With the retail sector highly dominated by fierce competition, it takes exemplary marketing plans to outshine competitors within the same industry.
For this reason, Walmart strategizes on campaign plans that lure customers to shop at their stores and not any other store, including Walmart gas. Well, in case you’re wondering what Walmart gas is, read more to see what I discovered!
What Is Walmart Gas In 2024?
Walmart gas is gas sold at Murphy USA stations that are close to Walmart stores in 2024. Operated and branded by Walmart, the gas stations provide conveniences for consumers to fuel and shop at the same time. In addition, customers can use their Walmart Plus membership to get fuel at discounted prices.
If you’d like more information on whether you can buy gas at Walmart, the discounts available and more, keep reading for more information!
Can You Buy Gasoline At Walmart?
You can buy gasoline at Walmart and Murphy gas stations located outside Walmart stores and Sam’s Club fuel centers.
In partnership with Arkansas-based company Murphy USA, Walmart set up gas stations outside their stores with the aim of driving traffic and sales into the store.
These gas stations are branded and operated by Walmart, with Walmart associates working at the pumps.
When Did Walmart Start Selling Gas?
Walmart has been running gas stations in front of Sam’s Club since 1997 and is currently running about 4,500 Murphy USA stations located in proximity with Walmart stores.
Does Walmart Give Discount On Gas?
Walmart doesn’t offer discounts on gas unless you’re a member of the Walmart Plus subscription plan and you’re near a participating station.
With the Walmart Plus subscription, members can save 5 cents per gallon when they refuel at participating Walmart & Murphy gas stations.
This subscription also allows members to enjoy the 5 cents per gallon discounts at participating Sam’s Club fuel centers.
How Do I Get 5 Cents Off Walmart Gas?
To receive 5 cents per gallon off Walmart gas at Walmart gas stations, you have to follow the steps below:
- Search for a participating Walmart station near you using the Walmart fuel station map.
- Sign in to your Walmart Plus account through the official Walmart app
- Under the Member’s prices on the fuel section, click on ‘Get Started’
- Click on the “Get Pumping” option to launch the QR code scanner and scan the code appearing on the pump screen
- Select your grade and begin fueling
- Once you complete the process, you’ll receive an e-receipt in the Walmart App
To receive 5 cents per gallon off Walmart gas from a Murphy USA or Murphy Express, you have to follow the steps below:
- Search for participating Murphy USA and Murphy Express stations near you using the Walmart fuel station map.
- Sign in to your Walmart Plus account through the Walmart app
- Under the Member’s prices on the fuel section, click on ‘Get Started’ and a 6-digit discount ID will appear on the screen
- While refueling, select Walmart Plus on the pump and enter the six-digit discount ID
- Select your grade and fuel
To receive 5 cents per gallon off Walmart gas from Sam’s Club fuel centers, you have to follow the steps below:
- Search for a participating Sam’s Club fuel center near you using the Walmart fuel station map
- Sign in to your Walmart Plus account through the Walmart app
- Under the Member prices on fuel, click on “Get Started”
- Click on the “Use Walmart Pay” to select your preferred payment method and launch the QR Code scanner.
- In case you don’t have records of your credit or debit card on the Walmart Plus account, you’ll be prompted to enter details in order to complete the transaction
- Scan the QR code appearing on the pump screen
- Select your grade and fuel, and you’ll receive an e-receipt on your Walmart App once you’re done.
How Do I Use The Walmart Gas Pump Discount?
You can use the Walmart Gas pump discount by fueling at eligible Walmart, Murphy USA, Murphy Express, and Sam’s Club fuel stations.
Once you’re at a participating fuel station, you can get the discount by selecting the members’ prices on your Walmart Plus account (accessed on the Walmart App).
It’s important to note that you can only apply the member discount through the pump and not inside the fuel station.
What Gas Does Walmart Use?
Walmart uses gas supplied by Murphy USA – a corporation that operates a chain of retail gas stations in close proximity to Walmart stores.
Under Walmart’s operations, Murphy USA supplies the following gasoline and diesel products at Walmart gas stations:
- E-10 – (10 % Ethanol, 90% Unleaded Gasoline)
- E-15 – (15% Ethanol, 85% Unleaded Gasoline)
- E-85 – (85% Ethanol, 15% Unleaded Gasoline)
- ULSD – Ultra-low-Sulfur-Diesel cleaner-burning diesel fuel with a maximum sulfur content of 15 parts per million (ppm)
- Winterized Diesel – provides extra starting power during winter
- Bio-diesel – A cleaner-burning diesel fuel made from natural and renewable sources
Where Can I Use A Walmart Gas Card?
You can only use the Walmart Gas card at Walmart, Murphy USA, or Sam’s Club fueling stations.
Do You Need A Walmart Card To Get Gas At Walmart?
It’s not mandatory to use a Walmart card to get gas at Walmart, but rather you can choose to pay for gas using your gift card, debit, or credit card.
How Much Is Walmart Plus When Fueling At Walmart Gas Stations?
You can purchase a Walmart Plus membership at $12.95 per month or $98 per year, including a 15-day free trial.
Once you purchase the membership, you become eligible for the benefits of the Walmart Plus program, which other Walmart members don’t qualify for.
For instance, you can enjoy fuel discounts from participating gas stations once you gain membership status from the Walmart Plus membership plan.
Other than discounts on fuel, Walmart Plus will also give you access to Unlimited free deliveries and the ‘Scan and Go’ feature for in-store shopping.
Can I Use A Walmart Egift Card For Gas?
You can use a Walmart Egift Card to purchase gas as long as you have the Gas Pump and Cart Walmart Gift Card. However, you can only redeem the Egift card at Walmart, Murphy USA, and Sam’s Club fuel station.
It’s also important to note that you have to pay inside the gas station and not at the pump when redeeming your Gas Pump and Cart Walmart Gift Card.
Furthermore, paying for fuel with the Walmart Egift card won’t grant you fuel discounts unless you’re under the Walmart Plus membership plan.
Why Is Walmart Gas So Cheap?
Walmart gas is cheaper compared to other fueling stations because Murphy USA buys unbranded gasoline.
With the gas station business known to have low-margin and extremely fierce competition, Murphy purchases unbranded gasoline so that it can sell gas at lower costs than its competitors.
What Is The Difference Between A Murphy USA And A Murphy Express Gas Stations?
The difference between Murphy USA and Murphy Express gas stations is that Murphy USA stations are located near Walmart stores and are branded and operated by Walmart, while Murphy Express operates independently.
Thus said, the Murphy USA stations are located next to Walmart stores while Murphy Express stores are standalone stations.
In addition to this, the Murphy USA gas stations are typically smaller and are set up like kiosks, while the Murphy Express stations are larger and built in the format of a traditional convenience store.
Walmart gas refers to gasoline sold at fueling stations near Walmart stores, which are owned by Murphy USA and branded and operated by Walmart associates to help increase sales in its stores.