The number of consumers using mobile wallets has skyrocketed into the billions and has been a long-awaited feature for Android users across America.
So with the popularity of mobile wallets, one might be wondering, does Walmart accept Google Pay and Samsung Pay? Here’s what I found out.
Does Walmart Accept Google Pay?
Unfortunately, Walmart does not accept Google Pay or Samsung Pay either in-store or online. Instead, customers can install Walmart Pay on Android smartphones to pay at registers and self-checkout aisles. Walmart accepts Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, and Amex debit and credit cards.
To learn more about Google Pay, alternatives, and Walmart Pay, keep on reading!
Why Doesn’t Walmart Have Google Pay Or Samsung Pay?
In short, Walmart doesn’t accept Google Pay and Samsung Pay as they would lose the valuable data that is captured when paying with mobile wallets.
Additionally, when customers download Walmart Pay, it allows Walmart to offer other services such as reward points, e-gift cards, and deal notifications.
While Walmart Pay doesn’t utilize the NFC technology for mobile payments, they have instead opted for a QR code system. This allows customers, even with older smartphones, to pay within the Walmart app.
Also, just like Google Pay and Apple Pay, Walmart Pay does allow customers to connect credit and debit cards to their account for quick payments.
How Do I Use Walmart Pay On Android?
Here is a quick guide on how to get started with Walmart Pay:
- You can download the Walmart app here for Android or here for iOS.
- Once downloaded, open the app and select Walmart Pay from the services screen. You can add your payment card information directly into the Walmart Pay section.
- Walmart Pay allows any major credit card, including Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Discover.
- Walmart Pay also allows Walmart Gift Cards, eGift Cards, and prepaid credit cards.
- You’ll need a 4-digit PIN for security or your fingerprint identification, but then you’re good to go shopping!
- Once you’re checking out, you will be able to launch Walmart Pay and use the displayed QR code to complete payment.
Does Walmart Pay Work the Same as Google Pay and Samsung Pay?
Not quite – while these services all work similarly in practice, they rely on different technology to process sales. Google Pay and Samsung Pay use Near-Field Communication to send your payment details to a payment register wirelessly when you hold your phone near it.
Meanwhile, Walmart Pay instead asks you to scan a QR code instead – meaning none of your financial details are actually transmitted during the transaction.
Can I get Cash Back With Walmart Pay?
Yes, you can! Walmart Pay is closely tied to the company’s rewards cards, including the Capital One Walmart Rewards Mastercard and the older Walmart Rewards Card.
According to credit card experts, you can get 5% cash back on Walmart.com purchases using your associated credit card, including grocery pickup and delivery.
What Payments Can I Use at Walmart?
Walmart accepts many other payment options at their in-store locations. You can try using any of the following:
- Credit cards like American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa.
- ATM/Debit/Check Cards, including the Walmart MoneyCard.
- Walmart Credit Card and Walmart MasterCard.
- Walmart Gift Cards and eGift Cards.
- Chase Pay.
- Amex Express Checkout.
- Affirm installment financing.
What Payments Does Walmart Not Accept?
Below are the forms of payment that Walmart does not accept in-store:
- Walmart Community and Business Card.
- Sam’s Club Advantage Member Credit Card.
- Cash on Delivery (COD).
- Purchase Orders.
- FSA Cards.
- Gift cards from other merchants.
- International Credit Cards.
- Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT).
- Apple Pay
Walmart does not accept Google Pay or Samsung Pay. However, the company has launched its own mobile wallet option, Walmart Pay.
This is accessible through downloading the Walmart application to iOS or Android and entering your payment information into your personal Walmart account.