney Aspire schools
- FedEx – up to $1,500 a year for courses related to the job
- Gap – up to $5,000 a year
- GEICO – up to $5,250 a year
- Home Depot – up to $5,000 a year for salaried, $3,000 for full-time, $1,500 for part-time employees
- KFC – annual grant worth $3,000, $2,500, or $2,000
- Marco’s Pizza – up to $5,250 at Bellevue University
- McDonald’s – employees at a franchise that’s part of McDonald’s Archways to Opportunities can get $3,000 reimbursed every year if they’re full-time managers or $2,500 otherwise
- Papa John’s – 100% through Dough and Degrees if you attend Purdue and work at a corporate-owned location
- Pizza Hut – up to 51% at Excelsior College
- Publix – up to $3,200 a year for college and university, up to $1,700 otherwise
- Starbucks – 100% for qualifying employees attending Arizona State University
- Taco Bell – up to $5,250 annually
- T-Mobile – up to $5,250 a year for full-time, and $2,500 for part-time employees
- UPS – up to $5,250 annually
- Verizon – up to $13,250 a year for full-time and $8,000 for part-time employees
- Wells Fargo – up to $5,000 a year
- Walmart – $1 a day for certain courses
Unfortunately, Petco does not have a tuition assistance program, although it might have had one in the past that reimbursed 25%.
Petco’s employee benefits include an employee discount, a 401(k) that it matches, medical, dental, vision, and PTO. Other companies with a tuition reimbursement program include KFC, McDonald’s, Chipotle, and Papa John’s.