Are you someone that is looking for a job, are over the age of 18, and have previous experience in sales or retail? If so, you can work at Home Depot as a sales specialist if you have a background or experience in a trade, such as plumbing, electrical, or kitchen design.
Therefore, if you’d like to learn more about this position, keep reading this article to see what I learned!
What is a Home Depot Sales Specialist In 2023?
A Home Depot sales specialist is responsible for customer service and selling merchandise offered in the store as of 2023. They have to be knowledgeable of merchandise in their department in order to answer customer questions, and ensure items are in stock based on the sales, know competitor prices, and keep their department clean and organized for customers.
Do you want to know more about the Home Depot sales specialist job position, such as what the hourly pay is and whether it’s a good job? Continue reading below to find out those answers!
What is a Home Depot Sales Specialist?
The Home Depot sales specialist has three main areas of job duties and responsibilities which are customers, store appearance, and in-stock initiatives.
Sales specialists will know about products and services offered in their department, and other job duties include the following:
- Greet customers
- Seek out customers in the store and smile
- Help customers locate merchandise
- Ask customers questions about their projects
- Describe the merchandise, including benefits and features
- Know the steps for completing projects
- Provide expert advice on merchandise and special orders
- Perform general customer service, such as mixing paint or making key copies
- Maintain stock daily
- Maintain stock in the showroom
- Look at the advertisements to ensure stock of sale items
- Talk to management if stock is low or out on sale items
- Perform packout processes and pack-down processes
- Check prices and presentation of merchandise daily
- Clean shelves, merchandise, and displays
- Set sales goals to support the store and store sales goals
- Be an expert in a department
- Knowledge of specific showroom products
- Sell a bigger project to customers by offering suggested services and merchandise related to their home improvement project
- Promote initiatives by Home Depot
- Know competitor products and prices
- Follow up on quotes
- Satisfy customers by marking down merchandise where appropriate
- Promote the Home Depot services that are offered at Tool Rental, Pro Desk, and the Special Services Desk
- Additional job duties that a manager assigns to the sales specialist
How Much Does Home Depot Pay Sales Specialists?
Home Depot sales specialists make $13.11 an hour on average, but the pay range can be between $12 and $17 an hour based on location and previous experience.
Do Home Depot Specialists Make Commission?
Unfortunately, the Home Depot sales specialists do not make commission, according to a former employee.
No in-store employees receive a commission to ensure an equitable working environment, although you can get a bonus based on store performance, which everyone in the store qualifies for.
How Old Do You Have to be to be a Sales Specialist at Home Depot?
Home Depot requires that you’re over the age of 18 to be a sales specialist at their stores.
What are the Requirements to be a Sales Specialist at Home Depot?
Home Depot has several requirements and qualifications beyond the age requirement that you have to meet to be a sales specialist, including the following:
- Be legally able to work in the United States
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to stand for long periods
- Ability to lift, handle, and carry materials that weigh up to 20 pounds
Additionally, Home Depot has preferred qualifications that aren’t mandatory, but would help you land this job and be successful, including:
- 2 years of retail, outside sales, or specialty retail experience
- Trade experience
- Certification for the department you want to work in, such as a certified kitchen designer
- Licensed contractor
- Certification from the American Society for Interior Designers
- Certification from the National Council for Interior Designers
- 2 years sales associate experience in a department
Is Home Depot Sales Specialist a Good Job?
According to employees online, a Home Depot sales specialist is a great job to have because Home Depot will train you to perform your job to the best of your abilities, and will offer support as you learn your way around the job.
While the job can be hectic during the busy season for home improvement (spring and summer), it’s known to be fun and you can learn a lot about home improvement.
Additionally, Home Depot takes safety seriously and they don’t cut corners, ensuring that safety rules are followed.
Employees say that the pay and benefits are great, along with the fact that the company makes you feel like family. Therefore, as long as you have good co-workers, you’ll enjoy the job.
However, depending on the store, you could have a bad manager, which could hinder your ability to perform the job, though it’s been noted that Home Depot selects their managers quite well for the most part.
A Home Depot sales specialist is responsible for customer service, ensuring items are in stock, and also ensuring store appearance. You’ll be greeting and smiling at customers, asking them about their project, and answering any questions they may have.
Overall, the sales specialist position is a good job to have if you have good co-workers and good management, and it’s a fun job where you learn a lot, feel safe, and receive support from the company.